PDA

View Full Version : Sample Points to Vertices

ChristianFischer
11-26-2004, 04:00 PM
hi.

is there a way to convert a uv sample point selection to a vertex selection?
if i select vertices, the corresponding sample points are automatically selected ... so is there a way to do it the opposite way?

chris

JDex
11-26-2004, 04:17 PM
I'm afraid it is not a two way street... although perhaps a script could be concocted. I have seen this request brought up a few times, but don't think I've ever needed to do such a thing. I usually create component clusters for everything before I start UVing.

ChristianFischer
11-26-2004, 04:33 PM
too bad ..

I usually create component clusters for everything before I start UVing.

me too usually, but i was planning to have a complete body texture in one projection.
but since xsi doesn't like textures bigger than 3k i need to split up the different bodyparts.
i already did it manually now by selecting the polygons again and creating a cluster for them ...
but a tool that automatically does this would be handy .. :)

ps: i now that i could convert my textures to .map files so that they can be bigger than 3k, but i don't want to convert the file everytime i make a change to the texture.

JDex
11-26-2004, 04:48 PM
Are you using 4.0???

XSI will auto convert texture files to .map at render... AFAIK it will check to see if the source texture has been modified and if so update the .map file.

Another nicety is that in the preferences you can set the dimension "threshold" for XSI to determine if a file should be converted. I set it to 1025... this way 1024x1024 files are not converted, but 1025x1025+ are... since I always work in standard sizes (64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096) only the textures that will show improvement (2048 & 4096) are converted.

ChristianFischer
11-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Are you using 4.0???
yes i do ... and i reeeaaally should read the new features manual :D

the "auto converter function" and the treshold thingy for a map to being auto converted sounds great.

i definately will check that option!

thanks JDex :)

Chinny
11-26-2004, 06:57 PM
<<<is there a way to convert a uv sample point selection to a vertex selection?>>>

There are many scripts and tools in your local Netview that comes with XSI - always check there first.

look under MCP\UI > Selection

Samples to components

Chinny

ChristianFischer
11-26-2004, 07:34 PM
thanks for the tip chinny! :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.