PDA

View Full Version : Hard Edge w/Toon shader?

TonyEdwards
11-28-2004, 05:34 AM
Hi folks,

I'm trying to model my first character to be rendered with the toon shader. I'm working on half the model with an instance and then symetrize polygons when complete. But because I mark the edges at 0 on x-axis hard I'm getting an unwanted line in my renders. I can't find a solution anywhere.

Here's an image of what I'm talking about.

http://www.cgneophyte.com/forum_images/cgtalk/041127_symetrize.jpg

At first I thought it was just b/c of the sharp angle but when I tested the above shape with out any subdivisions the center line was the only line that showed (with the exception of the outline). Also on the actual model I'm working on it's only the initial edges that have the line down the center, all the new edges at 0 on x-axis created from extrusions render without the line.

When modeling for the toon shader are you to work on the entire model instead of half?

Thanks

Ablefish
11-28-2004, 08:49 AM
What I would try is Cloning(not instancing) the half model and then applying Modify->Polymesh->Symmetrize Polygons to the clone. This will give you a symmetrical model without a seam and hopefully no line at rendertime.

You can still edit the original half and see the result reflected in the clone object. Freeze the clone when happy.

If the Hard line is persisting, select all the edges of the half object and Modify->Components->Mark Hard Edge, and turn it off. Freeze the half again.

TonyEdwards
11-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the response. I tried turning the hard edges off last night and that didn't work either. It distorts the mesh for some reason but that could have been me.

I found out my problem though.

I took a cylinder and deleted the all the points on the left side which results with an n-gon on the inside of the remaing half of the cylinder. Instead of deleting the resulting polygon (wich would automaticaly convert the edges to boundary edges) I was marking the edges as hard and then deleting the polygon.

That's why the edges after extrusion would not leave the seam b/c I was correctly deleting the inside poly making it unnecessary to mark those edges as hard.

Alternatively I could have selected and deleted all the polygons or edges (instead of points) on the left side of the cylinder which wouldn't leave the n-gon and make the resulting edges boundary edges.

I guess it was too late at night for me to think straight.

<Edit>
Last night I tried turning hard edges off after symetrizing. I tried it again on the half model before symetrizing like you mentioned and it worked.
</Edit>

Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.