View Full Version : The Magic Roundabout CG Movie Trailer

RobertoOrtiz
11-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Check it out
http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/trailers/trailer.asp?film_id=9924
-R

EdHarriss
11-29-2004, 08:39 PM
- It looks like a lot more fun that I had expected.
- It's nice to see something like this coming from a non holywood source.

alexyork
11-29-2004, 08:55 PM
that does look like fun. but i hope they manage to retain some of the more adult undertones that were in the original series (looks like there might be, which is good news).

siouxfire
11-29-2004, 10:01 PM
That does look promising! (Loved The Magic Roundabout!) The comment about "grass" seems to keep in line with the adult undertones of the original, but I kind of miss the narration.

lazynok
11-29-2004, 10:13 PM
i didn't really like the whole thing... i did enjoy the snail charge though =] that part was perfect =]

MartinGFoster
11-30-2004, 12:52 AM
very interesting. I grew up watching that show! Looks much more visually rich now :)

so who is doing the CG? Pathe Films, or somebody else?

Martin

wmendez
11-30-2004, 03:09 AM
French CG house Action Synthese

http://www.softimage.com/home/press/pressreleases/030103_xsi_action_synthese.htm

MartinGFoster
11-30-2004, 05:45 AM
French CG house Action Synthese

http://www.softimage.com/home/press/pressreleases/030103_xsi_action_synthese.htm
Oh, yeah. I remember now. This company was in the press for switching from 3ds max to Softimage XSI in the middle of production. I can definitely understand why.

It seems like Bolex Brothers in Bristol, England are also a primary animation company on the project, according to the Magic Roundabout website.

geoffr
11-30-2004, 01:14 PM
Oh my Lord!
I can't wait to see this!

samartin
11-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Actually looks like fun, very well done aswell so it's a potential view for me I reckon...

mattmos
11-30-2004, 05:45 PM
It seems like Bolex Brothers in Bristol, England are also a primary animation company on the project, according to the Magic Roundabout website.
I read that as well, was a bit of a surprise. I take it they are in a supervisory role as opposed to keyframing stuff themselves, due to the size of the company. Anyone?

wmendez
11-30-2004, 05:49 PM
CGtalk members Atyss and ggg worked on this film, not sure how much they can comment on it but I will inform them of this thread

alexyork
11-30-2004, 06:06 PM
it looks like they're more a commercials company than film, although their site looks pretty old (Can't find any info on this movie on their site) so maybe they have changed focus recently.

http://www.bolexbrothers.co.uk/

whatever they're contributing it looks cracking :)

Atyss
11-30-2004, 06:40 PM
In answer to various comments.....

that does look like fun. but i hope they manage to retain some of the more adult undertones that were in the original series (looks like there might be, which is good news).
Not sure what you mean. I haven't seen the original series. That said, story-wise if this is what you mean, the movie is oriented toward a younger audience, have no doubt about that. Still, we (the crew) enjoyed watching it quite a bit. In fact most of us were positively surprised during screening, considering that when you work on a project for so long you get ultra hyper super critical.

Oh, yeah. I remember now. This company was in the press for switching from 3ds max to Softimage XSI in the middle of production. I can definitely understand why.[quote]

That was not exactly in the middle of the production. That was during preproduction, animation production had not started yet.

[quote]It seems like Bolex Brothers in Bristol, England are also a primary animation company on the project, according to the Magic Roundabout website.
I don't know this company. All I can say is that the storyboards and audio were made in England, and 3D in France (at Action Synthèse). That was the deal with Pathé (the single investor).

Thanks everyone for the great comments. Can't wait for the movie to come out, that was quite a ride, even if for me that was pretty short. I worked on that for 8 months but the whole project lasted something like 4 years.

Cheers
Bernard

Ryan-B
12-01-2004, 12:53 AM
That is some pretty weird character design. A tin soldier, a walking toupee, a snail, and a guy with a spring for legs? Seems kind of random.

Atyss
12-01-2004, 01:01 AM
That is some pretty weird character design. A tin soldier, a walking toupee, a snail, and a guy with a spring for legs? Seems kind of random. The snail and the guy with a spring leg are from the original series. Remember that at that time it was not uncommon that director take drugs.... :rolleyes: The soldier is a new character, you'll see how it fits in the movie. I'm not sure what you are referring to with "walkin toupee".

Cheers
Bernard

FloydBishop
12-01-2004, 03:04 AM
I'm not familiar at all with the subject matter, so I don't know how faithful it is to the original, but this looks very good. Nice work everyone.

wmendez
12-01-2004, 05:10 AM
I'm not sure what you are referring to with "walkin toupee".

Cheers
Bernard
He is talking about Pollex :)

Bourbon Thret
12-01-2004, 06:39 AM
i loved this show as a kid. have been looking forward to this cg verasion for a while. hopefully they will start showing the old series again where i am.

i used to love that theme music.

looks like a lot of fun.

walking toupee = dougal. was he called pollox in the french version? it was french originally right?

revert
12-01-2004, 06:51 AM
It was french originally? All i remember it was around when i was a kid a long time ago .Though i used to watch it i dont remember liking it. Anyhow, this looks pretty amazing, far more interesting than the original.

Atyss
12-01-2004, 08:00 AM
Yes, the series originates from France.

Indeed, Dougal is named Pollux in French :-)

Cheers
Bernard

alexyork
12-02-2004, 01:21 AM
Yes, the series originates from France.

Indeed, Dougal is named Pollux in French :-)

Cheers
Bernard
hey i didn't know that. i always thought it was british. learn summut new every day :)

retinajoy
12-02-2004, 07:47 AM
...but the Magic Roundabout as we know it is very British. The BBC totally dumped the French script and rewrote the characters (bringing in the British wit) and reinterpreted the visual scenes from scratch. Even the original set designs were by Brit guy Ivor Wood.

Find out more here of the history:

http://www.toonhound.com/maground.htm

tazy7
12-02-2004, 01:04 PM
being well to young to remember watching the original, i was kinda cynical when i heard that the series was being made into a film but OMG the cg version looks awesome, the art direction looks good, the voice overs seem good plus it seems like the plot is watchable.

u got to laugh at what the bbc did to the french version remeber watching a documentary about it, the head of programming at the time said that the show was shown to him he said he liked the characters but wasnt sure about the french voices and scripts so asked a group of bbc script writters to write stuff to match what was on screen that would appeal to the british public, it would seem that it was a good idea. :buttrock:

Jackmars
12-03-2004, 12:32 AM
Really looks good,I like this quite a bit.:thumbsup:

Maverick3d
12-03-2004, 03:16 AM
I remember watching a lot of old BBC stuff growing up but this is new to me. I'm intrigued.

Will the movie get a North American release?

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.