PDA

View Full Version : Avid Announces SOFTIMAGE|XSI 4.2

wmendez
11-30-2004, 06:31 PM
http://www.avid.com/company/releases/2004/041130_xsi_soft.html

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v4/features/default.asp#1

Behavior 2.0 for Advance , Paint and Compositing for Essentials, Linux support for Foundation
OpenExr Support and more...

(Sales Pitch Mode)
DVD Bundle Promo good until Dec 15th, 2004 for more info contact Sales(AT)Softimage.com for more info.

tgremlin
11-30-2004, 06:36 PM
The links seem broken. They all point to http://products/.....
Seems the domain name is missing.

wmendez
11-30-2004, 06:38 PM
Soft site is currently being updated

StephanD
11-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Softimage customers who purchased any of the three packages of SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.4.0 software – Foundation, Essentials and Advanced – can immediately download the upgrade to v.4.2

Ya baby! :)

Doh,gotta wait.

ChristianFischer
11-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Compositing, Hybrid Vector, and Raster Paint in Essentials (http:///products/xsi/v4/features/default.asp#2)

wheeeheew :bounce:

thanks SI ... :love:

paulrus
11-30-2004, 06:52 PM
This answers one of the biggest questions I had when I bought XSI and moved over from LW - NewTek has always been very good about free upgrades but I was unclear about Avid. This is very good news indeed!

OpenExr support :buttrock:

Pal

mokba
11-30-2004, 07:15 PM
Is this update available for the educational version of 4.0? thanks, mokba

yog
11-30-2004, 07:24 PM
I can't believe my luck in this.

I purchase XSI Foundation :cool:

They slash the price of Foundation to a third shortly afterwards :rolleyes:

I didn't mind because by then I knew it was worth it :)

Shortly after I got an e-mail from Avid to say they are going to bump me up to Essentials free of charge :eek: :thumbsup:

Read this and realise I'm going to be getting the full Compositor and Raster Paint for free :bounce: :eek: :thumbsup: :applause:

Signal2Noise
11-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Rockin' good news!

Admittedly I haven't been doing any CG for the last long while (re: Halo 2) but now I gotta get back at it before I get buried in updates!:D

juanjgon
11-30-2004, 07:33 PM

Shortly after I got an e-mail from Avid to say they are going to bump me up to Essentials free of charge :eek: :thumbsup:

Read this and realise I'm going to be getting the full Compositor and Raster Paint for free :bounce: :eek: :thumbsup: :applause:
Yes ... i have this good luck too ... i love how Softimage think in his users ... i think that XSI is going to be really a revolution in 3D software :thumbsup:

liquidik
11-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Well, Softimage made another smart move, well they are hitting every bit !!!

Now I think that they need some high quality training like gnomon :P

I'll never regret the move from Maya to XSI :D

AdrianLazar
11-30-2004, 07:45 PM
well done softimage :thumbsup:

EdHarriss
11-30-2004, 07:46 PM
- It's a good day to be an XSI user.
- Behavior 2.0 for Free!
- and OpenExr Support. :)

benvu
11-30-2004, 07:56 PM
This is great news! Been wanting to learn Behavior and here's my chance! Thanks Softimage.

BeWare
11-30-2004, 07:57 PM
OMG! it just seems to get better & better at each release! well done, Soft! can't wait to get my hands on my ESS 4.2 update which now includes Paint & Compositing. Or maybe I'll just upgrade to ADV in order to get Behavior.
Santa Claus has come...

dotTom
11-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Now I think that they need some high quality training like gnomon :P

I'll never regret the move from Maya to XSI :D
So true. I've watched all the DVDs that shipped with XSI 4 and it's still not clear to me who they're actually aimed at, they're very "bitty" and seem to leap all over the place and jump from one skill level to another. I don't think they're either coherent or suitable as a introduction - they feel more like a bridging aid for someone who knows another app already. XSI is just as deep as Maya and as such would I think need a similar number of titles as say Gnomon produces for Alias's stuff.

It's one of those nasty chicken and egg situations that plagues other cool apps like Cinema 4D. Maya and Max have bitchin' 3rd party tutorial support (books, DVDs, you name it). ZBrush looks like it's also getting there in the education front. XSI is still pretty much supported by end users who are generous enough to make their experiences public.

I wonder if the Half Life 2 connection will actually benefit the XSI community in any tangible way.

SheepFactory
11-30-2004, 08:28 PM
You gotta love Softimage ,

Their point updates are better than full version updates of most other software.

AdrianLazar
11-30-2004, 08:49 PM
finnally misss Physically shader, hope it dosen't have the self shadowing problem like the one ported from maya :D

Heber
11-30-2004, 08:57 PM
from softimage.com:

."In XSI v.4.2, you can quickly preview Final Gathering lighting using fast look-up, ensure artifact-free results with precise photon volume accuracy control, and interactively render and tweak everything, including the fast rendering of true Sub Surface Scattering. "

does this mean sss is native to mental ray?? if so then im really excited i mean we all love diffusion shader but its not the easiest to get working
:)

Vertizor
11-30-2004, 09:06 PM
That quote is a little misleading. I was watching one of the Rendering training DVDs last night and the narrator explained that fast look-up attaches extra data to the GI photons and FG uses that extra data to do the fast look-up. Personally I didn't notice much difference with fast look-up on or off.

leigh
11-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Awesome! :buttrock:

Downloading right now... :D

JDex
11-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Oh no... Leigh has Behavior... we are doomed to see an army of Viggo Mortenson's marching through golden fields... :D

RayenD
11-30-2004, 09:18 PM
Great. Downloading before site gets jammed ;) Santa Claus came early hehe..

francescaluce
11-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Awesome what ??
hope you're not referring to the fast lookup it's there from ages.. and sure not about the misss_subsurface where xsi still does not support ligfhtmaps and rendertime writable textures...
Behavior 2.0 for Free! that's right... they never sold a copy at 17000, and now they give it to you for free instead to directly trash it !!!

it is the classic release that should be passed by silent, besides the revamped commercial strategy.. it is just a maintenance release. probaly also a good one.. but to be enthusiast about this.. you guys crazy.. if you paid for something it is just the minimum to have back.

ciao
francesca

alphatron
11-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Here's a PDF which includes a detailed breakdown of all the new features:

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v42/Documentation/features.pdf

The Lume shaders and the official inclusion of the mr SSS shader sound great.

leigh
11-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Oh no... Leigh has Behavior... we are doomed to see an army of Viggo Mortenson's marching through golden fields... :D

That's an excellent idea!

DevilHacker
12-01-2004, 01:29 AM
do you get the behavior download if you have foundations?

SpeccySteve
12-01-2004, 01:33 AM
do you get the behavior download if you have foundations?Nope, the way I read it is that you get it if you have advanced, if you have essentials you now get the fx tree etc , if you have foundation, not sure what you get, check the .pdf's for the details.

Looks like a bit of an early Santa for anyone with Ess / Adv licence at least, free compositor or crowd sim can't be a bad thing?

( this upgrade does apply to Edu versions? Because I was looking forward to playing with behaviour..)

Ollarin
12-01-2004, 01:44 AM
That's an excellent idea!
NOOOO! Don't do it Leigh! It would be better to have an army of Eowyn's or..Umm...GRAGH! I forgot what character Liv Tyler played in LOTR...BAH!

Oh! And the update! Looks awesome! I watched the videos on the new features, it looks so awesome. Must...Save...For...XSI...Meh!

SpeccySteve
12-01-2004, 01:58 AM
It would be better to have an army of Eowyn's or..Umm...GRAGH! I forgot what character Liv Tyler played in LOTR...BAH!
Arwen. If Santa is watching I would like Liv Tyler for christmas. I've been really good.

Spacelord
12-01-2004, 02:40 AM
Do you have to have maintence to get these point releases ?

JDex
12-01-2004, 02:57 AM
Do you have to have maintence to get these point releases ?
Nope... free to registered users.

Spacelord
12-01-2004, 03:17 AM
Good stuff, I went to download it and it was asking for customer id, I eventually worked out what that was ! cheers Jdex

private
12-01-2004, 03:25 AM

Why did they bump you up to essentials free of charge? Are point upgrades going to be free from now on?

Byla
12-01-2004, 08:11 AM
I am still not sure if I should switch from Maya to XSI. Maya sometimes reaaaally gives me headaches, but I am not sure if XSI would fix them.
But Cinema 4d stays in my pocket

Oh and yeah, pretty cool upgrade.

yog
12-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Why did they bump you up to essentials free of charge? Are point upgrades going to be free from now on?I purchased XSI Foundation about three months before Alias anounced the major price reduction of the whole product range. When I purchased there was not even a hint at a price drop, but afterwards Alias decided that anyone who had purchased at the old price between the begining of April but before the new price plan was anounced at Siggraph would get a free upgrade:)

Why ?

Dunno. Probably they thought it would be a good idea. And they were right :thumbsup:

Spacelord
12-01-2004, 10:08 AM
I purchased XSI Foundation about three months before Alias anounced the major price reduction of the whole product range. When I purchased there was not even a hint at a price drop, but afterwards Alias decided that anyone who had purchased at the old price between the begining of April but before the new price plan was anounced at Siggraph would get a free upgrade:)

Why ?

Dunno. Probably they thought it would be a good idea. And they were right :thumbsup:
Yog don't you mean Softimage ? not Alias ?

siouxfire
12-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Wow. It made me wince every time I thought about someone buying before the price drop - I'm glad to hear that Avid were good enough to upgrade those users. And adding Behavior to Advanced - that's beautiful (though I'm not really sure I want to see an army of Viggo Mortensons)

mattmos
12-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Wow. It made me wince every time I thought about someone buying before the price drop - I'm glad to hear that Avid were good enough to upgrade those users. And adding Behavior to Advanced - that's beautiful (though I'm not really sure I want to see an army of Viggo Mortensons)
Saw this coming a mile off, Avid just weren't selling any seats of advanced, though Foundation went through the roof - now people have a valid reason for the extra cost, and a good one at that! Well done Avid, another good business decision, I look forward to playing god with my crowds of minions in Behaviour (if I can ever get them to do anything)...

yog
12-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Yog don't you mean Softimage ? not Alias ?Heh heh :D

Yep I always get Alias and Avid (Softimage) mixed up :rolleyes:
My excuss is that even though I might be up and walking around, I never really wake up until mid-day :D

EdHarriss
12-01-2004, 09:21 PM
- This is for those of you that want to see....
- A bullet list of the new changes and additions in SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.4.2. (http://www.xsibase.com/news.php?detail=1177)

BeWare
12-01-2004, 09:48 PM
And they call this a MINOR release...

murtle
12-01-2004, 09:53 PM
I need :happytears: smiley for that.

dmonk
12-01-2004, 10:06 PM
THis is actually a huge update. I'm so glad it's a free update for fnd users. I bought Foundation about a month ago and am loving it. Kind of wish I had the cash for advanced now, but fnd is more than good enough.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.