PDA

View Full Version : Imported objects can't be lit?

MJV
11-27-2004, 04:38 AM
I import an obj file and give it a new material. No matter what I do though, the material does not respond to diffuse lighting. Only the ambient value is visible. How can I make it work?

JDex
11-27-2004, 04:44 AM
In the explorer... expand your imported objects and look for a cluster called user normals... delete the bugger... have fun.

MJV
11-27-2004, 05:01 AM
Thanks a lot. I was suspicious it was a normal issue, thus my other post about normals too (thanks for the answer there also) but I would have never figured out what to do. I tried importing with the 'import normals' option unchecked, but every time I tried that the import didn't work at all. No objects came in.

JDex
11-27-2004, 05:29 AM
Thanks a lot. I was suspicious it was a normal issue, thus my other post about normals too (thanks for the answer there also) but I would have never figured out what to do. I tried importing with the 'import normals' option unchecked, but every time I tried that the import didn't work at all. No objects came in.
Yeah... it's a common issue... and definitely a quark in XSI's .obj implementation. Thankfully there is a production workaround.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.