PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer to paint with airbrush or paintbrush?

illustr8rX
12-13-2001, 06:50 PM
When painting in Photoshop, do you prefer the look achieved by the hard edged paintbrush or the softer airbrush look?
I know it depends on what you are painting. I'm not talking about doing textures, or something specific for a job; I mean when you're painting just for yourself.
Most of my stuff has been done with the airbrush tool, but recently I've seen images done with a harder edge, and I really like the energy these pieces have, very painterly/sketchlike, but still finished...
Anyway, I was just wondering what anyone else thought. Thanks

Cryptkeeper
12-13-2001, 07:04 PM
Airbrush, it works wonders with my tablet, I also like the softer edge it gives me.

frank
12-13-2001, 07:22 PM
I really prefer the brush look! The airbrush feels to soft.

Personal taste I suppose.

Frank

Fat&ugly
12-13-2001, 09:09 PM
definately have to say `switch hitter`on this one. I like the paintbrush for the edges and the airbrush for surfaces. I think is makes the illusion of lighting more realistic.

lildragon
12-13-2001, 09:35 PM
I've found and seen that airbrush works wonders on art. even more so than dodge/burn :)

Martin-K-
12-13-2001, 09:40 PM
dodge and burn is evil.!!

kumodot
12-13-2001, 11:06 PM
YES ! I am using a tablet too, and Dodge/Burn (With ALT key), is a very versitile tool ! I always put lights, volume and shadows with Dodge/Burn.

I will put anothe Digital Painting, of an "pirate''s Skull", or somelike this...On the next post...Please...Take a Look. It's all Dodge and Burn. :)

wolf
12-16-2001, 08:53 AM
I use the airbrush for coloring. It rocks at shadows.

nick
12-16-2001, 11:44 PM
Well it all depends on what you are needing todo! but for drawing straight into photoshop paintbrush all the way! Though i prefer painter for illustrative work but i end up using both :)

Kadde
12-17-2001, 01:13 AM
about the hard/soft brush in photoshop, i always have
problems with the soft brush, the painting ended up with
some blurred edges or a "beginner look". so i was trying only the hard brush , custom brushes, and
dodge/burn. this is a little study i was playing with:

http://www.kadde.hpg.ig.com.br/cesario%20copy.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.