PDA

View Full Version : Hey i am Very new to XSI (1st day)

Wiz
08-27-2002, 10:51 AM
been using max for a while ,but i am sick of its crashing and file courrputions.. eerr anyways i got XSI :bounce: i am in love! that interfrance is soo great.. wow:bounce:
so i got few questions
1st off err sounds dumb but whats the diffrence between essintal and advanced?? 2nd off.. when i oepend it it opened a project folder! and thats like lotss of folders and stuff.. cant i put all my scenes in 1 folder? like without making aproject?
or now in poly mode ,i cant seem to pick 1 poly only a whole bunch how can i pick one?
ok when i render ,how can i tell hhim to let the render window opened after its done? and how can i save the render? do i set that up in the pass thing?

ok another genral question i got the manual pdf .. should i read it? cuz it seems a bit old.. the modeling techinuq is with lofts and things..... i am gonna read the interfrance part and textruing rendering for sure! cuz its very hard :)

oh one last thing! in the explorer option i went to lights ,i clicked on something and all my lights went off how do i put the back up? and one last thing.. is its deafult lighting bad like max? or can i render with it nice things? well that last question i assume is dumb but its worht asking :thumbsup:
thanks ! i really love this program.. extrude with curve is a tool i am really impressed with thats totall cool :wip:

Wiz
08-27-2002, 10:53 AM
ok new questions hehe :)
in max there button that u click and it it make the viewport show evrything in the scene ,does xsi have it? ok now how do i make the viewport real big like its only one? ok another thing i clickc SOLO on the perspctive viewport. and it it made all the others blank how do i un do it? thanks!

raffael3d
08-27-2002, 11:55 AM
the data manage that opened when you started XSI the first time is a great thing. unlike any other program it already creates the folders "scenes", "objects" etc for you.
but you always have to make a project, but you can also save it somewhere else of course, but its more intelligent to keep things organized.
to select polygons hit "u" key then simplay hold your mouse key down and "draw" on the polygons you want to select. depending in which selection mode you are you can use ALT or the middle mous button to deselect.

I really recommend the manual.

Wiz
08-27-2002, 01:34 PM
hey some more questions come up :) thanks for that reply ,i found out how to dolly/zoomin zoomot .. etc
ok i donwloaded edgetools.xsiaddon ,and i downloaded subdevide.vbs i put the vbs in ddscripts folder right? anyone got a clue how i open it? and where to i put edgetools and how do i operate it? ok another questions ,how to clone and mirror? i read lots of tutrials sorry i ask sutpid questions but no tutrials writes about thoese things.. neither the manual (well so far.)
thanks again :bounce:

EdHarriss
08-27-2002, 01:35 PM
You say that your manuals are old... Well here is an online version of the 1.5 manuals. If you are using 1.0 manuals then these will be better. http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~roys/softimage_xsi/files/docs/html/wwhelp/java/html/wwhiefs.htm

But I'd suggest downloading the Softimage experience. (It's free) You can get it here: http://www.softimage.com/Products/xsi/v2/ExperienceCD/Get_It.htm
It comes with a full set of the XSI 2.0 manuals.

Wiz
08-27-2002, 02:13 PM
no its not old.. but it says nothing about subd's etc.. its xsi 2 manual.. anyways i oredred right now from 3dbuzz there free training cd's.. hopefully thell arrive!

mr-doOo
08-27-2002, 02:47 PM
you have a lots of questions and all are basics.
i think you must have a better look
at the doc, everything is in it:
for the subd, for all the navigation and inteface stuff, how to use a script, duplicate...
everything is in it, try to type duplicate
in the doc search and you l have it.

raffael3d
08-27-2002, 02:51 PM
exactly
also search form some tutorials:
www.edharriss.com
www.joncrow.com
www.xsifiles.com
www.xsibase.com

Wiz
08-27-2002, 04:22 PM
ok forgot all thoese quesitons u guys were extrmely helpfull ,but heres a few more normal questions.. ok ,1st how do i collapse? or does the weld work as collapse too? 2nd ,how do i conect between 2 point (ie an edge in the middele) and 3rd are there Elements in meshes like in max? for exmaple i made ahand.. i wanna copy the finger and make it all the rest ,how is that done? hope u guys help me tell me this time cuz i read like 10 tturials about subd's and non of them has things about that

Atyss
08-27-2002, 05:28 PM
@@@@
,1st how do i collapse? or does the weld work as collapse too?
@@@@

Select the object and hit Freeze.

@@@@
2nd ,how do i conect between 2 point (ie an edge in the middele)
@@@@

Hold down the \ key (above Enter on your keyboard), click on the first point, then click on the second point, et voilą.

@@@@
3rd are there Elements in meshes like in max? for exmaple i made ahand.. i wanna copy the finger and make it all the rest ,how is that done?
@@@@

There are several things you can do but imho the fastest way to do that is to select manually the polygons, do Model > Create > Poly.Mesh > Extract From Polygons, then hit Freeze. You have a new object.

On the "former" object, you'll have to delete the polygons you extracted.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

Wiz
08-27-2002, 07:01 PM
ok heres my 1st model :bounce:
i just cant figure out how to multyply the fingers :) i just read atyss post i hope it works :) anyways i am in love! this program is very powerfull.. very i am way slower then in max.. but hey i have it for like 3 hours :) ok this is what i did in 1 half hour hehe long time.. but it looks nice ,sorry i cant render.. i dont really get the render yet

another question what lights are like the standart lights like in max spotlight?

btw i am still new to the whole 3d ,i am only 4 months

Wiz
08-27-2002, 07:30 PM
ok my last question
how do i atach? i know how to weld.. i mean just ataching!
thanks another things ,how can i make the model half inviisible?

man i really love this pogram
thanks aot guys :)

Gatsu
08-27-2002, 07:59 PM
use Poly Mesh> Merge or Blend...... have fun:beer:

Wiz
08-27-2002, 08:05 PM
ok i managed to merge ,but the weld doesnt to combine the 2 edges .. how do i conect it? i tryed weld.. doesnt work and i am sure the polygons inside are erased

Wiz
08-27-2002, 09:00 PM
ok :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.