PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitor Support ?

Paul Moran
11-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Hey All,

I am running a dual monitor setup that works fine with everything but XSI ...is this an known issue ?

Like...ideally I want to, say, move some popup windows over to the other monitor while im working ...is this possible ?

Cheers for your replies

paul

Ablefish
11-28-2004, 09:45 AM
I use Dual monitors at work and I don't have any problems. I have a nvidia card and have the desktop manager or dualmanager or whatever disabled.

Paul Moran
11-28-2004, 10:12 AM
hey again ...looks like u r doing the XSI forum rounds :)

I have an ATI card ...but XSI doesnt want to allow me to throw dialog windows onto my other monitor ? ...ill plough on ...but it would be nice to have this feature ...

thanks again,
paul

Changeling
11-28-2004, 10:39 AM
hey paul...

coming form 3dsm I was used to throwing popups onto 2nd smaller monitor too...

no such luck in XSI. all popups are constrained to the main window. If your monitors are the same size you can set up XSI to span both...

can't remember or find where that option is right now...

cheers

Paul Moran
11-28-2004, 10:47 AM
hey mate... hmm...no good about that ...however spanning over 2 monitors would be a good option ...ill dig around in the preferences (assuming its in there) ...

r u working in melbourne ? if so...where (and on what) ...

talk soon...thanks for the reply

paul

CraigT
11-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Have you tried one of the built-in dual monitor Layouts(under Application/Layouts)? I have my NVidia card set to Horizontal Span and the Layout set to "Dual-Standard, Views, Shelves" and it works fine.

MJV
11-28-2004, 06:32 PM
hey paul...

coming form 3dsm I was used to throwing popups onto 2nd smaller monitor too...

no such luck in XSI. all popups are constrained to the main window. If your monitors are the same size you can set up XSI to span both...

can't remember or find where that option is right now...

cheers
Seems like XSI uses the same stupid system a lot of graphics apps use in Windows. That is, everything is confined to the size of the background platform window. It's confusing the way XSI is set up because the elements resize with the background. Try using one of the dual monitor layouts or click the maximize button on the background and resize manually, or make your own layout. The problem is that both monitors have to be the same pixel size to span both correctly. Let's call a spade a spade here, it's a right mess! Coming from Cinema 4D, which has the most easily customized interface of any app I've ever used, XSI's is almost comically bad in this respect. On the other hand, the way that XSI is laid out to begin with is quite nice, and I like the how you can have the different managers fill the views. They just need to fix this silly background limitation business and make the app capable of working dual monitor regardless of monitor pixel size.

markdc
11-29-2004, 03:02 AM
Hey All,

I am running a dual monitor setup that works fine with everything but XSI ...is this an known issue ?

Like...ideally I want to, say, move some popup windows over to the other monitor while im working ...is this possible ?

Cheers for your replies

paul

If you're using nVidia, you have to use "horizontal span" mode instead of "dual view" mode. Then you shoulde be able to move XSI popups wherever you like.

Vertizor
11-29-2004, 06:19 AM
Actually I think the popup windows in XSI are custom made, and not true windows in the sense that Windows programmers know. Just a hunch, I think their whole UI is all in one OpenGL context (maybe composited in several, but ultimately displayed in one single Windows (the OS) window (the widget).

Normally I can take any window, right click on the title bar and there would be a command that says "send to..." with options to send it to whatever output available, be it another monitor or TV output. If it's not really a window in the programming sense, I don't think it can be moved to a secondary monitor. The XSI popup windows seem to be "drawn" into the XSI user interface, not true floating windows.

Changeling
11-29-2004, 07:03 AM
dual span is all very nice, if both monitors are the same... in my case I have

2048x1536 and a 1024 x 768 so not much good.... http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I use GIMP v 2.0 and they take it to the extreme that every popup is a completely seperate window, including the tab on the start bar...

It takes a little to get used to it, but it is the most flexible set up i know. If you use the four desktop tab in the start bar (?power toys... from windows.com) you can even spread them that way...

I think it is something that xsi sould look at.

The other thing that bugs me... not that 3dsm did it... is that it would be nice to open a window, say explorer '8' and THEN dock it to one of the view ports rather than have to do it via the view menu.

still I don't seem to need as much desktop with xsi as I did with 3dsm because of the better work flow.

Paul: Yes I am working in Melbourne, but not in graphics, (yet). XSI is a hobby which will hopefully become a part time job...

Ablefish
11-29-2004, 08:16 AM
While we're talking floating viewports... might as well throw out the reminder that you can doubleclick on the headers to collapse them. You can then move/scale that collapsed header where you want - xsi keeps track of where both the collapsed and expanded versions were last positioned if you're toggling back and forth.

One other thing, I remapped the '`' key to close floating window. I often get to the point where I have a dozen floating about and need to just close 'em all and start fresh.

Um, one other other thing - get used to the hotkeys in the viewport menus - ie, when you click on the title to change it to Explorer for example, just hit E when the menu's up, rather than digging into the list for Explorer.

Paul Moran
11-30-2004, 09:37 AM
hey, thanks for all the feedback guys!

Seems the best way to go is the layouts ...they do work :)

Im really anjoying XSI ...very nice and 9 times out of ten, intuative ;)

cheers,
paul

Changeling
11-30-2004, 11:21 AM
cheers for that Ablefish... didn't know that. :)

foxco
11-30-2004, 04:54 PM
I have found that there has been several instances where a browse to save file as or import export browsers have not shown up with my dual monitors. It was a huge pain in the butt.

If you ever get this problem you can swich in display options what monitor is primary and the save box pops up in the new primary.

Fox

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.