View Full Version : New Showreel

vfxmatt
11-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Hi

This is my Newly Completed Showreel.
Its a calaboration of Projects Iv done for Commercials and Personal Concepts
Please Enjoy.

http://www.matoons.com/movies/Matthew_E_showreel.mov

If you want you can also visit my website.

www.matoons.com

thOrNes
11-25-2004, 10:18 AM
This is really professional showreel material, your compositings are good, your renders clean, but I think you should make some choices and get the whole thing shorter.
You apply for a visual effects artist's job, so I would strongly recomend you to cut out all of the 3D characters in your reel, I think they really harm the quality of your reel, the animation is not of convincing quality and they break the continuity of your renders. I really liked compositing breakup of the flower girl, maybe you might consider a more constant presentation of your shots. Finally I think you should also put your contact information briefly at the beginning and join a shot list to your reel (if not include it to the video) because with all these different clips you will certainly be asked which was your part in every one of it. But, like I said, good material, hope you find a job soon !!!

Cheers,
thOrNes

vfxmatt
11-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi thOrNes

Thanks for the advice.I shall definately edit out the character animation.
And attach a shot list in Txt format to the post.Once again I appreciate your comments.

jlelievre
11-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Wow! You have a lot of great stuff on there! I agree with what thOrNes mentioned about the characters. After seeing all of that great compositing work the character shots tend to lessen the quality of the reel. There are some really great shots in there though! :)

siouxfire
11-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Damn, Suethsayer. I knew you had to be good to whip up that birthday animation so fast, but this showreel is chock full of good stuff. Ironically, I guess that might be the drawback. You might want to create a showreel showing for each of your skills: compositing, modelling, characters, etc. and use each as needed. Still, it just oozes quality and at the same time, I get this positive vibe from it that you really enjoyed making that stuff. Maybe I'm pulling that out of thin air. And surprisingly, I didn't find the characters here as engaging as your crooning alien, but don't get me wrong, YOU ROCK!

vfxmatt
12-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Thanks

Ya the characters were put in as a filler untill i had time to do some more stuff.But Im going to put the recent shots of the " bday song" into the updated reel.ALong with some Visual effects shots im finishing for a music video..

As for seperating the stuff,im trying to keep the energy in the reel,i watch alot of reels and they kinda get boring and long.But i Agree that the point of a reel is to show of ones capabilitys.Maybe ill make 5 seperate reels.per criteria and have one main one .Whaddya think?

siouxfire
12-01-2004, 09:05 AM
I've seen reels where they divide them neatly into chapters. Maybe you could use the screen you use at the beginning and end to show titles? ie compositing, modelling, etc. Still, your compositing work is pretty stunning and I don't think anyone's going to get bored watching a reel with just that stuff.

vfxmatt
12-01-2004, 09:43 AM
thats not a bad idea,I think i will do that.just going to have to find time. :)
cant wait to put up one or two of the shots from this music vid im doing.

HenningK
12-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Wow. Nice and slick. i didnt get bored. Character animation is a bit weak.
-hen

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.