PDA

View Full Version : maya 6 to xsi 4

bale
11-30-2004, 04:04 AM
hey everybody,
I just recently pruchased foundation so i could start my own mini studio. But i've been using maya unlimimted for the past year(school) do you know of any websites or anything where i could find a maya to xsi guide. I'm slowly getting it but i miss some of the stuff that maya has and i know xsi has but i can't find it. HAven't recieved my dvd's yet, any help would be appreciated. I did go to there site but the documents were a little brief.

JDex
11-30-2004, 04:40 AM
3dtutorial.com has a huge video tutorial covering a lot of the maya to xsi transition...
Getting Started with SOFTIMAGE|XSI by JEAN-PAUL LeDOUX (http://www.3dtutorial.com/xsi.php?detail=40).

If it's half as good as the other titles, it's worth twice the money. Shameless, but true.

benvu
11-30-2004, 10:36 AM
:thumbsup:
Awesome tutorial that took me about a week to complete. Well worth the time and money. Great job Jean-Paul, look forward to more advanced lessons! I started GETTING STARTED after I watched all the 3dbuzz VTMs. I also switched from Maya 6 less than a month ago and XSI is fantastic!

The RenderTree is still confusing and GETTING STARTED doesn't cover the FXtree compositing. I am hoping my Experience XSI 4 book will fill in the blanks and more. I am comfortable enough to have started on production work!

I also recommend printing out Softimage's Maya to XSI PDF guides. Very helpful and I wrote more notes on them as I went along.

bale
11-30-2004, 09:45 PM
thanks for the help guys..xsi seems to be pretty good but there hotkey layout is taking some getting used to.

benvu-are you using foundation? or there advanced?

Doublecrash
11-30-2004, 11:13 PM
I received my Foundation 10 days ago and I am too transitioning from Maya Unlimited... if you take a look into the single DVD that comes with the package you will find an entire section devoted to Maya/XSI transition. Not anything big, but a very useful way to start XSI-thinking...

Stefano

bale
12-01-2004, 12:08 AM
i was wondering how are you guys feeling toward xsi coming from maya?

Doublecrash
12-01-2004, 11:34 PM
i was wondering how are you guys feeling toward xsi coming from maya?
So far, I'm completely happy with XSI. I'm finding some ways to do things that I had headaches figuring out in Maya (and I'm only 10 days in the app).

Stefano

bale
12-02-2004, 03:27 AM
yeah some things are kool...but man i hate there hotkey setup! i have to reassign everything and i can't find the undo hot key

Shinova
12-15-2004, 04:29 AM
yeah some things are kool...but man i hate there hotkey setup! i have to reassign everything and i can't find the undo hot key

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but what I've found that works for me is to NOT try to bring old habits and "way" of working from one app to another. Start fresh, and get yourself used to the way XSI's hotkeys are. Once you're familiar with them, then start rearranging stuff.

Basically, trying to use XSI in a Maya way won't bring you much success.

EDIT: And Undo is Ctrl+Z, last time I checked, for both apps.

bale
12-16-2004, 10:28 PM
yeah your right, i've since quit working with maya and accepted softimages layout. Slowly i am getting quicker and finding out different ways of doing things.

yeah i had my undo hotkey set as Z in maya forgot all about ctrl z

Goon
12-17-2004, 12:51 AM
I'm also just starting to make the transition and i have this question:

How can I remap the keys for viewport navigation? I'm fine with using s instead of alt to activate it, but having the order for lmb/mmb/rmb be track/dolly/orbit instead of orbit/track/dolly is a bit difficult to get used to. As this should actually change much within the program, I would like to make this single modification.

CraigT
12-17-2004, 06:08 AM
Open Preferences, expand the "Tools" section and select "Camera". Just below the Undo section is "Nav/Dolly" which has a check box for an alternate mouse mapping- this option maps it to be like MAYA.

Craig

Goon
12-17-2004, 07:41 AM
Open Preferences, expand the "Tools" section and select "Camera". Just below the Undo section is "Nav/Dolly" which has a check box for an alternate mouse mapping- this option maps it to be like MAYA.

Craig
Sweet. thx

bale
12-17-2004, 09:03 PM
hhm yes..if you don't mind i would like to ask another question? Is there a repat last tool hotkey?

Ablefish
12-18-2004, 07:13 AM
I think the default mapping is the "." or "," key... I long ago remapped it to 'g'. (You don't often need hide/unhide grid anyways... shift-g does all viewports)

fjalar
12-23-2004, 02:21 PM
I downloaded the trial of XSI f this week. Just desited to use Xmas to try out XSI and I like it alot so far.
(Coming from Maya/max). I have gotten used to the viewport Nav in XSI now. But I am having problem with get the last tool if I have to use viewport Nav. Exsample:I am in poly mode and select some polys and then rotate the view to select more polys.
In maya one just uses the alt button(+mouse) and on release gets the same tool as was in use before.
Any Ideas!

dmonk
12-23-2004, 02:44 PM
I downloaded the trial of XSI f this week. Just desited to use Xmas to try out XSI and I like it alot so far.
(Coming from Maya/max). I have gotten used to the viewport Nav in XSI now. But I am having problem with get the last tool if I have to use viewport Nav. Exsample:I am in poly mode and select some polys and then rotate the view to select more polys.
In maya one just uses the alt button(+mouse) and on release gets the same tool as was in use before.
Any Ideas!
If I'm reading your question right, XSI operates the same way.

bale
12-23-2004, 02:54 PM
you hold down s key then you can rotate and pan/zoom like maya. forget about using the o and p and z keys
craigT

sorry i don't know how to quote in forums but this is what you do for the order like maya
being a longtime user of maya i find xsi to be pretty much on par with maya.

fjalar
12-23-2004, 02:54 PM
Sorry! I am stupid! Just found out that I can lock it in navigation mode by clicking the S button one time.

bale
12-23-2004, 02:58 PM
hhmm that's weird did you go into preferences and change your settings? i just tried it and it works fine. s key and any mouse button

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.