PDA

View Full Version : need help with rendering

TheShaddix
11-26-2004, 03:41 AM
Here is the problem: i have a scene that consists of about 1300 objects, but most of them are low poly. The only highpoly model in the scene is my car (u can check on my sign). I know that xsi cant handle rendering it, so i use XSI_batch. It used to work fine, but now something is wrong. The process stops after 10 min or so, gettin to about 30% and the batch window just disappears. I thought it was because the geom. approximation was too high, but then i tried it at 0 for every object and it still quit on me. Then i tried it without textures- still quit. It quits with FG or without. It used to be perfect, but now something is definately wrong. If anyone knows a solution to this, let me know, please. My motivation level is dropping every day because of these small issues. First i had a transformation problem - fixed it. Now this!.

Ablefish
11-26-2004, 06:41 AM
So did the problems start when you added these 1300 lowrez objects? Does it render without them? What has changed? Motion blur? Have you tried without shadows... low aa? Or hiding some objects, to see if some certain piece of geometry is causing the trouble?

I can tell you one thing XSI doesn't always handle large numbers of objects very well, or efficiently. If possible, try merging your objects.

It's tough to troubleshoot a problem like this without getting into it and eliminating causes. If it started all-of-a-sudden, without any changes to the scene or render settings, then the possibility exists that something became corrupted.

You can also change the verbosity mode in the render settings - that might give you more information about where the render is going sideways.

Hope you can work it out,

TheShaddix
11-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Thanks on that one. Ill certainly be trying to fix my scene. One more thing: what does it mean when xsi says : angle between normal and geometry is more than 90 degrees ??? I totally dont get this one. It says that about 20 times when i render with FG, but w/o FG it wont say it.

Ive had this scene problem before, even when i had only 500 objects. Plus im using layers (always have) so im only rendering the car. I cant really pinpoint the exact cause of the problem, but ill be tryin.

Ablefish
11-27-2004, 12:13 AM
Sorry, I not really up on the MR errors. What I tend to do is google the phrase or do a direct search in the Softimage mailing list archive. Sometimes you'll hit on a post.

gent_k
11-27-2004, 08:53 AM
http://www.xsibase.com/netview_forum/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=12226

Look at thebigMuh's post in this thread for a detailed explanation of the error.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.