PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying ZBrush

kennez
11-28-2004, 01:16 PM
I am thinking of buying ZBrush 2 to create meshes for my digital artwork, and animations. I have downloaded and had a play around with the 1.55b demo, but I haven't had a serious modelling session with it.

Could you tell me how much faster and easier to use ZB2 is than 1.55b?

Also, where is the best place to find 1.55b tutorials, so that I can have a proper go with the demo before I purchase the new version?

ZBrush is an interesting concept, and from the ZScripts includeded in the demo, it looks like it is quite easy to create detailed meshes in a short amount of time. What is the learning curve like?

aminuts
11-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi,

I depends on you, on how big the learning curve. Some folks find it hard, which I think is more due to their being used to other programs, than zbrush being hard. It is definitely different in theway it works but if you let your preconceptions go of how you think it should work, you will learn it in no time. I myself found it rather intuitive after the first day or so.

Someone just posted some good links to tutorials over at ZBC in the tutorials forum. Most of those are for 1.55b from what I saw. Check out Southern's first....his are pretty good and will give you a good idea on how to use zb.

Zb2 is alot faster as you can now use zspheres to create a base mesh, box model and work all along subdivision layers to quickly go from blocking out to fine details and see how each effects all layers.

You can download the Practical Guide for Z2 and take a look at that.....it will give you avery good idea of what z2 can do.

I highly recommend buying z2....it's a must in my workflow and I believe it will or should be a part of any modeller's workflow. Not to mention that, pixolator just teased the hell out of us with a preview of things to come and they will be a free upgrade and from the looks of things, it's gonna make z2 even easier cuz then you are free to create at whim and will andwill have the ability to worry about function later. A sweet deal.

guardonduty
11-28-2004, 08:50 PM
I lurked around the board for several weeks debating buying Zbrush or Body Paint because I am a Lightwave user too. I needed a program that could paint my models. I bought Zbrush 11-21-04 and I produced this series yesterday, exclusively in Zbrush. THe program is heavenlyhttp://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=22258

jimzepellin
11-29-2004, 06:48 PM
If you decide to get ZBrush, they have a good training CD for ZBrush for beginners at http://www.digital-tutors.com/digital_tutors/index.php
It's great for beginners, it will get you up and running in no time. There's no 2.5 stuff in there, but that suited me fine as I was only interested in the 3D stuff. Theres a 25% off sale on untill the 30th Nov.
Theres a discussion going on here http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=186313

bobzilla
11-29-2004, 07:01 PM
I've also be debating buying ZBrush. I was wondering if I need a hefty system to use it. I'd like to use it in conjunction with Cinema 4D (model in C4D, sculpt in Z, export D-map).

I have a dual 800 G4, 1.5GB of RAM, NVDA GeForce2 card (old, I know).

I keep hearing "manipulate millions of polys in realtime!" and I wonder if I'll get "realtime".

Thanks for any info you guys can provide...

BazC
11-30-2004, 09:52 AM
Hiya Bobzilla, I'm using a 1.25 GHz G4 eMac with 768MB RAM and ZB2 works very well. I would guess your dual G4 will work a little better especially as you have twice the RAM (ZB LOVES RAM!) Saying people manipulate millions of polys in real time is a little misleading though. The people with the most powerful machines are creating models up to 6-7,000,000 polys I believe but they're NOT tossing them around in real time! The beauty of ZB2 is you can dropdown your subdivision level, move your model and then icrease SD level again and all your detail will be retained. This technique plus hiding parts of the mesh allow you to work with big meshes. Also the very finest detail is created using projection master which is really 2d painting that ZB then translates into 3d.

Having said that I can work with around 1,000,000 polys in real time (slow though) and could probably push that up to 2,000,000 or so using mesh hiding etc. I would guess you could do a little better than that! :o) - Baz

bobzilla
11-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks for all the info, BazC! When talking 3D I always here, It's the RAM! It's the processor! It's the graphics card! Very confusing, so I want to make sure I have an OK set up for Z. C4D seems ot work fine with this set up, so hopefully Z would, too.

kennez
11-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll get it after Christmas!

BazC
11-30-2004, 09:04 PM
"When talking 3D I always here, It's the RAM! It's the processor! It's the graphics card! Very confusing, so I want to make sure I have an OK set up for Z."

Well of course they all help but RAM is the biggy for ZBrush! I don't think OpenGL is used much which is good news for us Mac users! Your G4 will be fine while your saving up for that dual 3GHZ G5! (me too LOL!)

Cheers - Baz

WQP
12-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Well my ZB 1.5 demo just expired, i'm missing it already...man do I want ZB2, but alas, it remains tantalizingly just beyond my price range :O

jimzepellin
12-01-2004, 03:26 PM
Well my ZB 1.5 demo just expired, i'm missing it already...man do I want ZB2, but alas, it remains tantalizingly just beyond my price range :O
If you still want to keep on trying ZBrush 1.5 you can renew your password from the pixologic website. It in the resources section under Demo support.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.