PDA

View Full Version : Right-Click on files/folders -> Crashes explorer

unrealwarfare
11-25-2004, 05:38 AM
Hello, all.

I've been having some problems with Windows XP with SP2 recently. Well not recently, for about 2 months now. When I boot my computer, and try to right-click on any file/folder on the desktop or in windows explorer, first error message comes up:

"Windows explorer will need to close: send error message/don't send".

I press Don't send. Next message comes up:

"Dr.Watson will need to close: send message/don't send". Don't send.

Then it freezes. The only way to get out of this is to end task explorer.exe.... or if this crash happens if I click on a file/folder on the desktop, I have to end task dr.watson. And in both cases, on the screen, the taskbar dissappears, and quickly reappears bringing it back to the normal state. But I can't right-click on anything anyway, again. Sometimes... after I awhile... for some unknown reason, I'll be able to right-click.... and it won't crash. It's weird.

And also, it never crashes if I right-click on My Computer/Recycle Bin... things like that. Also crashes if I right-click on my C drive.

I've read some things about this issue on the net... but it doesn't seem to help. I found some things on another forum that if you have Divx installed... you would need the newest one to be compatible with SP2... so I downloaded 5.21#... and it said it would fix this right-click issue, but it didn't. Also tried fiddling with registry... didn't work.

Also, this issue started happening before I installed SP2...

I am trying to think of what I could have installed that makes it crash.

If anyone experienced this problem before... especially after installing a particular program, let me know please, and if I have that program, I will remove it.

Also, I tried scanning for viruses/spyware, and it's all clean. Windows up to date. Also have Microsoft net framework 1.1... I'm having doubts about this one...

Any response is appreciated.

Regards.

unrealwarfare
11-25-2004, 10:35 PM
I should have searched for previous threads on this first.

How do I remove certain windows updates? SP2 all removed them from add/remove programs window. I remember it just listed the update there (e.g. update #k62983498 whatever)?

nafa
11-26-2004, 02:05 AM
Have you considered reinstalling Windows, or is it too much trouble?

unrealwarfare
11-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I would have done it already if it wasn't too much trouble.

unrealwarfare
11-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Bah, solved it myself. Downloaded Shexview, shell viewer, and one by one removed each entry, until it crashed. It was stupid SpySweeper. I can't believe I still have it installed.

nafa
11-27-2004, 02:27 AM
Good of you to mention the solution. Could come in handy in future for others.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.