PDA

View Full Version : Fix ISO Images - How?

Pretorian
11-30-2004, 04:24 AM
Hi!

Don't know if this is the right place for my question, so, if I'm wrong, sorry!

I have a ISO CD image file that seems to be broken. I can't open the file and I can't ask the person to make the image again. So, I was wondering if there is any way to fix the file and open it. Is this possible? Is there any app that can fix the file?

Thanks

loop29
11-30-2004, 07:28 AM
What kinda file format is it? Is it .bin .iso .nrg .ccd .img ? Probably Isobuster will help you out if it is not damaged too badly.

http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

regards

Pretorian
11-30-2004, 04:57 PM
Thanks!

It is an ISO file format. I'm downloading IsoBuster now to see how it works.

Else IsoBuster, is there any other way? Because if it doesn't fix it, what elese can I do?

Thanks

loop29
11-30-2004, 05:11 PM
Not much! If the image is heavily damaged there is not much of a chance that you get data out of it. Isobuster gives you the ability to unpack the files in the image in different formats and ways, unpack the files from the Joliet format, the ISO format will limit the characters of the file name and can cause some programs not to function properly.

regards

Pretorian
11-30-2004, 06:03 PM
I installed the IsoBuster and tryed to open the image ISO file very unsucessfull, it didn't worked!

I don't know how to fix the file, if I need to open it and fix after it is opened or if I can fix it before I open it. So, how do I fix it?

Thanks

MattClary
11-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Can you burn it to disk? I mean, tell Nero (or whatever) to burn that image?

Pretorian
11-30-2004, 06:56 PM
I guess yes. I opened it in Nero and it gave me not an error message, but a warning message. It says that the block size doesn't correspond to the leght of the file and ask if I want to fix it. So, I think that it can burn the image, but I don't want to burn the whole CD as I need only some files that are inside the image and to fix it Nero wants to burn the image. Does Nero can fix the image and send it to a file, without burning a CD?

Thanks

Apollux
11-30-2004, 07:22 PM
If you (or a friend of yours) has linux installed, you can mount the ISO file as if it were another hard disk, copy the files that you need, and the unmount the ISO. No need to burn it.

raz-0
11-30-2004, 08:08 PM
That error is pretty common for having made an image of something with copy protection on it. No matter what caused it though, it's a fairly unrecoverable error as far as I know.

loop29
11-30-2004, 08:21 PM
I installed the IsoBuster and tryed to open the image ISO file very unsucessfull, it didn't worked!

I don't know how to fix the file, if I need to open it and fix after it is opened or if I can fix it before I open it. So, how do I fix it?

Thanks
With what is Isobuster coming up when you open the file? Does it display the file image contents in the menu on the left?

lots
11-30-2004, 09:38 PM
Daemon Tools lets you mount ISO images like they were a hard drive in windows. ;)

IF the iso isnt damaged badly..

Pretorian
12-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Copy protection? Well, it's just an image from a backup he made from some works stuffs.IsoBuster says that "The Primary Volume Descriptor (PVD) is unreadable".

Does this mean something to you?

Thanks

TiSOy
12-01-2004, 04:13 AM
I extract ISO files all the time........maybe this will work, dont know if ur file is corupt,,,but here it is...Download winrar or undisker,,,,,they extract ISO files,,,it works for me all the time...and as for the CUE file for image file LIke BIN or some ISO,,,if it doesnt come with the cue file just make one,,,,,,,on ur desctop create a new file using wordpad,,,then type example

FILE "MAIN FILE" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00

then save as and name it as FILE.CUE [ FILE = the name of the main file ] and save it to the same folder....Then use nero and get the FILE.CUE only then burn it,,,,,it will automatically get the main file.......I hope this helps......

MattClary
12-01-2004, 11:33 AM
I think that it can burn the image, but I don't want to burn the whole CD as I need only some files that are inside the image and to fix it Nero wants to burn the image.
You could have already burned this to CD and had your files by now. Once you had it burned to CD you could have created a new ISO. It seems like a pretty easy fix, why are you so particular about HOW to fix the problem?

Pretorian
12-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Thanks guys for helping!

I tryed WinRAR but didn't worked too. Anyway, I will make what MattClary says and burn the CD.

MattClary: I said that I don't want to burn the CD because I only need some files, not the whole thing. It's a backup from some work stuff and I need some files that are inside the image, that's all.

Thanks guys!!

MadMax
12-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys for helping!

I tryed WinRAR but didn't worked too. Anyway, I will make what MattClary says and burn the CD.

MattClary: I said that I don't want to burn the CD because I only need some files, not the whole thing. It's a backup from some work stuff and I need some files that are inside the image, that's all.

Thanks guys!!
So you are willing to spend days trying to find out how to fix it to get one or two files, make a dozen posts asking for help and still not have the file or files you need..........

As opposed to spending 15 minutes of your time and .50 cents worth of blank CD and be done with it????????

That makes no sense at all.

Pretorian
12-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Sorry! I never thought in causing a so big problem to you! :sad:

glassefx
12-01-2004, 08:12 PM
I thought it was called an ASHO?

MadMax
12-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Sorry! I never thought in causing a so big problem to you! :sad:

Ok, you obviously don't get this. People are trying to help you, and you are rejecting the solution to getting your problem resolved. Why is that so hard?

a .50 cent CDR blank and 15 minutes will solve your problem, a number of people have asked why don't you just burn it and then create a new ISO from the extracted files.

But you just keep on with "but I only need a couple of files!" Great, we ALL Got that. Why don't you want to do what it takes to get them? If ISO Buster isn't letting you extract, then you can either burn it and be done with it or chalk up the files as lost.

Pretorian
12-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Yeah, ok, got it! Sorry, my fault! I accept that I was wrong... :) But I was not rejecting the solutions people gave me. But now things are ok! :thumbsup:

By the way, what's an ASHO?

Thanks anyway!

glassefx
12-02-2004, 01:01 PM
By the way, what's an ASHO?

LOL!

Being Silly I was! Sound it out...

Get it?

Pretorian
12-06-2004, 02:40 AM
I guess now I got it! :sad:

But, just curiosity... why that?

loop29
12-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Probably because a damaged image file canīt be burned to a CD-R, thatīs why it doesnīt make any difference if you try to get some files or the whole CD. And max, if he is rejecting some solutions it is no reason to get pissed about it.
Could you burn the CD?

regards

Pretorian
12-07-2004, 02:20 AM
Loop29: No, I couldn't. Seems the image is really damaged. But thanks for you attention.

The "why" earlier was for Glassefx, I wanted to understand why "I thought it was called an ASHO?" before. Later I (guess) understood what he wanted to say, as english is not my first language, and that's what I wanted to know, why he said that.

I was not rejecting the solutions, at least was not my intension. I agree with you Loop29, if someone want something else or diferent I guess the person has the freedom to ask. Again, I'm very sorry if I caused any problem or a misunderstood, or a bad impression or my intentions.

Hope to still count on you guys!

Best wishes! :thumbsup:

loop29
12-07-2004, 08:21 AM
Yes, thatīs why it doesnīt matter if you try to unpack some files with Isobuster or trying to burn it. If Isobuster canīt read the image it is most likely that a burn doesnīt work too. So far for not taking any help that is given, but noticed.
Thatīs a common thingy with native english speakers, others will not understand if they are not very very familiar with the english language. Once a girlfriend of mine was staying for one year in the U.S. in a school exchange. She has made an abbreviation while she was looking for her dictionary and was talking to the son of the family: "Hey, have you seen my dic. !"
The boy replied:" Yes, it was running around the next corner with a green rubber trenchcoat !"
Well....:rolleyes:

regards

thethule
12-07-2004, 03:22 PM
why don't you just download the file from your .."cough cough"..friend again? :)

Probably easier.

Regards,

Marc

Pretorian
12-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Loop29: well, yeah, sometimes things like that hapend! :)

Thethule: Be sure that I thought on that! :) But didn't wanted... a "people relationship" stuff problem...

Thanks All for all your attention, and sorry if I caused any missunderstood here!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.