PDA

View Full Version : Crusade, Richard Marchand (3D)

Richard-Marchand
11-28-2004, 10:00 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/121280/121280_1101682840_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/121280/121280_1101682840.jpg)

Title: Crusade
Name: Richard Marchand
Software: (Other), 3ds max, Photoshop, Poser

I made this while listening to Einsturzende Neubauten, their Strategies Against Architecture CDs. Really powerful stuff, often intense yet dreamy mood, can be driven and abrassive too. Lovely voice, wish I spoke German.

For this image I also used Kaldera, the normal map plugin for MAX. In photoshop I composited some grainy canvas texture and added the background which is a squashed tomato.

Lets bring more squashed veggies to the forum! 8)

ajay1589
11-29-2004, 12:04 AM
:applause: Fantastic

PS:shouldnt this be under nudity? although the nudity part is sure hard to find

siouxfire
11-29-2004, 12:06 AM
You have a great feel to your work, Richard. I'd love to see more of your stuff. Very nice.

Maple0425
11-29-2004, 12:40 AM
my god,you're great!really!I like this,so much!!!

Maple0425
11-29-2004, 12:46 AM
Richard,I had view your gallery...now,I am became your fan.

vikasumit
11-29-2004, 04:42 AM
Hi..
i really like your work specially your texture...

can u tell me how can u make these wires by texture or u model it
and one more thing can u tell me how u create this rusted texture..

thank u
Vikas

Richard-Marchand
11-29-2004, 05:56 AM
Hi..
i really like your work specially your texture...

can u tell me how can u make these wires by texture or u model it
and one more thing can u tell me how u create this rusted texture..

thank u
Vikas
Thanks, glad you like! In this image the wires are done with a texture and normal mapped to give them some slight roundness, using a bump map could probably get a similar result. The overall rusty look is just a result of the canvas texture and a few noisey layers in photoshop with a lots of color balance tweaking.

Richard-Marchand
11-29-2004, 05:57 AM
Richard,I had view your gallery...now,I am became your fan.
Right on! Glad to hear you dig the gallery! http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Richard-Marchand
11-29-2004, 05:57 AM
You have a great feel to your work, Richard. I'd love to see more of your stuff. Very nice.
Thanks! I've got a bunch more on my site...

Richard-Marchand
11-29-2004, 05:59 AM
:applause: Fantastic

PS:shouldnt this be under nudity? although the nudity part is sure hard to find
Heheh, well I guess they are nude... but nude like a toaster is also nude. http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Tidus_44
11-29-2004, 07:25 AM
... twisted...... i like, very very well done keep up the good work

Guanny
11-29-2004, 08:00 AM
Good work, I like much the composition and the tonality.

take2
11-29-2004, 08:02 AM
your stile is so unique, your pics so powerfull and expressiv... i loved them all, but its the first time i comment one. simply great!

p.s. if you send me some songtexts of einstuerzende neubauten, i will try to translate them :)

yangmiemie
11-29-2004, 08:08 AM
my god!:eek:
great work!

mimo8
11-29-2004, 09:07 AM
... , wish I spoke German.

allways be carefull with your wishes :D

great image ... already admired the "dead can dance" version
another outstanding composition

grüße von einem deutschsprachigen fan

Maple0425
11-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Right on! Glad to hear you dig the gallery! http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.giflol.but really,your work touched me.really touched my mind.yesterday I try to twist two models from poser,and today I seen your work...my god...you're so great.I agree on you,because so much of your mind were in my head either.and u did it,I haven't.

I did this work one week ago,and also use twist in women's body.hehe,but really not so good...from your work.

http://bbs.chinavfx.net/attachments/200411/26192705-finish_m_m.jpg

I call it<Rebrith>

giraffe3d
11-29-2004, 12:29 PM
it is very nice work :)

Skyraider3D
11-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Familiar style... ah! It's you again! :)
This one is great too! I like the composition of the other one better though, but these models are very cool! :thumbsup:

Hettinger
11-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Awesome - very organic. I bet it was difficult to model. You should give them names or come up with a name for that 'race.'

psycho1
11-29-2004, 04:49 PM
great pic man i love the texture on them. keep up the great work

ROCK ON:twisted: :buttrock:

midazolam
11-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Just another "really great" post from a fellow Canuck. Love the final result!

Richard-Marchand
11-29-2004, 05:28 PM
your stile is so unique, your pics so powerfull and expressiv... i loved them all, but its the first time i comment one. simply great!

p.s. if you send me some songtexts of einstuerzende neubauten, i will try to translate them :)

Thank you, I'm glad you like! I will be sure to send you a few texts I am curious about too, I appreciate it!

Richard-Marchand
11-29-2004, 05:48 PM
lol.but really,your work touched me.really touched my mind.yesterday I try to twist two models from poser,and today I seen your work...my god...you're so great.I agree on you,because so much of your mind were in my head either.and u did it,I haven't.

I did this work one week ago,and also use twist in women's body.hehe,but really not so good...from your work.

I call it<Rebrith>

Wild image! I love the colors and the subterranean feel!

midazolam
11-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Just visited your site - Relic's lucky to have you :thumbsup:

Einsturzende Neubauten rocks big time!

I don't suppose you'd happen to know if there's a similar plug [Kaldera] for Maya? I'll ask around in the Maya forum, too...

Richard-Marchand
11-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Familiar style... ah! It's you again! :)
This one is great too! I like the composition of the other one better though, but these models are very cool! :thumbsup:
Thanks Skyraider! For this one I wanted to keep the composition somewhat simple and unflattering on purpose. Like a photograph that is snapped for the sake of documenting a simple moment. Like in a prison camp... line up the subjects by a wall, click. I didn't want it to look glamorous. Sort of like how you would take a picture of your fender-bendered car for the insurance company. I imagine the voice of Holly Hunter from Raising Arizona saying, "Turn to the right."

Richard-Marchand
11-29-2004, 06:06 PM
Just visited your site - Relic's lucky to have you :thumbsup:

Einsturzende Neubauten rocks big time!

I don't suppose you'd happen to know if there's a similar plug [Kaldera] for Maya? I'll ask around in the Maya forum, too...
Thanks, I'm really lucky to be at Relic!

I just recently got into Neubauten, although they have always been around the periphery. Before that I was into the more electronic side of industrial, but having listened to that stuff I can now really appreciate the beauty of Neubauten and their instrumentation. I heard a real audio interview with them on http://www.wfmu.org/ and they did a little live set. They are doing some new material, hope they come to Vancouver for a show as I am so in love with their work.

Oh yah, CG... hmmm, I have no idea if Kaldera is out for Maya but I am certain they will be supporting normal maps soon if they are not already, in fact they must be. So many games use normal mapping now so there must be something for it.

midazolam
11-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Dude, they were just IN Vancouver like within the last year! My friend was at the show and said it was AMAZING!

Richard-Marchand
11-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Dude, they were just IN Vancouver like within the last year! My friend was at the show and said it was AMAZING!There are not enough expletives in the world to describe how I feel right now. http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

jddog
11-30-2004, 03:55 PM
wow impressive work, congrats !
jdd

lotaH
12-09-2004, 08:56 PM
very good! Congratulations! you can in explaining the textures better to them? :thumbsup:

senigma
12-11-2004, 07:41 PM
süperrr man thx!!

scottamis_prime
12-13-2004, 08:08 AM
That is realy cool, how long did it take you to do? I would like to see them in action.

Richard-Marchand
12-13-2004, 08:13 PM
That is realy cool, how long did it take you to do? I would like to see them in action.
Thanks! It took about ten hours to do, a Friday night and a Saturday afternoon. Yes, I would love to do an animated project!http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Jackbull
12-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Holy shmoke, that is one sweet pic man. that is awsome.

Terkonn
12-15-2004, 11:31 PM
The colrors seem too bland for my tastes, but nice job on the characters.

shiela_G
12-17-2004, 03:12 PM
haaa? those were amazing work. did you use some kind of scripting on those intertwined thingy inside them? otherwise awsome job!

Luke Mrozek
12-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Wow...some sick details here...great job.

Jeremy_Gooch
12-18-2004, 04:00 PM
This is a very powerful image. The lighting is mysterious, and the materials are intimidatingly good. I also like your choice of color, it feels subdued in contrast to the level of detail in the image. Good job.

Richard-Marchand
12-18-2004, 11:09 PM
This is a very powerful image. The lighting is mysterious, and the materials are intimidatingly good. I also like your choice of color, it feels subdued in contrast to the level of detail in the image. Good job.
Thanks Jeremy! Yes, I found the lower saturation helped draw attention to the details and it also makes them feel weary and fatigued, somewhat drained of life. Glad you like the materials, it is always my favorite part!

Richard-Marchand
12-18-2004, 11:12 PM
haaa? those were amazing work. did you use some kind of scripting on those intertwined thingy inside them? otherwise awsome job!
Thanks Shiela! The intertwined things are largely made with alpha holes on the textures, although there are a few splines too, but mostly alpha holes. Textures are the best way to get lots of percieved detail and using Kaldera for normal maps really helps in that they can then 'light properly' and feel like geometry!http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

sonicstrawbery
12-19-2004, 12:45 PM
Cool characters, makes me think to Meats Meier's style ! Have you been inspired ?

Again really beautiful ! :cool:

Richard-Marchand
12-20-2004, 01:53 AM
Cool characters, makes me think to Meats Meier's style ! Have you been inspired ?

Again really beautiful ! :cool:
Thanks Cipher, glad you like it! Meats Meier does some really cool stuff, I think he and I are on a similar wavelength.
http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Arctis
12-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Stunnig characters ! However, I find the BG a bit empty...
Cheers !

Richard-Marchand
12-20-2004, 08:03 PM
Stunnig characters ! However, I find the BG a bit empty...
Cheers !
Thanks! Yes, "the BG is a bit empty" http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

JASdj
12-25-2004, 03:46 AM
Im really impresionate whith all the works that i had view in your web site, really good works and really really good creative. this is not your best work of all . :eek:

PeterSanitra
01-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Oh!, i`ve seen somethik like this before...., oh! i know! it was Si....

tommy CG
01-04-2005, 11:10 PM
how did you did thet render? hhhowwww?
man you are great!!!

Raytrace_Man
01-11-2005, 02:03 AM
Multiple Swamp things....Ahhh...Run.

--RAy

Richard-Marchand
01-11-2005, 02:56 AM
Multiple Swamp things....Ahhh...Run.

--RAy
heheh, you know it blue eyes

Richard-Marchand
01-11-2005, 02:57 AM
Oh!, i`ve seen somethik like this before...., oh! i know! it was Si....
Si? You mean, spanish?http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Richard-Marchand
01-11-2005, 02:58 AM
how did you did thet render? hhhowwww?
man you are great!!!
Thanks Tommy, it is all in the alpha!

Raytrace_Man
01-11-2005, 11:17 PM
That link is coming off this board. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm a actor/CG artist, and I deserve the flack I've gotten.

Plus, don't take offence to my posts...I can rub people the wrong way sometimes. I do really like the work, or I would not have posted. They just reminded my of how the swamp thing (in the movie) was all viney. Great models and concept.

--Ray

Richard-Marchand
01-12-2005, 01:35 AM
That link is coming off this board. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm a actor/CG artist, and I deserve the flack I've gotten.

Plus, don't take offence to my posts...I can rub people the wrong way sometimes. I do really like the work, or I would not have posted. They just reminded my of how the swamp thing (in the movie) was all viney. Great models and concept.

--Ray
No worries, I actually did take it as a compliment! I love Swamp Thing, esspecially the Allan Moore run! http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

umnifarious184
01-14-2005, 05:30 AM
are all those splines, or what? how did you do that?

LAcrima
01-14-2005, 03:50 PM
There is a game called Omikron and there are a music group called dreamers or something like that... anyway your picture reminds them...

Great work...

mike_t_3d
01-19-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm new to this website and just going through the threads I'm just amazed at the quality of work that all you people manage to create.
This piece is excelent mate, it reminds me of some miners going home from the pits, dont ask me why though!
I'd like to see a crazy enviroment for them using the same texturing technique.

Richard-Marchand
01-19-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm new to this website and just going through the threads I'm just amazed at the quality of work that all you people manage to create.
This piece is excelent mate, it reminds me of some miners going home from the pits, dont ask me why though!
I'd like to see a crazy enviroment for them using the same texturing technique.

'miners going home from the pits', nails it on the head for me. Thanks, for the great comparison!

Richard-Marchand
01-19-2005, 08:13 PM
are all those splines, or what? how did you do that?

Nope, no splines, just alpha/normal maps. I could make myself hoarse raving about how much I love normal maps.

ernia
01-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Simply beautiful, Richard. The background stands out yet merges well with the figures.

ernia

Hĝjen
01-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Hi Richard!!

I have seen your gallery, it's unique, dark and twisted...
I like it!! Very Nice!

:applause: :applause:

michael101171
01-24-2005, 12:38 PM
I like it, very impressive work

bdixon
01-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Very creative work. It's down right awe inspiring. It has a truely deep artistic feel to it. Keep it up!

JustinAlvarez
02-22-2005, 08:30 AM
wow. kinda freaky, but very different. i like it.

wx84530
04-20-2005, 02:00 AM
great feel
it's realy a great job

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2005, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.