PDA

View Full Version : Deux Ex Meshugana, Richard Marchand (3D)

Richard-Marchand
11-27-2004, 03:19 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/121280/121280_1101525591_medium.jpg

Title: Deux Ex Meshugana
Name: Richard Marchand
Software: 3ds max, Photoshop, Poser

Another image made while listening to Dead Can Dance and Aphew Twin, a nice mix of ancient and modern sounds.

Some of my favorite images are faded old sun bleached scans of SF novel covers. I think the overall color reflects this somewhat. Inspired by artists such as Richard Powers, Beksinski, early Jim Burns, Siudmak, Bisley

Also inspired by a reoccuring dream in which I can roller blade on my feet. Now that would be handy!

Spigaou
11-28-2004, 09:52 AM
No reply ??????? great work dude, i love it :thumbsup:

nicolasambrosio
11-28-2004, 10:53 AM
very nice work, can you post a wire? is it a scanline render? maybe motion blur could add realisme to the scene.

Skyraider3D
11-28-2004, 12:13 PM
A wire would indeed be nice :) It almost looks 2D. Very cool style. Perhaps get rid of the little red logos as they're distracting from this style.

Rollerblade on your feet handy? You never use stairs? :D

Jordano
11-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Nice and professional!

ufotung
11-28-2004, 01:10 PM
you did a good job , a nice mix of ancient and modern sounds ~

I like the whole mood ~

Adeel Bukhari
11-28-2004, 02:57 PM
nice work bro, i like it's style and colors

Xtra
11-28-2004, 04:19 PM
Strange, but nice. Dead can dance? Well, I've a best of CD (A passage in time)... like your image: strange, but nice :)

Z3uS
11-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Nice, good work

Richard-Marchand
11-28-2004, 06:27 PM
very nice work, can you post a wire? is it a scanline render? maybe motion blur could add realisme to the scene.
Hey Koony, thanks, glad you like it!

Good point on the blur, I did try a little in Photoshop and while it did enhance the motion I'm trying to lean a little more painterly than realistic.

As for a wire... to be honest I think if I posted a wire I would be laughed off of the forums! I just took a look at it (I only ever work in solid textured mode) and it is so so very dense, practically solid! Like most of my work at home right now it is only intended to be a still and not animated so I really throw efficiency out the window in favor of quick results. At work I am much more efficient, honest! http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gif All told this one took about ten hours to make. The renderer is just straight up Max, no frills.

Richard-Marchand
11-28-2004, 06:32 PM
A wire would indeed be nice :) It almost looks 2D. Very cool style. Perhaps get rid of the little red logos as they're distracting from this style.

Rollerblade on your feet handy? You never use stairs? :D

Hmmm, good point, well a rollerblade option would be nice...

The lil red logo... yah, that is one of those things that just happened to show up... like when you take a photo and realise after you develop it that there is a butterfly on the motorcycle. One of those anomalies that just butts in...

Skyraider3D
11-28-2004, 06:40 PM
(I only ever work in solid textured mode)Alrighty then, could you show us an untextured solid render of it please? We're just curious to see what the model actually looks like underneath all those complex textures! :D

like when you take a photo and realise after you develop it that there is a butterfly on the motorcycle.I know this all too well. I once took a great pic at an airshow, but when I developed it it turned out there was a contrail of an airliner far behind it. Another plane, you might think, no big deal! But the darn contrail had nothing to do with the airshow and it actually looked like a big scratch on the photo. Nothing Photoshop couldn't fix though! ;)

SuperXCM
11-28-2004, 09:04 PM
excellent work... nice style!:thumbsup:

PUR-C
11-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Damn that seems to be a difficult mesh. Realy cool.

Richard-Marchand
11-28-2004, 11:11 PM
[QUOTE=Skyraider3D]Alrighty then, could you show us an untextured solid render of it please? We're just curious to see what the model actually looks like underneath all those complex textures! :D

heheh, OK, you asked for it! Prepare to be completely underwhelmed by this boring mesh!

http://www.richardmarchand.com/Crap_mesh_WIREZ.htm

zzzzzz...... http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Skyraider3D
11-28-2004, 11:45 PM
Hehehe, you must have confused yourself with that mesh!!! :eek:
I suppose you made two unique models then, as I can see no way you can easily rig that mes-! :twisted:

Richard-Marchand
11-29-2004, 12:06 AM
Hehehe, you must have confused yourself with that mesh!!! :eek:
I suppose you made two unique models then, as I can see no way you can easily rig that mes-! :twisted:
What I do is pose the mesh in Poser and then export it as a .3ds for manips in MAX. For doing stills it works great! Why model and rig everything from the ground up if it is not intended for animation?

Skyraider3D
11-29-2004, 12:16 AM
I see :) I never really used Poser, so I had no clue how you could pose models without rigging them. Not a character modeller myself, clearly! ;)
Gotto do a decent pilot one day, though...

leho
11-29-2004, 09:44 AM
is it supposed to be deus ex not deux ex?! :P

DAREONER
11-29-2004, 11:49 AM
very original art:thumbsup:

Richard-Marchand
11-29-2004, 07:12 PM
is it supposed to be deus ex not deux ex?! :P

http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

bigbad
11-30-2004, 12:53 AM
Very punky.

Rio Yeti
11-30-2004, 01:31 AM
Nice work man.
I appreciate the fact that in your work you can tell the influences (like beksinski or siudmak), but you really bring something more to it that is your own. (how many 3D Giger-like images have we seen with nothing new...)

I also appreciate the music references, although I wouldn't have thought of it just by seeing your image, once I read it I found it logical.

Now for the nerdy question... How do you uvmap such a complicate model ? Does Poser give you a unwrap you can reuse in Max ?
Sorry for that... Won't happen again... :wise:

Hickory
11-30-2004, 02:35 AM
I like the pic, I think maybe a little use of depth of field would help separate the 2 better. They seem to appear as one.

Great taste in music. I love Dead Can Dance and Aphex Twin and can totally see how they would influence your work:)

Ollarin
11-30-2004, 03:34 AM
Wow! Great concept, great render! So original! :thumbsup:

Richard-Marchand
11-30-2004, 04:11 AM
Nice work man.
I appreciate the fact that in your work you can tell the influences (like beksinski or siudmak), but you really bring something more to it that is your own. (how many 3D Giger-like images have we seen with nothing new...)

I also appreciate the music references, although I wouldn't have thought of it just by seeing your image, once I read it I found it logical.

Now for the nerdy question... How do you uvmap such a complicate model ? Does Poser give you a unwrap you can reuse in Max ?
Sorry for that... Won't happen again... :wise:
Thanks, I'm glad you like my stuff! Yah, I wouldn't feel right not mentioning those that inspired me. I'm very grateful for their contributions! No one is an island.

For UVmapping still images I generaly just project from the viewport (more or less) once I have the poses and composition set up. Simple, easy. Won't win me any hardcore 3D awards but it will get me a still in a a tenth of the time!http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Richard-Marchand
11-30-2004, 04:15 AM
I like the pic, I think maybe a little use of depth of field would help separate the 2 better. They seem to appear as one.

Great taste in music. I love Dead Can Dance and Aphex Twin and can totally see how they would influence your work:)
Good idea re:depth of field, I'll give it a try. The one in the front has most of the interesting detail anyway.

As for Aphex Twin and Dead Can Dance they sound great playing at the same time too, mix em together!

Richard-Marchand
11-30-2004, 04:38 AM
Wow! Great concept, great render! So original! :thumbsup:
Thanks Admiral! (salutes)

Tilstrom
11-30-2004, 08:19 AM
i love the character designs, very cool. :)

Jameslsy
11-30-2004, 09:47 AM
Wicked piece of art! Rock on dude!

blacknoise
11-30-2004, 10:17 AM
havent seen such an original/great piece here for a long time. really enjoy it.

ivo D
11-30-2004, 11:02 AM
very inspiring, looks great, the only thing bothering mee is not seeing the feet, it looks right but also i little wrong. dont know what it is.

maybe you should move it around a little or than again.. hard:D

but this looks awsome, cant see whatits constructed out. seems like muscles and such, wire plzz, an unsmoothed wire to be exact. want to see some clear structure, cant tell half of it:D

just know that it looks great :thumbsup:

marcowilz
11-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Very nice artwork!
I love the colors and the detail. You can really dive deep into the inner structure of the machines.

strangelife
11-30-2004, 03:47 PM
super cool models. seeing those animated would be a feast for the eyes.

daart
11-30-2004, 05:38 PM
Great picture:)))) Well done!

Richard-Marchand
11-30-2004, 06:33 PM
very inspiring, looks great, the only thing bothering mee is not seeing the feet, it looks right but also i little wrong. dont know what it is.

maybe you should move it around a little or than again.. hard:D

but this looks awsome, cant see whatits constructed out. seems like muscles and such, wire plzz, an unsmoothed wire to be exact. want to see some clear structure, cant tell half of it:D

just know that it looks great :thumbsup:Thanks ivo D (nice specs)! I like it when an image is a bit antagonistic. When something has an unease or ambiguity to it that ticks away at the brain. When something is aligned too perfectly or too dramatically it can be boring as we are already inundated with that kind of composition and it is too familiar. Humans are all about pattern recognition and we inherently love challenging this ability. So I like making images where even I don't quite know what the heck is going on... something is amiss. Those kinds of images keep me coming back to them.

skurge13
11-30-2004, 07:44 PM
Richard, I'm utterly amazed. You are a true artist. I thought, "Man, at this level of quality, he can't have many images like this," but then I visited your website and couldn't believe how many amazing images you have, you obviously work very hard. I still don't understand how you did this, but oh well (I wish I could just watch you work, though!). I love what you call that "bleached out sci-fi book cover" look, that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw it!

Oh, and on top of all that, you're a musician too??? Good grief, you're making me feel incredibly inadequate. On a side note, I found your website really fast (over 300k), who are you using for web hosting?

ivo D
11-30-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks ivo D (nice specs)! I like it when an image is a bit antagonistic. When something has an unease or ambiguity to it that ticks away at the brain. When something is aligned too perfectly or too dramatically it can be boring as we are already inundated with that kind of composition and it is too familiar. Humans are all about pattern recognition and we inherently love challenging this ability. So I like making images where even I don't quite know what the heck is going on... something is amiss. Those kinds of images keep me coming back to them.

good point ;) it does make you look in a way, and lets you search for more.

great work on your page btw.. all models made by yourself.. ? caus you make lots a year :D

loocas
12-01-2004, 01:30 AM
Very artistic! Composition wise very good! I like the colors and the contrast between the background and the blue dudes! The only thing I'd crit is the use of POSER, I'm strongly against POSER when it comes to character-close-up creation, but still, this is unique and then... forgiven ;)http://www.cgtalk.com/images/rating/rating_4.gif from me! :thumbsup:

Richard-Marchand
12-01-2004, 03:09 AM
Very artistic! Composition wise very good! I like the colors and the contrast between the background and the blue dudes! The only thing I'd crit is the use of POSER, I'm strongly against POSER when it comes to character-close-up creation, but still, this is unique and then... forgiven ;)http://www.cgtalk.com/images/rating/rating_4.gif from me! :thumbsup:
Thanks Loocas, glad you like the image! As for Poser, yah if someone's intent is to show off modeling prowess than Poser is certainly of no interest to them. For my interests I see it as no different then a photographer shooting a real life model that they never gave birth to... or taking a real life model, tearing their skin off and grafting engine parts to them... not wanting to go to jail you can see my interest in Poser.

But yah, I can see your perspective. Hell, some people are strongly opposed to making art with a computer, in fact they claim it isn't even possible! "The screen interferes with your aura", I 've actually been told! http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Richard-Marchand
12-01-2004, 03:12 AM
good point ;) it does make you look in a way, and lets you search for more.

great work on your page btw.. all models made by yourself.. ? caus you make lots a year :D
Glad you like the page! I use Poser, so that hacks off about 90% of the time http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon13.gif
That way I can make a whack of images and still get out and enjoy life too boot!

Richard-Marchand
12-01-2004, 03:27 AM
Richard, I'm utterly amazed. You are a true artist. I thought, "Man, at this level of quality, he can't have many images like this," but then I visited your website and couldn't believe how many amazing images you have, you obviously work very hard. I still don't understand how you did this, but oh well (I wish I could just watch you work, though!). I love what you call that "bleached out sci-fi book cover" look, that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw it!

Oh, and on top of all that, you're a musician too??? Good grief, you're making me feel incredibly inadequate. On a side note, I found your website really fast (over 300k), who are you using for web hosting?
Thanks Skurge13! That is really flattering praise (blush)

I do use Poser which helps for sure and I tend to just dive in and see what happens rather than too much planning and sketching etc. I take a surrealists approach and most of what you see in the images come from collaging photos that I have taken for use as textures.

I guess it is a lot like how one ussualy makes music in that I don't envison the final song so much as jam and noodle until something interesting comes up and next thing you know you have a song in front of you! err I mean image, no wait that was song, yah. The two are very interchangable as far as mindsets and creative proccess go.

hey looks like you are in BC too, where are you? For the webhost I am using a local host http://www.canadianwebhosting.com/ which is a great deal, really good support staff too! (No I don't know them personaly, they were actually really helpful!)http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Thanks again for the kind words!!

ivo D
12-01-2004, 11:34 AM
aah poser that explains a lot..;)

i allmost thought you didnt have a life :eek:

You are one of a few who use poser wisely, in most images, you cant even see it, so youve succeded, in just using it as a tool

the way of art indeed:thumbsup:

Cableguy
12-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Fantastic stuff.... could you elaborate on how you got such deep bevels on the texture generated parts? Or was it displacement mapping, or something else?

3D Freak
12-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Very Nice work.......I visited your site as well & I gotta say your work is all fantastic! I personally have never used Poser, but the work your doing here will definately make me think twice about it. It seems everyone is always baggin' on it, but what I've seen from your work here & on you site- it is a great tool that could be the start of some kick ass artwork & as many great images as you have produced with it- it obviously saves alot of time in the modelling end of things. Most of the Poser Images you see look like #$%@*, with a generic plastic mannequin feel to them, but you work is definately far from that........Keep up the great work!- 3DF.

skurge13
12-01-2004, 08:48 PM
hey looks like you are in BC too, where are you?
I'm located in Kamloops. I was too embarrassed to put that name in my profile, lol...

Skyraider3D
12-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Hey man, I see you got a CG Choice award for this one! Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Richard-Marchand
12-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Very Nice work.......I visited your site as well & I gotta say your work is all fantastic! I personally have never used Poser, but the work your doing here will definately make me think twice about it. It seems everyone is always baggin' on it, but what I've seen from your work here & on you site- it is a great tool that could be the start of some kick ass artwork & as many great images as you have produced with it- it obviously saves alot of time in the modelling end of things. Most of the Poser Images you see look like #$%@*, with a generic plastic mannequin feel to them, but you work is definately far from that........Keep up the great work!- 3DF.
Thanks 3D Freak, glad you like the site too! Yah, Poser has a bad rep which is too bad. That sort of thing will ease up though as procedural character systems become the norm. The human form and function will be broken down and made into a series of flexible parameters. You'll be able to add appendages and mess with critters however you like with a full rig and musculature, pregenerated based on even more plain english controls and lots of VR hand waving too! http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif Well OK, getting a bit ahead of the near future but why not? Things move fast! Twelve years ago I keyframed 3D objects via text scripting on an 8mhz machine! (holding lower back, shaking cane)

Just looking at animation systems like CAT are clearly heading in that direction. Virtual actors are not too far off and the Poser bashers will be among the same curmudgeons in history who dumped on the airbrush or, well even the computer as an artistic tool. Yah, I say explore all the tools and forget the nay sayers! This stuff is just too fun to take too seriously and who knows where it will go...

Richard-Marchand
12-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Hey man, I see you got a CG Choice award for this one! Congratulations! :thumbsup:
Thanks man, I am completely delighted and surpised! Hah, at first I thought they deleted it off of the forum because of something I said.http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

jdsb
12-02-2004, 09:13 PM
looks good....congrats :) :) :)

Richard-Marchand
12-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Fantastic stuff.... could you elaborate on how you got such deep bevels on the texture generated parts? Or was it displacement mapping, or something else?

Thanks Cableguy, yes I did use displacement mapping, there is also a fair degree of faux lighting in the texture.

While I didn't use it in this image, normal maps (using Kaldera for Max) can really add a heck of a lot of punch too. Very recommended!

Concept-Mutt
12-03-2004, 09:04 PM
great work

nicholas_leecool
12-04-2004, 01:36 AM
can not sleep.

KolbyJukes
12-04-2004, 03:28 AM
great work richard, looks like you've got a solid body of work on your website, very cool style.

saguru
12-05-2004, 01:58 AM
Realy like youre pic, hmm could write more, but ppl already said what i had on my mind :)
One thing though, you could try a tad more grunge on he foreground thing/mesh/bot, maybe some scratches or dirt, just a bit though. Especialy on the lighted areas.

Then it would be perfect :love:

LAURO_MX
12-05-2004, 03:13 AM
Amazing!:thumbsup:
Great job dude

irwit
12-05-2004, 05:04 PM
I have that same dream :P Differant work, i like it, nice colour pallete

3dflashart
12-07-2004, 01:29 PM
你的作品很有冲击力,一件非常优秀的作品,我把他推荐给国内的艺术家了!

PeT45
12-08-2004, 10:15 AM
delete double posting
(http://www.latal.de)

PeT45
12-08-2004, 10:20 AM
http://www.latal.de/pet/bilder/wartender3.jpg

the hopeful man

Emmanuel Rodrigues
12-08-2004, 04:17 PM
what is this? awsome!!

Richard-Marchand
12-09-2004, 06:45 PM
the hopeful man
hey PeT45, some cool funk going on in that one! I like the composition which is gutsy (i.e. brave) too, chopping the figure in the frame like that. Feels like a 'hip shot' with the camera.

michelanimator
12-15-2004, 11:46 AM
It's very arty! I like the poses of the characters and the feel and look of the work is great too. Maybe more light to the scence to bring up more details?..
Great work!

Jackbull
12-20-2004, 11:32 PM
Wow......wow.......wow and for you other images in your gallary....wow....wow,
Teach me....plz....wow!!!

amazing truly amazing

Richard-Marchand
12-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Wow......wow.......wow and for you other images in your gallary....wow....wow,
Teach me....plz....wow!!!

amazing truly amazing
Wow, thanks Jackbull! I'm very flattered. (blush)http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Agiv3D
12-24-2004, 08:47 AM
great consept

b00bie
12-28-2004, 10:58 PM
impressive work..
and nice title ^^

Hooch
12-30-2004, 06:22 AM
this kind of work keeps me going pal!

my post: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1844892#post1844892

mogla
01-02-2005, 06:11 PM
The characters in the foreground are fantastic but the background has me confused, I can't understand what it represents, is it a wall or an open space? It's that diagonal shadow that cuts across in the lower half of the image that is causing me concern.

Mesh renders would be pretty cool too.

very stylish nonetheless.:)

Ramteen
01-07-2005, 12:22 AM
I like #d robot models !

So I love it .
good luck :thumbsup:

Kralle
01-08-2005, 12:40 AM
Nice, looks evil!

Hamad88
01-09-2005, 08:42 AM
its really really fantastic designe .. good luck in next time .. see you there ..

alternative
02-15-2005, 05:43 AM
good job! i love it.

Gaara_06
03-24-2005, 03:57 PM
Nice it looks very original.

teruchan
06-12-2005, 07:47 PM
What about the title? Do we get no explanation as to why you titled it so? ;)

T

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2005, 07:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.