PDA

View Full Version : biped walk cycle

pixel8
11-27-2004, 04:45 AM
hi all

this is my first biped walk cycle....i'm treating this as a STARTING POINT which i can add more detail to....seems pretty robotic though....any hints to make it smoother / better?

http://home.iprimus.com.au/pixel8/walk.mpg (316kB)

thanks

paul

Kanga
11-27-2004, 06:44 AM
I sure aint no walk cycle genius (there are many on this forum tho).
Looked pretty damn good as a rough.
Is it a low framerate?

An idea is that with 3d exagerating movement seems to be a requisite. For instance, the shoulders pivot and anticipate the next step. Slow mo walk across your room and check it out. In real life this is very subtle but this is once thing you could overdo in your mod and it may come out just right!

General hip sway, head sway and pay lots of attention to easein and easeout on your animi curves. Higher fps with make it smoother.:thumbsup:

pixel8
11-28-2004, 12:02 AM
hey kanga

framerate is 25fps....seems like there are a couple of hitches or jerks in the motion....maybe that's the curves....set to linear to get the feet to remain planted but maybe that's the problem.....

yeah i did think about exaggerating the movement....infact i did it that way initially but looked too much so i pulled it back a bit.....will tweak that a bit and see how it looks

thanks

paul

Kanga
11-28-2004, 12:49 AM
25 fps sounds ok.

Youll have to keep the feet planted with linear but maybe coming out the other side the curve needs smoothing.

Like I said I aint no walk expert!

Keep em comin:thumbsup:

Slimmoo
11-29-2004, 08:44 AM
I like it, but I think it needs some work on the right leg, kinda looks like he has a limp going on.

mttjss
11-29-2004, 05:56 PM
I was gonna say the same thing about the right leg.

His left leg is very smooth, just looks like the right one has some jerks in the animation.
other than that its pretty decent..
maybe a little closer view so we can get a good idea about the whole body

pixel8
11-30-2004, 02:17 AM
thanks kanga, slimmoo & mttjss

i'll have a look at that tonight and post the result

regards

paul

pixel8
12-03-2004, 08:14 PM
ok i finally got back to it and yes there were some things about the legs that didn't match up so i fixed them. one of the areas that still needs fixing is the difference in tangency of the curve at the end of the cycle and the beginning. my cycle is 25 frames so frame 1 and 25 don't match tangency. how do i do this? by eye? copy and paste the keys? copy and paste the particular tangent handle?

thanks

paul

pixel8
12-03-2004, 10:42 PM
here's 3 views of the latest walk....

1) http://home.iprimus.com.au/pixel8/walkSide.mpg (251KB)
2) http://home.iprimus.com.au/pixel8/walkFront.mpg (211KB)
3) http://home.iprimus.com.au/pixel8/walkPersp.mpg (379KB)

also does everyone use the trax editor for repeating cycles? or copy and paste in the graph editor?

and how about making the animation so that each cycle of the walk is a little different / unique so that it doesn't look like a robot with each action exactly the same on every cycle?

thanks

paul

GregRinaldi
12-04-2004, 11:29 PM
I think the reason he looks robotic is because you need to work on your weight and timing; not because of the repetition of each cycle. Someone once told me that walking is a controlled fall. In other words, with each step the weight of your body is subjected to the force of gravity. The only thing that prevents you from busting your ass is that you put one foot forward to "catch" yourself. Then you repeat the process with the other foot. One basic thing you are missing in this cycle is the up and down motion on the character's center of gravity (in this case, the hips) as it rises and falls. It seems like his hips are on a rail; as they stay at the same height throught the entire cycle. This is a HUGE factor when trying to convey a sense of weight, and I think you'll see a big improvement just by giving him the proper up/down motion. There are other more subtle issues with the cycle, so I'd advise going to your local bookstore (or library) and getting a copy of Richard Williams' "The Animator's Survival Kit." It's a great read with tons and tons of walk cycle break downs. The walk cycle is typically the most technically challenging action to animate. Once you understand it and all it's intricacies, your animation will improve immensly.

pixel8
12-06-2004, 01:18 AM
Hi Greg

thanks to all for your suggestions....i did have the hips moving up and down but not much......i've heard many good things about that book so with xmas getting close i'm sure i'll get it......

i've gone back over my walk cycle and tweaked and refined things.....here it is

http://home.iprimus.com.au/pixel8/walkPersp.mpg (411KB)

any thoughts?

paul

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.