PDA

View Full Version : WINKWINK aliens smoking chilly

DaddyMack
11-24-2004, 07:58 PM
Hello all you folk out there:D

I'm posting one of my favourite attempts at animation...Meet Wink Wink (blue) and Kink Wink (green) here's a pic.
http://www.darkspider.org/~sumdumguy/old/cellpromo.jpg

I made this short in Maya & Photoshop in 6 weeks @ the start of 2004. I penned a second (way funnier) short but haven't had time to rebuild the characters etc etc...hope to in the future. (a laugh for Maya users) they were rigged to melvins skeleton (created before gaining rigging skills). I know the animation is minimal but so were my skills...

The characters are basically a representation of all things teenage and the short was really a concept and personality test. Hope you get a laugh out of it:D

The link...Quicktime, 92 seconds, 9.5mb, Right click-save target as

winkwink_cells0204.mov (http://www.darkspider.org/~sumdumguy/old/winkwink_cells0204.mov)

***WinkWink is hosted by darkspider.org for next to nix, check them out, they're good folks with great services***

mmmm...chi i i l l llyyyy

Black_Spider
11-25-2004, 01:13 AM
Duuude, that like, so reminds me of me, man. :D

Awsome animation... I love it. When time prevails, you *gotta* rebuild them. That is way cool :D

DaddyMack
11-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi Black_Spider, thanks man, stoked you dig it. I knew that they had a target audience when their personalities started to emerge.
I actually went fairly into depth designing their friends, places and interpersonal dynamics but have left them since...:shrug:

It will be some hard yards rebirthing them but I'm pencilling it in for early(ish) next year. Like I said they're my faves:D

chewman
11-30-2004, 05:57 AM
hahhahah only an aussie would do this! smoking chilli; dude that's wack!
love yer work.

DaddyMack
12-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Hi chewman, thanks for the comment man, made me laugh first thing in the mornin.
Glad you geddit:D

bonkanailios
12-28-2004, 02:54 AM
the chewman is right, only an aussie.

either way, great work!

(edit: I could use a bit more lighting in the scene, but other than that got no crits.)

DaddyMack
01-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Heheh thanks bonkanailios (I think)

Kanga
03-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Kool!

The animation is pretty good!

You have kept this one shorter and more to the point which is a good move. A couple of things on the serious side :) .

Varying the pace is really difficult and really necessary. I catch myself on this one all the time. One tends to find a rythem and stick to it which flattens everthing out. It is really important to vary the pace and to do it in parts that strengthen the piece.

With the storyline you have touched on a subject that is really perfect for cg. Think of all the hilarious things that can happen to you when stoned and try translate that to your animation. For example my brother once told me he saw the living room sucked into the tv set,..... that sort of thing.

The initial gag is that 2 aliens are getting stoned on chili, thats obvious from the intro, right after that you need something related but more dramatic to carry the animation through. Talk about this with your hippy friends and try come up with a strong storyline as the concept is a good one.

This has come a long way from the bears, like I said the animation looks good.

Keep it up man its going in the right direction.

Today chili,.... tommorow Holywood :thumbsup:

PC-Junkie
03-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Love it. What else can i say?

DaddyMack
03-21-2005, 09:46 AM
hey thanks PC-Junkie. I't's over a year old and I still love it.

And thanks for dropping in Kanga, glad you dig it too...it is actually from before Fubears (feb04) and I dug it up because to date, it's still all round my favourite piece. Check the second thread in my sig for the next generation. There's a story that has to be made that I wrote while making the first ep. I hope to improve massively upon all aspects this time round and really appreciate any input from you folk here, and there;)
Thanks for the support guys:bowdown:

elijah'77
03-21-2005, 12:49 PM
hey dude

gud work.... nice styling...i liked it...... keep up the gud work and better...ok!!!

BANSI-animated short (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2058857#post2058857)
HULK-wip (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2058905#post2058905)

DaddyMack
03-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Thanks elijah'77 much appreciated, and same goes for all you who take the time ;)

Anyone wanna jump in on the WIP thread? that's where I'm rebirthing these guys and I'd really dig some extra eyes and brains over there...

Cheers All;)

HD_SYS
03-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Pretty funny idea the whole alien-chilly-smokin' thing - I was missing some "psychodelic halus" but I really enjoyed watching it.

stay creative...

Geoff Edwards
03-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Wow man... far out. That's wacked... Love the character's voices.

I once recorded a characters lighting a smoke for a film I was working on. I rolled some crushed dried maple leaves into a cigarette paper and lit it besid a mic. it made a nice crackling sound as it lit. It was a nice touch. It's on my web site.

Nice work.

DaddyMack
03-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks HD_SYS, halus further in the series, mushrooms me thinks... glad you dug it:)

Cheers Geoff Edwards, did the voices myself 'course, years of nuttiness finally finding a purpose...BTW nice website...interesting

Currently doing primary rigging for revision3 :D

doms
04-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Its interesting that among all the modellers, animators, riggers, texture artists etc that post work here, there are very few actual entertainers. I suppose thats a different department of the 1000 strong workforce of Mega Anim Production Corp that every one seems to dream of working at.

Remember that long after all the 3D production stuff has been outsourced to China, it will be ideas people that still remain.

Good stuff, keep it up, and most important- keep in touch with your audience.

Kanga
04-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Its interesting that among all the modellers, animators, riggers, texture artists etc that post work here, there are very few actual entertainers. I suppose thats a different department of the 1000 strong workforce of Mega Anim Production Corp that every one seems to dream of working at.

Remember that long after all the 3D production stuff has been outsourced to China, it will be ideas people that still remain.

Correct!
Actually you not only have to make top quality stuff but also hit that nerve of universal communication.

Everything sent to China,...... I doubt it!

DaddyMack
04-12-2005, 10:52 AM

You touched my heart doms, really, thanks for your comments and advice. It's really really warming my old hearth... I guess it's just nice to be seen the way I'm trying to see myself, and by a complete stranger who just saw one of my bits...Thanks again man, people like you are one of the many reasons I'll be doing this till I'm 6foot under:bowdown:

and Kanga, it's not as crazy as it sounds... chinese labour and outsourcing... It's just business man. Still searching for that nerve too my friend, I can sense it more now than ever...

May the force be with you both:wise:

sebastienc
04-12-2005, 11:25 AM
the rendering, texturing, animation and lighting are bad
sorry and check my work; http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=226927 and tell me what do you think about it.
sorry for my bad english :)

DaddyMack
04-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Hi c.bastien, sorry to have disappointed you so much:rolleyes:... Good luck with your own projects

Kanga
04-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Hi c.bastien, sorry to have disappointed you so much:rolleyes:... Good luck with your own projects
Good reply to such a post :thumbsup:

sebastienc
04-13-2005, 07:29 PM
thanks a lot Kanga!

DaddyMack
04-13-2005, 07:55 PM
thanks a lot Kanga!

:curious: lol

Are you guys hijacking my thread:rolleyes: ?

Hey c.bastien, since you've returned I'd really appreciate it if you could explain further what particularly displeased you so about WINKWINK...I'd love to know so I can improve further...

sebastienc
04-14-2005, 12:25 PM
you dont have a good lightning we can't say from were is the light and you have no shadow.
but your short is really fun! good job i like the lipsinc.

DerangedOn3
04-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Hmmmm.. . .

First I would like to say, I am no expert. I very much aspire to be, however, at the point I can not say that I am. With that said, I do not think myself unable to effectively crit a piece of work. I would like to crit yours. It seems that on almost all art forums there is a lack of real crits (bugs the hell out of me because that is the precise reason I join, to get and give crits; effective, thoughtful crits. But, I'm not gonna rant. ;)), not to say that no one at all crits here.

On with the crit:

I am a bit blunt but I am not meaning anything personally. I like the concept. . .aside from the chili thing. . . unless that’s just some inside joke. Anyways, the over all piece had decent direction. . . in the way of point A to point B. I am going to agree with what Sebastian (though with a bit more tact) in that while the work on the piece over all is good, it is definitely substandard. The textures of the environment have any richness to them. Even though the piece is CG and totally fictional, you can still afford the work a bit of realism to make it that much more believable. Since I mentioned the environment, let’s talk about that for a sec. It’s quite thrown together. While the characters are "chili" heads, the piece might look a bit more refined if you had a sense of continuity tot he interior design even if the "pad" needs to look recklessly decorated.

The lighting isn’t bad but there are, character issues with the lighting. Now, I’m not a chili head myself but I know a few. I don’t now any that sit on a couch and play video games in a fully lit room. I think you could convey the "chill" of the two characters even more with dim lighting. It would be fantastic to see the light from the TV playing off the scene and adding to the scenes overall lighting.

The camera movements. I think that the Camera movements are what bothered me the most in this piece. The cameras really lack direction, direction in the way of cinematography. The camera work comes off as illogical and confused (and if that were done intentionally, correctly, I think you may have been able to add to the . . . chili induced state of the scene and the characters. Coupled with the camera movements, there was a lack of composition. There are some rules to follow there, particularly, the rule of thirds. It looked like you did that here and there but not throughout the whole of the piece. Every good director (my opinion) follows that rule either exactly or in variation they have found works and remain visually appealing.

The Animation: The animation is fairly decent. I do not know how long you have been doing it so I cannot judge that too harshly. I will say that there are some fundamentals being ignored. Watch your arcs. . Looks like you have some but they aren’t very strong. . Make the arcs more dominant. When the one alien jumps over the couch. . His momentum should have carried him right into the other guy. The path of that alien has him starting to ark into the final position on the couch but right at the climax of that arc, he translates straight down. You might try changing where he jumps from (have him jump earlier that way he will land further from his friend). Also, try having the one that jumps over the couch lurch forward a big when he lands and then kind of spring back into frame and smack his buddy on the arm. You might also try registering some noticeable reaction (chili head or no, you want believability) from his friend as he comes from nowhere landing next to him.
Give these guys a little more life. Incorp. a bit more anticipations and exagg to the characters. Have them interact a bit more with their environment, have the couch react to their presence (indentation and what not where they are sitting). Also, I noticed they hold the J a little strange. . I know it’s big but try to make it look a bit more natural (them holding it).

I did read your initial comments and I also looked at the revision of the character and texture of the character. It is quite obvious you are improving and have improved at least on the modeling and texturing side of things, beyond where you were when you completed this piece. The revision is most impressive. I didn’t really get a laugh out of it but I did see some potentials. How about something like this. They are both stoners and lazy. instead of the guy dropping it on the floor he drops it on his buddy’s leg. it site there, burning him, they both look at it, say something about it as a matter of factly, then resume smoking it. Maybe even have the one it’s burning slightly twitch his eye which indicates he knows it burns and also says he is too lazy to get mad or even move it.

I hope I wasn’t overly critical, Id just like to see your work reach the potential of the concept.

I will post works soon. Feel free to rip me apart. I like to see my work from many perspectives. Especially from the guys and gals hanging out around here.

Patrick.:thumbsup:

DaddyMack
04-14-2005, 09:05 PM
you dont have a good lightning we can't say from were is the light and you have no shadow.

I totally agree, it was never meant to be a technical piec, just some good old fashioned fun entertainment...They will return upgraded soon...

DaddyMack
04-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi DerangedOn3, Whoah man what a huge first post! Thanks a bundle for going into depth here mate...I'd like to add though that, since learning a few more fundamentals (self teaching), I kinda got the jist of most of the weaknesses of this piece...I did it without storyboards, or any real direction, I just kinda ad libbed it and i think it shows...When lighting, i wasn't after a 'feel', I just wanted to be able to see what was going on etc etc etc...I just haphazardly fumbled my way to the finish line..I'm way past being fragile about my work man, and I really like it when people take the time to communicate to me about it, whatever their impression ...WinkWink wasn't created to any particular standard to fall short of...so absolutely no harm done man. Thanks:thumbsup: for communicating your constructive thoughts so clearly and concisely;) I saved all your suggestions to my wink folder, and I look forward to playing with you here on CGtalk

The only thing that stung in your crit was " I didnít really get a laugh out of it"...Damn dude, it's at least a bit funny...that's all it was ever meant to be...Anyways...WinkWink was rushed the first time 'round and with all else I got going on there's no way I can rush it this time so hopefully I'll take time to fill in some more of the holes as I go along...

New stories, new scenes, new everything but same dense mentality...

Thanks for spending some of your time on me, it is greatly appreciated:thumbsup:

DerangedOn3
04-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Kool and no problem for taking the time. I feel not enough people do that on these forums. I also feel that by my taking the time to go so in depth, it will make me approach my work with new spins on my own perspective, things I may not have thought of before citting someones work.

As for it not being that funny to me. IM a sarcastic kinda guy and like witty, sarcastic humor.

Ithink a few things could be done "story" wise to improve that in your piece. Also, i got the feeling that this piece was all freehanded approach. With proper planning you will absolutely have a solid piece. You can contact me directly if you wanna ever talk more in depth or collab on any pieces.

patrick

DaddyMack
04-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Cheers :beer: I'll keep that in mind Patrick
Catch you on the flipside;)

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2005, 08:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.