PDA

View Full Version : SINGLE mesh Character :Smooth or Rigid TUTORIAL?

DAZZAN
11-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Hi ,

Is there a Good Tutorial on binding Smooth or Rigid on a SINGLE MESH biped or quad.

That is NOT wrap skinning as my characters are past the threshhold.

My Rigs are setup so its just the binding.

All the tuts seem to be cheats, that is a mesh split into pieces with clothes covering the torso.

My dragon would not look to great with a pair of pants on you see!

As with the other meshes.

Thanx

claybub
11-30-2004, 03:51 PM
hello. I suggest you use smooth binding for organic objects. I'm afraid I don't know any helpful tutorials but I recommend you look into buying Chris maraffi's "Maya character creation: Modeling and animation controls" for tips on rigging.

Hope this was helpful. (probably wasn't but oh well..)

DAZZAN
11-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Im not surprised that a lot of people did not answer this one,as skinning alone on a single mesh must be the hardest thing to to....its funny i took 6 monthe of work to learn rigging with the alex alverez tapes....and it came to a complete stop when i did a highish rez models and he did wrap on low...rigged them and then tried to smooth skin them...it was a knightmare,so bad that i stepped away from it.

The funny thing is i dont want a job as a td for bloody Pixar or anyone else,but i would like to animate for fun MY models.I guess i will have to wait a bit longer or look for a different piece of software.

If anyone knows of a single mesh rigged biped or quad that has been done recently by smooth bind or rigid and would like to post it ,for i will gaze upon it in amazement and hopefully try to see where i can go right.

thankyous & kudos

john_homer
11-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Im not surprised that a lot of people did not answer this one,as skinning alone on a single mesh must be the hardest thing to to...
thankyous & kudos i think there were no replys because, its sorta impossible to answer/teach...

I mean, show me a scene and I'll tell you " the knee looks to rubbery, make it crease more by holding the weights out more either side, and minimise the bend"...

show people a problem and they can suggest a fix, but the question "how do i bind" can really only get 1 answer, and it looks like a smartass one, but its true... put the joints in the right place, then edit the weights untill it looks good. and if you dont want a td job at pixar, then that is all you need.

if you feel you need more than that, then try asking for that specifically.

I have no idea why you think a single mesh character is a hard thing to skin, it makes no difference, in fact i think its easier. I just did one... a dragon ;)

and wrapping a hiRes to a bound low res mesh, should never be done IMHO, but maybe thats just me.

.j

DAZZAN
12-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Ok point taken.......frustration some times overcomes patience and a need to get things done....ill get a uploader sorted and post a model and see if anything can be done to help....if i get 1 done it might give me the spur i needed to finish all of them.

Ps , some people arn`t technical some are and seem to do the rubiks cube in under 2 mins,me it took a year ......and i cheated !

Thanks for the replys

meatpuppet
12-03-2004, 09:42 PM
is weight painting really that bad? i admit it's not my favorite part of rigging and does have it's frustrations but just sit down and spend the time it takes to do it. imo, the results are well worth the time.

the 'skinny' mel toolset (at highend3d.com) is a pretty cool little thing i've started using recently and it has made weight painting a lot easier for me. give it a shot...

ThomasMahler
12-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I personally think that Weight Painting is pretty cool, you'll quickly get the hang of it. Also, you can use influence objects driven per sdk to make skinning a little easier and higher the quality of muscle deformations. Skinning just takes a lot of time and can make you scream like nothing else, but it's not too bad in Maya.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.