PDA

View Full Version : XSI 3D Fluid Solver

jppolk
11-26-2004, 09:08 PM
i looked for a thread that had some information of Guy Rabiller but didnt find any, his fluid simulations are amazing and some are even real time i realy would like to do this with XSI without any third party like realflow if someone knows anithing plese tell me.

http://grabiller.3dvf.net/site/index.php?lang=eng&url=gal_rnd_fluids_eng.html

wmendez
11-27-2004, 07:04 AM
Guy is a TD at LaMaison (http://www.alamaison.fr/english/E_multi_frame.htm) in France. His fluid solver is part of some inhouse R&D projects.

jppolk
11-27-2004, 08:29 AM
cool thanks, to bad they are not available

benvu
11-27-2004, 03:30 PM
The fluid solver on Guy Rabiller's website looked similar to my result with Maya Fluid Effects using a 3D volume box. I am trying to produce a realistic fountain. Should I stick with Maya Fluids or can anyone recommend an XSI solution? Or something better?

I am in the process of moving over to XSI and hate going back to Maya for Fluid Effects which I am not sure is production ready.

My goal is to make some dancing fountains in the middle of a large pond. Each fountain emitter will need to rotate on xyz. It is essential that the water falloff hits the pond water. The goal is photoreal. Think: Bellagio Las Vegas.

I just started with Maya fluids but having a hard time controlling the dissipation and the overall look of it. Any ideas on where to start or look for tips would be appreciated.

AdrianLazar
11-27-2004, 06:19 PM
benvu, try realflow

jppolk
11-27-2004, 06:21 PM
I think real flow can basicly do everything you whant if youre going for a realistic similation, i havent tryed maya particles yet but i heard you can do more with them than with the xsi particles.

About if it is production ready it depends on your needs, xsi particles are getting beter but i still peple say that there is nothing like maya particles, exept for realflow of course.

benvu
11-28-2004, 12:48 AM
Nextlimit.com server seems to be down for the weekend. How much does RealFlow cost? Does it have a built in renderer or is it better to render in mr? I need to integrate the fountains in with 24p DV footage.

Also, just curious, what if I wanted to do a crude thick black fountain, would RealFlow still be the best choice or Maya Fluids, or XSI?

jppolk
11-28-2004, 01:30 AM
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=real+flow

its kind of expensive, but when the site is up again, watch the simulations they have. You'll be impresed (at least i was), i think its the best. And yes, you can do almost anithing (from liquids to solids).

real flow is just a simulation program so you would import the simulation from RF to your 3d software and render there with mental ray or whatever you need, it works with all the big 3d packages.

there is also one called "glu 3d" but i dont know much about it, and i think its only for Max.

benvu
11-29-2004, 12:00 PM
I was able to try out RealFlow 2.5 this weekend. Thanks for the tip Oxygen!
It is very slow so I am considering using the dummy particles and trying other methods within the app. Also, my container mesh needed to be in triangles, did not know that. I need realtime feedback from my fountains (synced to sound) so I am not sure if RealFlow can keep up. But the Elastic module is really sweet!

mawashi
11-29-2004, 01:21 PM
there is also one called "glu 3d" but i dont know much about it, and i think its only for Max.
I think I saw Glu3D for Maya, before they made one for Max, too. But correct me if I'm wrong. Calculation wise, I think Glu3D is much faster than RealFlow, but I'm not sure about which one being physically more correct.

AdrianLazar
11-29-2004, 02:14 PM
i don't know very much about glue3d but realflow can do also gas and rigid body simulations, and from what i saw i think that is more physically correct than glue 3d

jppolk
11-29-2004, 07:18 PM
i never tyed glu 3d, but realflow works fine for me, im with oxyg3n^

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.