PDA

View Full Version : Analog capture for traditional animation

dvornik
08-28-2002, 01:12 AM
Sorry if it's off-topic, but I've noticed some of you guys have traditional background. I've asked this question on several animation boards and wasn't able to come up with a solution.

The place I work for needs a pencil-testing setup that would let students capture their drawings from an analog camera, adjust timing and preview on the computer monitor as well as NTSC monitor. Then output to videotape. Right now we are using a very old DPS PAR (personal animation recorder) that is almost dead.

I looked into several solutions, and the only one that kind of worked was capturing with Premiere through Dazzle DV bridge and outputting the same way. The drawbacks are that in Premiere it's hard to stretch an individual frame over 2 or 3 frames(something that they need to do) and Dazzle has to be switched manually sometimes from in to out.

Capturing with StopMotion Pro also worked, but it crashed too often and it couldn't output to NTSC.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

bentllama
08-28-2002, 02:39 AM
You will get some good answers at the message board here:

www.animationnation.com

It is a place where many 2D animators hang out...

I will also post my method later on when I have more time to type.

dvornik
08-28-2002, 04:49 PM
Thanks. I've registered to that board, but it doesn't let me post for some reason. I log in and it notifies me I don't have permission to post.

[edit] OK, the login issue is resolved.

dvornik
09-06-2002, 01:34 AM
bentllama, I would appreciate if you posted your method. I was given this project and I am still unable to come up with a solution. It has to cost "several" hundred dollars and be justified. We own USAnimation version... umm... 4.5.20 for NT (I can install NT for it, obviously, PAR used it anyway).

dvornik
09-25-2002, 10:18 PM
OK, here's the best thing I could come up with the help from AnimationNation:

Capture and edit with Flipbook from Digicel ($300 version);
Output using Premiere (we have it);
Use Dazzle Hollywood DV bridge for both capture and output (we have a couple here).

Anyone knows of a better way?

ilasolomon
09-26-2002, 06:12 AM
most of the 2d animation systems like animo, toonz & CTV have
a good pencilwork capture tool for both test & cleanup purposes.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.