PDA

View Full Version : help, hand animation

KiboOst
08-27-2002, 02:53 PM
Hi,

How do you animate hands ?
by bones ? if yes, FK or IK (hi or hd solver ?) ? Or any form of IK-Spline ?
Morph (with progressive morphing on max5 ?)
or with different poses in the timeline, then copy the pose where it needs to ?

Thanks !

Kib

KiboOst
08-28-2002, 08:40 AM
no advice ??

I begin to put FK bones in the hand to make the morph targets. I think morphing will be easier way to animate hands. less controls.

any infos ?

Kib

Iain McFadzen
08-28-2002, 08:58 AM
I set up FK bones, then add some Custom Attributes to the hand control null and Parameter Wire them to the fingers' rotation tracks. That way I can control the whole range of hand movement from a single object. Then it's just a matter of posing and keying.

KiboOst
08-28-2002, 09:57 AM
hey that's exactly what I want !! Can you be more precise ?

here is a screen of my hand : http://www.kicrea.com/atelier/Lea/IK_hands01.gif
the skinnig is now ok.

I was thinkink making some morph target, but keep bones into it to animate both morpher and bones for specials poses.
But I think your solution is better, please point me closer on yours ?

Cheers

Kib

Spyder
09-26-2002, 10:56 PM
i prefer to use set driven keys when animating and setting up a hand. i start with the fingers in the default postion and then rotate them to a closed postion and then key. I usally use a custom channel on my control boxes as the driver. It's a little time consuming but it usally work the best. With morph targets you really never know what your going to get or how it will morph. even with faces I set up bones and create custom channels to animate, that way i know exactly whats moving and you can get much more realistic facile expessions. If you you have any other questions just let me know and i'll be then happy to help.

eek
09-27-2002, 08:18 AM
OK, ok i see your using Max, so what i think you want is to control a finger to curl but also to rotate individual parts i.e. joints yes?

Pic attached:

Hope it helps, i'll try add file as well.

Eek

KiboOst
09-27-2002, 08:36 AM
I've finally found a very comfort technic. Effectively, morph target is like pure shit for hands. I wanted morph but bones based, not mesh based. And I've found a little script, AniPose, which store the bones poses. So you can go quickly between hand poses, and you still have your bones for special poses. It works really nice and is powerfull, with minor controls :thumbsup:

Kib

goosh
09-27-2002, 04:46 PM
Why so complicated?

In Maya I use Set Driven Keys (most of the time) but if not, just normal FK does the trick perfectly.. you don't need any fancy set up and it's fast to animate..

Sometimes even set driven keys can be a pain and take control away from you..

I would just FK them.

Goosh

KiboOst
09-27-2002, 05:30 PM
Mine are just FK too, for sure. But so many parts to animate for some simple poses. Hands don't stop moving, so I prefer have bones poses (hand open, relax, close, etc..) and just blend those pose in the timeline. And then for special purpose, I sure can animate manually the bones. Like this you can give hand expression really quickly :wavey:

Kib

goosh
09-27-2002, 07:54 PM
you are taking your freedom way from you like that..

Ok, sure you can still go in a tweak.. but by having morph targets to hit,.. I don't know...

That's the way I'm animating for this game I'm working for (with morph targets) and I hate it.. 'cause I would like to have a lot more freedome... (I can't go in and tweak things)

FK is not a problem at all.. there are not THAT many parts to animate and control... and you have absolute freedom to do whatever you want

:thumbsup:

Goosh

KiboOst
09-28-2002, 11:18 AM
goosh, I haven't morph target, I don't use max morpher :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.