PDA

View Full Version : c4d to xsi and back to c4d ??

bolek
11-29-2004, 04:25 AM
is it possible to model and texture in c4d then export to xsi - rig then back to c4d and now use the bones you rigged with in xsi to animate ? or do you rig and animate in xsi then export back to cinema to render ? or in any case going from maya, Lightwave, c4d etc to XSI and back, can you keep the rig or do you have to rig and animate in XSI then export back to texture and render ?

pnoland
11-29-2004, 04:38 AM
I'm not an XSI user (yet!) but couldn't you do the model/bone transfers using the FBX file format? I know Cinema 4D supports it, not sure if XSI does...

MJV
11-29-2004, 04:38 AM
is it possible to model and texture in c4d then export to xsi - rig then back to c4d and now use the bones you rigged with in xsi to animate ? or do you rig and animate in xsi then export back to cinema to render ? or in any case going from maya, Lightwave, c4d etc to XSI and back, can you keep the rig or do you have to rig and animate in XSI then export back to texture and render ?
I wish. Being a Cinema user myself I understand perfectly the desire to work and render in Cinema but rig and animate in XSI. You can use fbx to go back and forth but that route is limited in the scope of kinds of info that can be translated and fraught with the peril of ever changing formats. If you want to render in Cinema then I recommend you animate in Cinema itself, in Motion Builder, or in messiah:Animate.

T4D
11-29-2004, 05:50 AM
once in XSI why go back ??

mental ray in SO powerfull !! yeah you have to learn it ........
but once you have a handle on it
I can't imagen why you would uses anything else it TOTALLY ROCKS :buttrock:

ink and paint and crosshatch is amazing and being able to write shaders in note pad is amazing
using direct X as a render engine is Super Super FAST and being able to get Mental ray shader from the Maya & Max sites is even better :twisted: and you can uses all these options in the same render pass and get layers from it

just Learn your tools man, it's the best way to go :beer:

MJV
11-29-2004, 06:46 AM
He probably already knows Cinema. Not to mention that Cinema has an excellent renderer, excellent multipass support, the industry's top NPR, an incredible interface that's fully customizable and fast to work in, an excellent poly modeler (could be superior to XSI's), thumbnail material previews, seamless integration with Bodypaint, Expresso, Clothhilde, etc., etc., etc.

once in XSI why go back ??

mental ray in SO powerfull !! yeah you have to learn it ........
but once you have a handle on it
I can't imagen why you would uses anything else it TOTALLY ROCKS :buttrock:

ink and paint and crosshatch is amazing and being able to write shaders in note pad is amazing
using direct X as a render engine is Super Super FAST and being able to get Mental ray shader from the Maya & Max sites is even better :twisted: and you can uses all these options in the same render pass and get layers from it

just Learn your tools man, it's the best way to go :beer:

T4D
11-29-2004, 08:21 AM
He probably already knows Cinema. Not to mention that Cinema has an excellent renderer, excellent multipass support, the industry's top NPR, an incredible interface that's fully customizable and fast to work in, an excellent poly modeler (could be superior to XSI's), thumbnail material previews, seamless integration with Bodypaint, Expresso, Clothhilde, etc., etc., etc.
with all that why uses XSI at all if C4D's better ? :curious:

I come from Lightwave and XSi is ahuge learning curve at first
but after a good week or so you'll be rock'en:buttrock:

understand modeling in C4D ( you know it well ) I still model in LW sometimes
But uses your tools you got, IMO going back and foward will cause more problems then it will solve.

MJV
11-29-2004, 08:44 AM
with all that why uses XSI at all if C4D's better ? :curious:
Simple. Cinema's rigging, CA tools and timeline are primitive by comparison

I come from Lightwave and XSi is ahuge learning curve at first
but after a good week or so you'll be rock'en:buttrock:

understand modeling in C4D ( you know it well ) I still model in LW sometimes
But uses your tools you got, IMO going back and foward will cause more problems then it will solve. I agree. It would be nice if there was some simple, easy way to go back and forth taking the best of both, but currently that kind of interchangability just doesn't exist. So what I was trying to say to Bolek is that he's better off working entirely in the Cinema universe or entirely in XSI because getting animation data back and forth just isn't going to be easy and will ultimately be more trouble than it's worth, imo.

But then you said you can't imagine why someone would want to use something other than XSI. That sentiment makes a lot of sense coming from Lightwave but not so much coming from Cinema.

T4D
11-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Simple. Cinema's rigging, CA tools and timeline are primitive by comparisonLightwave 8 rigging and CA tools & timeline aren't primitive :p But with what you say next

But then you said you can't imagine why someone would want to use something other than XSI. That sentiment makes a lot of sense coming from Lightwave but not so much coming from Cinema.you must really know your Lightwave ???
I know LW very well, But You must be a master of C4D, LW and XSI:bowdown:

My point was with XSI there's really no need to go back to another 3D app if you know your XSI. and if you know one 3D app it doesn't take much to get up to speed in XSI.

bolek
11-29-2004, 11:27 AM
thx for the answers.. surfacing/texturing in XSI is very hard to understand

T4D
11-29-2004, 11:54 AM
thx for the answers.. surfacing/texturing in XSI is very hard to understand
agree i started by modeling in LW setting basic surfaces then exporting to XSI
But once you understand XSi you will like it

Not know C4D but think it would be like LW
Easy to setup and get going Where XSi Nodes & render tree is very heavy to understand & learn but you'll see the nodes and render tree is very powerful still not as quick as what you might know but you'll get more out of it in the end :thumbsup:

point oven is working on a XSi exporter for LW format I was excited about this a month ago But I don't think I'll need it soon XSI just Rocks so much :buttrock:

michaeli
11-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Lightwave 8 rigging and CA tools & timeline aren't primitive :p

Really?! LOL.

T4D
11-29-2004, 02:57 PM
man you C4D guy hate Lightwave :eek:
I have not said a negative thing about C4D in any way
but you keep throwing crap at Lightwave ??:rolleyes:

I'm a pro Character rigger and animator using Lightwave for 6 years I've been paid to rig custom Characters for studios around the world for many Big Projects and many major Studios uses My Lightwave Rigging plugins they choose LW to do Character animation so it has something going for it .

I'm learning XSI because i want to expand my 3D mind
XSI seems to have it all and it has more logic then Maya for me anyway.

get back over to the C4D forum Mr Cinema 4D | 3D for the real world ( your in a XSI forum ) and stop trying to score points about something you know nothing about, How well do you guys know Lightwave ???
it doesn't sound like you know it at all except for Newbie speak from peeple who don't know how to uses it or people who havn't used it for along time pre LW 8 .

now let's get back to talking about XSI :buttrock:

ThirdEye
11-30-2004, 01:07 AM
Please keep on topic, some of the replies don't look that useful.

ThE_JacO
11-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Please keep on topic, some of the replies don't look that useful.
oh I see... now you are a Softimage mod too aren't you?
how do you dare to invade this holy ground with your C4D rethoric you f**king italian?!

go back and learn to use your nGons!

and btw you're fired!

note to the users:
if for a single second you thought this post to be serious you should seriously consider prozac, ketamine or even stronger alternatives.

ThirdEye
11-30-2004, 06:15 PM
oh I see... now you are a Softimage mod too aren't you?
how do you dare to invade this holy ground with your C4D rethoric you f**king italian?!

go back and learn to use your nGons!

and btw you're fired!
you know, aaaaaaaaai like it in here! :D

imashination
12-01-2004, 01:42 AM
*sprays graffiti the walls*

ThE_JacO
12-01-2004, 11:51 AM
*sprays graffiti the walls* careful dude, I know where you live.

RayenD
12-01-2004, 01:33 PM
http://www.mindthink.de/

Look for OHM tools. I don't think it supports bones though.
Usually it's easier to cahce your meshes and import/export vertex cache instead of tyring to import rigged character.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.