PDA

View Full Version : Speilberg to do olympic Munich movie

ages
11-29-2004, 05:54 AM
http://www.toytownmunich.com/lofi/index.php/t3304.html
http://www.toytownmunich.com/archive/001337.html
Updated that e doesnt want to shoot it on Munich and will do it all in CG to fake it.
But to do Forest Gump like rotoscoping.
Eric bana is to play one of the agents.

Per-Anders
11-29-2004, 06:32 AM
Interesting. It's good to see prominent Hollywood directors like Speilberg, who you would expect to play it very very safe; instead ready to take on tougher and possibly unpopulistic (with the current press trend) issues. Though I noticed that part way down the first page of the first link it did state that he was putting the production on hold due to certain fears in the current climate.

I wonder exactly how much CG will be required if his plan is to shoot it away from Munich though (beyond clever compositing)... and of course saying that it will get done.

Cronholio
11-29-2004, 06:39 AM
"unpopulistic"

I'm sorry I've never seen that word and it doesn't appear to be in either the Oxford or Heritage online dictionaries. I searched google and it only returned like 5 results. What does it mean?

ages
11-29-2004, 06:44 AM
I saw the documenary last year, forgot its name but had the word summer in its title.
I think hough this movie will upset Pallistine, what other purpose could a movie like this serve?
Should Speilberg go back to remaking War of the worlds?

Per-Anders
11-29-2004, 08:05 AM
"unpopulistic"

I'm sorry I've never seen that word and it doesn't appear to be in either the Oxford or Heritage online dictionaries. I searched google and it only returned like 5 results. What does it mean? Populism is basically the politics of the press, or of manipulation and kowtowing, leading and being lead by the press (and/or lobbying bodies, such as unions etc).

Largely it has come to mean and have connotations of anti corporate politics and marxist/fascistic political leanings (in the UK too, though there possibly as a gross exageration and characature of it's origins).

Within the UK many consider Harold Wilson to be the first real populist PM, within the states and elsewhere I cannot say who would be considered the first, I would suspect that as a word it's origins of at least it's modern usage would be on the stateside :shrug:

It's literal would be the popular politics, or within certain rhetoric "politics of the people" (though some have unkindly but not without some merit labled it political opportunism). Therefore an unpopulistic stance would be one opposed to the general trend as seen within what the press (at least left leaning) views as it's readership.

Hope that helped clear things up. I'm surprised you were unable to find the word within the sources you checked.

malducin
11-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Updated that e doesnt want to shoot it on Munich and will do it all in CG to fake it.
Probably not. What seems more feasable is that it will be mostly shot on sets, with VFX to enhance it plus location shooting, very similar to what was done for The Terminal. After all a lot of the action would take place inside a plane, airport and the Olympic Villa.

I think hough this movie will upset Pallistine, what other purpose could a movie like this serve?
What about telling a true story? Did Germany get upset about Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan?

Should Speilberg go back to remaking War of the worlds?
He is already shooting it. They started shooting November 7 and will be released June 29, 2005.

who you would expect to play it very very safe
I kinda feel the opposite way. He is so powerful he can do any movie he pleases without much interference. He can do mainstream light fare stuff if he wants but he can also tackle more serious stuff if he pleases.

and of course saying that it will get done.
Well Spielberg likes to develop several projects simultaneously and after War of the World he is slated for one more (and probably last) try at Indy 4. We might not get to see this movie for a long time, he might only produce or something else could happen.

rendermania
11-29-2004, 12:56 PM
I kinda feel the opposite way. He is so powerful he can do any movie he pleases without much interference. He can do mainstream light fare stuff if he wants but he can also tackle more serious stuff if he pleases.
I think Spielberg is a mature (and competent) enough director to understand that adult audiences don't necessarily want to see the more brutish or unpleasant aspects of everyday reality, politics or history watered down in a politically correct or 'lets just make safe entertainment' way. The world is a very large place full of complexity, contradictions, things good, bad, gray, multifaceted, fascinating or plain disturbing. People like to watch films that make them think and can dig into that complexity without going the script by numbers route. I'd think that Spielberg is an experienced enough filmmaker to explore difficult subject matters with the necessary caution/balance that a lot of people expect from films about real events and subjects.

BrandonD
11-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Hmm, that's a story that's been told rather well already in "21 Hours in Munich" and the follow on "Sword of Gideon." I'm sure Spielberg can do a good job of blending entertainment with history. It was a really pivotal event from a military special operations stand point as for many countries it was the catalyst in the creation of their counter-terrorism teams.

Artbot
11-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Hmm, that's a story that's been told rather well already in "21 Hours in Munich" and the follow on "Sword of Gideon." I'm sure Spielberg can do a good job of blending entertainment with history. It was a really pivotal event from a military special operations stand point as for many countries it was the catalyst in the creation of their counter-terrorism teams.
...As long as he leaves out the sappy bookends. The prologue/epilogue of Schindler's and SPR are totally unnecessary and lame and seemed designed to cater to people who aren't actually paying attention to the story. But it could be kinda interesting to see what he can do with the story.

As an aside, it's always good, and a little surreal, to see Brandon posting here (or anywhere). After hearing about all the stuff going down in and around Mosul lately, I begin to wonder if you're okay, then you show up here in a Spielberg thread. Strange world, eh?

BrandonD
11-29-2004, 06:55 PM
As an aside, it's always good, and a little surreal, to see Brandon posting here (or anywhere). After hearing about all the stuff going down in and around Mosul lately, I begin to wonder if you're okay, then you show up here in a Spielberg thread. Strange world, eh?
Compared to what I'm dealing with daily here, CG is a nice relaxing luxury. As much as I've been away from the industry for some time now (and will continue late into next year) I'm too passionate about it to be a complete hermit and not keep up with what's going on. I'm on a satellite feed from time to time and while most of us just check email and news, I have to check the CG related boards. I'm a junkie.

Incidentally I brought a pretty beefy M60 (2GB) laptop with me along with MAX (which Discreet was nice enough to donate) and Houdini Apprentice so I don't completely lose my skills. But production is far from my mind and it's been nice to actually put more time into professional development (ie math, physics, coding). I've got a cardboard book shelf full of interesting stuff ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.