PDA

View Full Version : Max crashing on meshsmooth x4

Pickman
11-28-2004, 07:24 PM
Hello there, I'm experimenting Vray and Max for displacement testing but everytime I set the meshsmooth to iteration 4 max crashes...Has anyone managed to go that far and render a 4.7 millions polys model with a 2048*2048 displacement map ???
THX a lot

max_5
11-30-2004, 03:19 AM
Hi

Using any illiterations of 3 or more can be very taxing on any computer. It is probably that you don't have enough ram for that in the viewports. You can make max do the illiterations at render by checking the box "render values" and then setting your 4 illiterations there (remembering to leave the standard illiterations set to 0). This will mean that you will have 0 illiterations in the viewport but when you render you will have 4.

Hopefully that doesn’t crash.

APLevitz
12-02-2004, 09:56 PM
It doesn't sound like you're taking advantage of Vray's displacement, specifically. I'm pretty sure high iterations of meshsmooth aren't involved in that workflow.

I'd ask at the vray user forums (http://www.chaoticdimension.com/forums/), see if anyone there has a better configuration for you to play with.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.