PDA

View Full Version : Eddie, the clansman WIP

Miguelito
11-29-2004, 10:00 PM
Hi there,
so this is Eddie, the clansman. He's still WIP. The body is quite finished but I'm not sure about the tattoo on left the arm and the wound on the right... The inside of the mouth and the ear still have to be textured. The colour of the hair isn't final either.
Well he will get a claymore of course and a scottish flag. Those of you who know Iron Maiden know what I want :). Maybe I'm going for a normal map there - not sure.
Ah forgot one thing: 4091 tris with hair (btw did a little havoc test with it - funny thing...)

Gimme your crits now!!!

Miguelito

lordmachuca
11-29-2004, 10:30 PM
looks good so far. I think the skin could use some highlights though.

the_podman
11-30-2004, 01:02 AM
Cool. Looking good so far. Yeah, Derrick Rigg's art lends itself quite well to a "normal mapping" project.. Aces High,...my all time favorite Maiden song. :buttrock:

-pod
:)

supernekosan
11-30-2004, 01:31 AM
hey prety cool but can I see a self ilumination version texture....ore can you work abeter lightning.....because right now I cant see evryting!! and a wire can be cool to!!

the_podman
11-30-2004, 02:15 AM
Which app are you using?

Miguelito
11-30-2004, 07:43 AM
the_podman: Thx. Did my best to get the "Maiden" style. But I'd prefer "Hallowed be thy name - Live" :D

supernekosan + lordmachuca: Yeah. I'll work on the lighting but at the moment I'm at school and when I did the renders it was late and I just wanted to get those pics somehow done...and you will get the wires then too.
Btw: I'm using MAX 6 and Photoshop.

Waugh
11-30-2004, 08:36 AM
Hehe, groovy !

I'd chop one of his fingers out. Add style, and that's a few polygons off ;)

Waugh.

obelisk
11-30-2004, 08:40 AM
Looking great Miguelito,

Normal maps for this guy would be perfect. As far as the limb decoration goes, the wound looks fine, but the tatto looks out of context for me. I'd go for something a little more celtic. This kind of tatt seems to me to be a fairly recent tough guy thai meets south american meets celtic sort of affair. Try looking at some celtic knotted designs in the original maybe.

Anyway, looking great.

Cheers

-O

MR BINK
11-30-2004, 12:25 PM
if you are going to give him a tattoo you should give hime some symbol or something related to ironmaiden and have it branded onto his rotting flesh. I am glad that is not the final hair he looks like pink or something, eddie has white hair. SHOW EDDIE SOME LOVE, good start :) keep going :)

Spater
11-30-2004, 03:15 PM
when I read the title Eddie the clansman, I wasnt thinking scottish. :D

wicked job and an awesome Maiden peice:buttrock:

NeptuneImaging
11-30-2004, 04:29 PM
I love this guy already. If you are going to normal map, you can also use specular and gloss maps...

Miguelito
11-30-2004, 11:53 PM
Soooooo here I am again :D. First of all THX for the positive responses. Didn'T expect it at all.
Well. You wanted wires. Here they are. Hope u like them. I also tweaked the lighting and "organized" some webspace :) .
So I changed the color of the hair to a more scottish/irish one. I'd like to stay with the red. And MR BINK, it is allowed to give it that color. Search around the internet and u will find Eddie as a Clansman with red hair ;)
The texture for the inner mouth is done too now. You can see a bit of it on the third image. But it isn't that important anyway...
I also decided to use a normal map only on the sword - if I use one... I tried to model the hires model after the lowpoly one several times on other objects and it sucked like hell... So normal maps...aaahm on my next character I think :D. Oh btw I'm already using a spec map but only on the wound and the mouth. Where should I else use it?
Well and there is the tattoo.... I am still not sure about it. I am lacking of inspiration here and I am absolutely not satisfied with it. Maybe I'll kick it....Some more texture space again...
So plz watch the new images and tell me what you think :thumbsup:

Miguelito

http://img77.exs.cx/img77/1899/Wires.jpg
http://img77.exs.cx/img77/2194/newperspective.jpg
http://img77.exs.cx/img77/8770/closeup3.jpg

PIMM
12-01-2004, 03:55 AM
Hey there mate. Models looking absolutely ace, though I think you could shave a bit off the fingers. Three loops all the way around per joint is overkill in all but the most detailed closups in games.

But anyway, The model looks pimp as hell, I love th eproportions and the edgeloops. The texture however i dont like as much. I think the hair could use some highlights again towards the bottom, not as bright, but it helps make the hair seem a bit more 3 dimensional and volumetric. it also helps if its a slightly different color than the main highlight. Also tI think you need more color overall in the rest of the texture, especially in the shoes and the socks. The skin tones themselves seem a bit muddy, and I can tell you used a greyscale method to paint them. See if you can make the terminator (the transition from light to shadow) more appropriate color for skin.

Other than that man, its looking really nice.

MR BINK
12-01-2004, 01:44 PM
I appologize about the hair:bounce: .....the tattoo looks much better.

the_podman
12-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Hey, looking pretty sweet! Just want to say that I use the "greyscale" method myself(being slightly colorblind, unfortunately) and one of the things that I do to add color depth to the color overlays is make a selection around the skin area, feather the selection a bit, then in a new layer I render clouds that consist of many different multiple colors(red, green, blue), and over lay THAT layer on top of the skin color overlay, and adjust the fill to be pretty low but high enough to add bits of color to the skin. Makes it seem more beleivable. The other thing you can do is use the "desaturate" sponge tool to desaturate some color that is in deep shadows.

Looks great so far, though. Keep posting!
-pod

Miguelito
12-04-2004, 12:22 AM
So only a little update today. I painted the ear and redid the blood. I like the ear, it's the first I ever painted! Well actually this is the first texture I ever painted...
But anyway I have another problem right know. Eddie is supposed to get little red glowing cubes as his eyes. What's the best way to do them?
I tried to get a nice glow but the effect depends on the distance of the camera so it changes every time :(.
Isn't there any kind of "real time glow" that doesn't change its size? Or could I get around with a texture or so?
THX for your help.

Miguelito

http://img50.exs.cx/img50/3628/58-newblood.jpg

KevinKraeer
12-04-2004, 12:31 AM
Wow, pretty sweet. He needs to get to hospital soon.

Texturing is nice, I love the way the hands have been modelled.

Only thing is I think the texture could use more contrast, it's most apparent with the ear detail you've shown.

NileshXYZ
12-04-2004, 12:32 AM
sure is a nice ear, wacka wacka

I think you did a good job overall, look forward to mroe.

Miguelito
01-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Well well,
after experimenting with havoc and freaking out and trying again and freaking out ...and so on I finally got an acceptable result with havoc (at least for posing :argh: ).
Soooo, hair, kilt and the flag use havoc. I'm not sure if I'll do a walk cycle or something.
Well I have been working quite long on him, now I am losing motivation and I want to start something new.
But I hope u like the poses :D

http://img133.exs.cx/img133/7572/finalpose13dp.jpg
http://img133.exs.cx/img133/2615/finalpose23zp.jpg

CrossFire
01-09-2005, 08:35 PM
really cool ^_^ only thing I can crit is needs more contrast between sword and blood.

Ceccotti
01-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Very awesome can't wait to see more work from you!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.