PDA

View Full Version : Default slider ranges?

MJV
11-28-2004, 04:15 AM
What is with the default slider range for light intensity? It goes from zero to one. Does that make sense to anyone? I know I can type in a value but that's ridiculous. Just how ubiquitous is this slider range problem in XSI?

Ablefish
11-28-2004, 08:51 AM
In general I have very little use for both the slider ranges and default values in many of the xsi property pages. However, Light Intensity is probably one of the few places where I don't mind the 0 to 1 range. Why does that bother you so much?

MJV
11-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Why does that bother you so much?
Because I want the usable slider range to be between off and very bright, not between off and normal.

JDex
11-28-2004, 05:51 PM
SI needs to implement a feature that allows you to set slider range on the fly... w/ options to make the change persistant per property type... I'll add it to my wishlist at the base... and anyone who agrees should do the same...

XSIbase 4.5 Wishlist Thread (http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=13977)
If you decide to add to the wish list, be sure to read the opening thread and follow the posting rules for the thread carefully... it is heavily moderated and posts that don't conform get blown away.

Cheers

Eraq
11-28-2004, 07:01 PM
If you have good nerves or are a programming-guy, you can find the related *.spdl and change the the range of the parameters you want.

(If Im not mistaken that is....)

Erik

thebigMuh
11-28-2004, 08:03 PM
-) What slider range would you suggest instead of 0...1? -1...1? 0...10? 100? I think it's a reasonable default.

-) If you need more input and don't want to move your mouse hand to the keyboard (I know that I don't like to enter values manually), then just use the mouse wheel or virtual slider.

-) Not much of programming needed. Just right-click on the light grey area where it tells you the shader name (soft_light here) and select "Edit...". In the editor that opens, look for the parameter you want to change, and just change it. Example:

intensity

{

Name = "Intensity";

Description = "Color Intensity";

UIRange = 0.0 to 1.0 by 0.01;

}

-) Then use right-click->Refresh to reload the SPDL (you might have to restart).
Ciao, ímuh!

comanche
11-28-2004, 09:21 PM
Another way to get around the slider limit is to click and drag over the edit field left to the slider to increase/decrease the value by 1. Hold down Shift or hold down Ctrl while dragging to change values by 0.1 or 10.

EDIT: sory, do not drag left/right. Drag clockwise/counterclockwise. Here's the description in the manual:

To enter information by gestural input (scrubbing)

Click and drag the mouse pointer in a circular motion over a text box that supports numeric values. This is known as scrubbing. To increase the value, scrub in a clockwise direction; to decrease the value, scrub in a counterclockwise direction.

Press the Shift key while scrubbing to increment or decrement values by a factor of 0.1.
Press the Ctrl key while scrubbing to increment or decrement values by a factor of 10.

Cheers,
Andreas

CraigT
11-29-2004, 02:12 AM
Another way is to set the RGB values higher(like 10, 10, 10) and then use Intensity for the amount of light. This works just fine unless you decide to use a slider to change one of the values. :-)

MJV
11-29-2004, 02:45 AM
-) What slider range would you suggest instead of 0...1? -1...1? 0...10? 100? I think it's a reasonable default.

-) If you need more input and don't want to move your mouse hand to the keyboard (I know that I don't like to enter values manually), then just use the mouse wheel or virtual slider.

-) Not much of programming needed. Just right-click on the light grey area where it tells you the shader name (soft_light here) and select "Edit...". In the editor that opens, look for the parameter you want to change, and just change it. Example:

intensity

{

Name = "Intensity";

}

-) Then use right-click->Refresh to reload the SPDL (you might have to restart).
Ciao, ímuh!
Thanks bigMuh. The SPDL file is read-only by default. I had to first find the file in the finder and open properties and then toggle off the read-only status. After that I was able to change the slider range. I set the new slider intensity range from 0.0 to 1.8. Works perfectly. Thanks. :thumbsup:

MJV
11-29-2004, 03:10 AM
Another way to get around the slider limit is to click and drag over the edit field left to the slider to increase/decrease the value by 1. Hold down Shift or hold down Ctrl while dragging to change values by 0.1 or 10.

EDIT: sory, do not drag left/right. Drag clockwise/counterclockwise. Here's the description in the manual:

Cheers,
Andreas
Thanks comanche. I had read about that in the manual. There are three problems here:

1) Seems a little silly to have a value whose default range is zero to one suddenly increment by whole numbers when using the wheel or gestural input. Ok, you can use the shift key.

2) When I use the wheel, if the window itself has a scroll bar, the window itself will scrub as well as the number. The application should scrub one or the other depending upon what is or isn't selected. Not both at the same time.

3) Gestural input is very cool and I admire the idea a lot but it seems to require quite a lot of gesturing before the app finally catches on to what I'm trying to do. Do people really use this feature? And again, the value increments sometimes don't make much sense.

yog
11-29-2004, 09:27 AM

intensity

{

Name = "Intensity";

}

Ciao, ímuh!Many thanks TheBigMuh, a great tip :thumbsup:

On a related note, is there any way of setting the default starting value for sliders ?
I'm thinking manly of the cube primitive. A default value of 8 seems a bit odd. I've found the SPDL that sets the slider range for cube construction, but oddly it didn't appear to have the default starting value for each slider.

Ta.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.