PDA

View Full Version : FAQ

RobertoOrtiz
11-24-2004, 01:48 PM
This is a GREAT FAQ by Megan Smiley

Common Acronyms and Abbreviations:
How do I join the DSF?
How do I post an image?
Iím new to CGTalk. Why isnít my post showing right away?
Can I use any medium?
Iím a complete novice! Is that okay?
Whatís up with the time limits?
Iím so busy! Can I sketch only once in a while?
How do I know which threads are active?
What kind of threads are in the DSF?
How do I find sketches from the old topics?
How do I vote for my favorite?
Is there a lot of competition?

DSF - Daily Sketch Forum
NTL - No Time Limit
SOTW - Sketch of the Week

How do I join the DSF?
There isn't a member list and there isn't a secret password or handshake. To join, simply login and post your topic sketch. It's that simple. And, it can be very effective.

How do I post an image?
Posting your images is remarkably easy:

First, upload your image to an image-hosting site such as imageshack or photobucket.

Copy the link to that image.

Register and login as a CGTalk Member if you haven't already.

Click on the DSF thread you wish to post your sketch.

Click POST REPLY. This button is found at the top and bottom of the thread.

Activate the message area by clicking in it (the image will appear where your cursor is flashing).

Click the icon that looks like a little yellow postcard or envelope. That should open a scripted window.

Paste the link to your image into the highlighted section reading "null." Your image will then appear in your post.

*If the scripted window does not open and you get a warning at the top of your browser about scripted windows, R-Click on the bar and select ďTemporarily Allow Scripted Windows.Ē Click the yellow postcard again to launch the window.

Brand new users have a two-post review process to go through. Itís painless and if your posts are validated, you shouldnít experience any delay in your later posts. Just remember, courtesy and respect is expected in this forum - just like any other on CGTalk. That does not mean you must pretend to love every piece presented. It merely means that you must behave politely when providing a critique on the strengths and weaknesses of a piece. As the reply rules say, ďEngage your brain before your mouth.Ē

Can I use any medium?
The DSF is unconcerned what you medium you use as long as the sketch doesn't plagiarize another's work (unless specified otherwise: e.g. Self-Portrait as a South Park Character). We like to know what was used to sate our curiosity but feel free to use any program or any traditional method.

This is forum for all levels of people. Moreover, thatís not just inclusive and shallow advertising. It's the truth. Anyone that has felt nervous about posting because they feel unqualified, your concerns are heard. We've been there. For many of us, our first posts had us shaking in our chairs. But, the DSF is unique. Insults, harassment, and rude comments are completely unacceptable and the forum leaders do a fine job of enforcing that policy. That's not to say everyone will praise your work. There will be critiques and some will be blunter than others will, but no one intends to crush your art - they just want to help you build it. If your new, nervous, and/or want a critique, say so! This forum actually behaves like a polite and helpful community. Have you posted a sketch but didnít get the critique and help you wanted? That's a shame. Most of us try but we're busy too. The last thing we want is for you to feel like our silence is social pressure to make you leave. Just remember to be polite and if you keep on drawing, someone will come around soon enough.

The time limits have confused people for a while now. It is mostly established that the time limit is set for the actual production of the piece. Most people don't include reference hunting and while thumbnails are bit of a murkier aspect, no one's really going to begrudge using ten extra minutes to find a decent composition. However, it can be useful as a growing experience to count the thumb nailing as part of your production time. The enforcement of time limits regarding voting is flexible. No one will discount your entry for five or ten minutes. Some are even flexible up to fifteen or twenty minutes. The DSF is undergoing some new changes that may change this, but that will come when our forum leader says so. Finally the present suspicion: who's being honest about their time? The DSF works on an honor system and sometimes you see a piece and you have to wonder. However, I would like to hope that most of the community makes a concentrated effort to be honest in their behavior. This is how we grow, by being honest with each other about our skills and critiques.

The DSF doesnít require a commitment and is respectful of our busy lives. You can sketch once and not return for a year. You can sketch every topic. It doesn't matter. Come, go, and grow as you please. Just remember to keep your sketches somehow relevant.

*If you're looking to post your personal sketches that arenít related to the topics, visit CGTalk > General Techniques > Artistic Anatomy and Figurative Art Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200). Here you can develop a sketchbook thread to post your sketches. Some sketchbooks are also posted in the WIP/2D section.

The newest DSF topic is posted at the top of the thread, just below the sticky threads. It is also identifiable by the increasing numbers in the threadís title. Topic threads are open and active until the Category Vote Thread for those topics has been posted. The time period between the initial post of the topic until the voting generally lasts 7 days (five to be safe), some even later but that is not very common. Most thread activity stalls by the fifth day unless they are unusually popular threads. Once the Category Vote Thread [Officially known as Sketch of the Week: Tell Us What Your Favorite is for the Week! Cat (#-#)] for a range of topics most activity ceases in those topics. While that does not mean that thread is officially closed, any entry added after that isn't likely to receive much attention as most people have moved onto the newer threads.

Variety is the spice of life. To add to that variety, all sketchers are encouraged to post topic ideas to the Topic Suggestions Thread (it's one of the sticky threads). Our forum leader Roberto Ortiz also jazzes up the DSF by adding special threads. There are a few types of threads:

Topic Threads: These threads make up the bulk of the DSF. They feature a topic, a time limit, and follow the normal guidelines. These guidelines are posted at the top of every sketch thread.

Sketch of the Week: Tell Us... Threads: These threads are where sketchers post their votes for the specified categories.

Concept Art Threads: These threads encourage sketches of a particular style or subject as a way to provide concept art for other challenges such as VFX Challenges and 3D Modeling Challenges.

Experimental Threads: Just as the title says, Mr. Ortiz has placed a unique challenge on the topic. The most recent of these was a thread called "The Hero." That threads particular challenge involved color restrictions on the entries. This is but one example.

Hyper-Review Threads: These lesser-seen threads were particularly helpful threads. This thread requests that everyone who posts provide a critique a previous poster. The exchange of helpful advice is very useful so don't shy away from these rarely seen threads.

Most of the old sketch threads can be found in the Sketch of the Week Gallery. Here, Mr. Ortiz has composed links to all the Sketch of the Week threads. Inside those threads are links to the mentioned categories. For example:

Sketch of the Week Gallery > THE SKETCH OF THE WEEK: Tell us what is your favorite sketches from Cat (978-984) > CGTalk Daily Sketch 984

You can also search for a category number in the search box at the bottom of the DSF.

Participating in the voting process is easy too. Select the thread beginning with "THE SKETCH OF THE WEEK: Tell us what is your favorite sketches from Cat (#-#).Ē The numbers that follow "Cat" indicate the different topics to vote for the week. Then post your reply with your votes. You might notice that some people don't vote for all the topics but rather leave one or two certain topics with "NO VOTE." This response hasn't had much resistance so if you don't feel comfortable voting for in a topic you've participated in or simply didn't enjoy any of the sketches, this is a viable option provided it is used sparingly. Finally, you don't need to be a participant to vote for the SOTW.

If the thought of voting creates too much competition for you, you're not the only one. Many people were worried about that once. After a few posts, most conclude that weíre all here for the fun. Is it nice to be nominated? Sure it is. Yet, no one's really here to win. That's what the major challenges are for. This forum exists to practice, play, and encourage. Thus, you can use the voting process as a way to push yourself or you can ignore it entirely because no one is going to think less of you regardless.

Thanks again to Megan Smiley for her hard work!

LEGACY POST:

I am trying to compile a FAQ for the Daily Sketch Group.

I am specially interested in hearing from those interested in participating in
the daily sketch group and have not done so for one reason or another.

And if you have not heard of us just click
>>Here<< (http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130) and check us out.

Thanks

-Roberto (Daily Sketch Group Mod)

PS I'll unstick this thread later today.

-Vormav-
11-25-2004, 07:50 PM
I'm actually hoping to start forcing myself to take part in the daily sketch group at least every other day. I can probably manage to do that, provided that I manage to get used to it. I'd definitely like to at least be competent with digital painting.
I'm really not very good though. I actually just tried using my Graphire3 for sketching for the first time no more than half an hour ago (and I never really tried it with a mouse). Beyond that, all I've ever used it for is an attempt at face skinning (which didn't turn out TOO bad), and random experimenting. So unless you all want some complete crap in there (maybe to help boost your egos? :p ), I won't be posting anything for awhile.

erpel
11-25-2004, 07:54 PM
I am lurking there allways when I get my Wacom for Christmass and get the hang of it I think I ll try to participate!

JARhead
12-01-2004, 04:43 PM
well the real reason I havent done jack in the sketch group is because Im dumb. Ive been thinking you could only submit your sketches between 9-12 in the morning. Now I just realized that thats when you post the subject for the day. Im a doorknob I know.

El Toro
12-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Lol!

Anyway, I found out about the sketchgroup only a few days ago because someone told me. I'm interested in participating (SP?) in it, but at the moment I really suck at drawing and I don't want to make a fool of myself at this stage. :bounce:
And the time is maybe also a problem for me at this moment. The new idea is posted at 4 o'clock in the afternoon my time, or something like that, so I don't have much time to complete a sketch (homework etc.). And I also don't have that much spare time so time is the most important issue for me. Maybe the weekends would be good for me. I'll see in the future what I'll do.

JTD
12-03-2004, 06:56 PM
You know, it doesnít specifically state that you canít submit something to any of the daily sketch topics at any given time. It was suggested that there be a time limit of one day when the forum first opened but I think someone now might view that as a time limit for posting the topic and not necessarily for submissions to that topic. Did that make sense?

Therefore someone might post a piece today in the 147 - New Monsters topic. I would assume that we are trying to keep this linear so as to avoid confusion. Maybe you should include in the FAQ that submissions are no longer accepted after a certain time. I canít think of anything else but I donít participate for the lack of time. Iím still struggling with my Grand Space Opera challenge. But I do enjoy the group and follow you guys almost everyday. The Avatar Wars are classic and the talent is phenomenal.

stupidkiwi
12-12-2004, 09:41 AM
I am pretty new here, and I have been looking at the possibility of joining the sketch group, though sometimes I just don't have the time to put aside.

My concerns are twofold. I find it hard to figure which is the current topic. It needs to be forced to the top with an "Open for Posting" button. There needs to be enough time for people around the world to participate. My final concern is possibly the one that annoys me the most. I am not a fan of the time taken necessity. I have worked in studios enough to know how long some of the best artists in the world take to create artwork. Some of the times taken seem a little exaggerated to me. Others seem right on the dot for how long a professional should take. If I join, I like most will have the option of telling the truth as to how long it took to create, or to lie about the time took. This would not be an issue unless some are making their decisions as to their favourite image of the week depending on the time it took to create. I also believe that if everyone was honest it would be a great thing for newer artists to know how long images took to create. Though if there is any dishonesty it sets up an impossible target to reach for newer artists who then believe they are not good enough unless they produce a Monet in 10 minutes or less.

Andyman
12-19-2004, 05:40 AM
I just wanted to add some encouragment in here to people who want to participate, but feel they aren't "good" enough. You don't have to be afraid - honest! Sure maybe there's people better than you, but there's somebody better than them somewhere too; the Daily Sketch Group is what it's name says - a sketch group. It's not the 'CGNetworks Award Gallery" or anything. It's a good place to practice; to try to put those pictures in your head onto a blank space. You only get better with practice. Several people there I've actually been able to see their sketches get better over time because of the regular doodling they've been doing for the sketch group.

Don't be afraid of being looked down on or made fun of. I've been participating and watching the group since sketch #1, and I don't remember ever seeing anyone receive a comment that was rude and unkind. Once in awhile I've seen a constructive criticism, but not given in a rude manner.

We'd like to have anyone who is willing to participate, so join us...

...you know you want to. ^_^

pangmans
01-02-2005, 03:51 AM
Hey, I am new to cg-talk all together... I am amazed at the art on this site.. it set my ego back a few light-years. so I am wondering what is the prerequisite to the sketch forum, and daily/weekly sketch submissions? does it have to be digital,and if so can you use any other programs, or should it just be a flat out sketch from a paint prog.?

i would love to participate.
thanks,
cryptic ghost.

Stillwell
01-02-2005, 04:52 AM
Hey, I am new to cg-talk all together... I am amazed at the art on this site.. it set my ego back a few light-years. so I am wondering what is the prerequisite to the sketch forum, and daily/weekly sketch submissions? does it have to be digital,and if so can you use any other programs, or should it just be a flat out sketch from a paint prog.?

i would love to participate.
thanks,
cryptic ghost. It can be drawn on paper with traditional media then scanned, or it could be done with the wacom/mouse, whichever fits you best. Any programs will do the trick (Photoshop, Painter, even MSPaint, etc.) The rules for the entries are always posted by Roberto following the thread topic (max width/height, etc.)

There is no prerequisite, you could submit only one entry and then stop doing the daily sketches and you won't be struck by the lightning for it.

Don't worry about the ego taking a hit, we've all been there :D You'll get over it soon enough, you have to. Shame will be replaced by your desire to do better and prove yourself. Ego isn't a bad thing per se you know!

Oh, and since this is your first post, welcome to CGTalk :)

RobertoOrtiz
01-02-2005, 12:35 PM
What he said....
:)

-R

SUB7NYC
01-04-2005, 12:09 AM
I can't wait to participate. Only 8 more posts till i reach 30

Yngve
01-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Hi I just got a wacom and I want to join daily sketch but when I tried to post a pic I couldnt... what am I doing wrong? Do I have to reach some kind of limit in number of posts or anything?/\

jeffthomann
01-24-2005, 09:01 PM
I have always found myself doing other stuff... guess it's mainly laziness... Maybe I'll start posting more...

EchoSierra
02-24-2005, 04:46 PM
I was looking at colleges and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about UAT

Kyena
03-03-2005, 01:47 PM
I have been planning on joining the daily sketch group since some time now.
There were two points that kept me from doing so just yet:

a) I am working 100% and hardly find the time to work on my "normal" paintings. This will change at the start of the next month though and I will have 100% time to paint (omg YAY!!!)

b) I am pretty hesitant to post art in general (even if it might not look like it) and a I am a crappy sketcher/speedpainter all together..

However it IS the best practice one can possible get I guess..so..I might still give it a go anytime soon..

MetasynMan
03-18-2005, 05:59 PM
So, can you submit sketches for previous days? It seems like the days I have time to try out my new Wacom are the days when the subjects don't peak my interest. I'm definitely going to give this a shot, though. I do graphic design for a living, but it's been ages since I just drew/painted for my own purposes. And I just got my new toy the other day, so I need to start practicing with it.

digitalkarma
03-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Hi all, I am new to cgtalk and besides being blown away by the art work here, I am felling very unworthy to be part of this forum. still everyone seems courteous. so I would like to join the sketch group to get some practice in. I am a bit lost to how things work. How can I join and where do I post the sketch?

SpeccySteve
03-21-2005, 12:16 PM
I would like to join the sketch group to get some practice in. I am a bit lost to how things work. How can I join and where do I post the sketch?

You head on over to the sketchgroup sub forum in the "W.i.p. 2D" section which lives here..
http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130

Then you do some doodles loosely based around whatever the topic is and post them in the thread.

If you don't have a website to upload your sketches you can use a free host like imageshack
http://imageshack.us/

-Steve

djtrousdale
04-19-2005, 11:08 PM
So... there's no memberlist or anything? You just post what you can whip up and you're considered "in" the daily sketch group?

I really enjoy it. It's a great idea, and I hope you don't mind me stealing it for a different art forum I go to... (sig)

RobertoOrtiz
04-20-2005, 04:37 AM
Hexaditidom I will hunt you down like a dog...!

Oh sorry I meant, No problem!

-R

Gamoron
04-20-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm with stupidkiwi on not being sure what topic is open. When I come to CGTalk I look for information fast. I've found that the Daily Sketch is not something that I could easily dive into without browsing it at length first. I'm just being lazy I guess.

Supervlieg
04-26-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm with stupidkiwi on not being sure what topic is open. When I come to CGTalk I look for information fast. I've found that the Daily Sketch is not something that I could easily dive into without browsing it at length first. I'm just being lazy I guess.

The section is a bit swamped by other threads, so it might not be the easy to figure out where to start.

The easiest way to spot the "open" thread is to look for something called CgTalk Daily Sketch XXX ... where XXX is the highest number. This is the most recent thread, and posting there that day will get you the most feedback. You can also choose to do those from a few days back, since no topic is every really closed. But if it's feedback you're looking for, join in on the most recent one.

Rani
05-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Well, like some said before me, the problem is that I'm not very good at drawing. Not only that I barely have drawing skills, I completely lack any painting skills.

While it may be called 'sketch group' I find the images in it extremely high quality and not sketchy at all, also most of them include painting (also in a very high quality IMO).
I just can't make anything which seem to fit the group's standarts (yet).

However, the DSG did help me alot to improve my drawing skills and was also was one of the main catalysts for me to start developing any drawing skills in the first place (a month ago I couldn't draw anything, today I draw things I never thought I'll be able to).

For now I'll stick with practicing my drawing skills until I'll think I'm good enough to join, until then I'll participate by watching and voting for other peoples' work (while trying to learn from them).

Sunbane
05-19-2005, 01:37 PM
I've been on the verge of joining a few times, but there have been a few reasons that made me not do it:

Firstly, I sketch a lot in my sketch book, and I can't be bothered to scan everything in; Yes - pure laziness. And my Wacom sketching abilities aren't anywhere near what I can do with pen and paper, so that is a big part of it.

Secondly:

I find it hard to figure which is the current topic.

I agree, and let me add how that particular subforum comes across as very unorganised and confusing in general. There is no stickied thread with rules or anything (at one point I was looking all over cgtalk for one), and that may also give you the feeling there's this "secretly initiated clique" in there. It is one of the reasons I never bothered with it.

(to be fair though, I'm missing rules for other CGT forums as well...)

If you don't want to lock threads, I'd suggest that the threads be sorted in chronological order, like in the "finished art" forums. That would enable people to keep entering sketches for old threads without messing things up.

Thirdly; I'm split over the fact that the daily sketches are contenders for frontpage material. That immediately makes it a contest, and while it may scare away "junk posters", it probably scares away a lot of serious aspiring artists as well. It also makes it tempting for participants to dress up the "time completed" figures for things they really worked all night on. It would just feel like unhealthy competition, and that is sort of unfit for a daily sketch forum, IMO. I'm convinced there are more people than myself that would feel the pressure to "create amazing art" every time, and be scared away for that reason.

EDIT: This is speaking volumes in regards to this:
While it may be called 'sketch group' I find the images in it extremely high quality and not sketchy at all, also most of them include painting (also in a very high quality IMO). I just can't make anything which seem to fit the group's standarts (yet).

A stickied "Rules and FAQ" thread would probably help a lot in steering more people into the daily sketch group. That is my opinion at least.

AdrielaSakamoto
05-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Well, I kept seeing the "join us in the Daily Sketch Forum" so thought.. hey, that sounds like good practice, because my sketching skills are not the greatest. I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable throwing up crappy sketches in a forum that someone said "competes for front page" quality. Hey. maybe we could start a "crappy but I'm learning to sketch" forum..;)

virgo1
05-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Hi Everyone, I am interested & curious in the sketch groups but I need a mentor or guide. I'm new,new,new....to computers,the web,etc. This is the first fourm I've joined and I want to learn. What do I do and where do I go? Is a dail up connection good enough?:curious:

I've been a member for a month and am still somewhat unsure of myself. Would my warm up doodles on the tablet qualify as a sketch? I do lack confidence but that's probably because I'm a beginner.:blush:

I'm serious about learning and want to have fun learning at the same time. This is the place.:thumbsup:

I still have to learn how to upload stuff and....:shrug: Onward.

SoniaNotRed
05-29-2005, 04:45 PM
There's seems to be a lot of people here worried about competition... :curious:

I've joined the DSG in January and drop by almost everyday and I don't think we're competing for anything (at least 98% of us aren't :D ). If you check the daily threads, you'll see a few incredible pics but mostly you'll see a lot of doodles - drawn or painted - just for exercise or just the fun of it.

Most of the "competition", I think, is about who comes up with the wackiest idea!

I usually post some really crappy sketches and I'm still around. :)

stepington
05-29-2005, 04:56 PM
I concur with Sonia - the one who is not red. Once a week I try to at least do smoething time consuming for DSG- but usually they're just silly doodles that I do for laughs. The whole point of the thing is just to have fun and appeal to your inner kindergartner.

MatthewRodgers
05-29-2005, 05:18 PM
heyheyhey.
ive posted in the dsg a few times but cant seem to stick at it. i even tried to start doing a self portrait everyday but a tight hand in for university broke the habit a week ago and i havnt done one since. too disorganised and unmotivated i guess.
also the whole issue of competition is weird. i would sometimes roll in and see an awesome sketch that was gonna be a contender for sketch of the week and not bother posting because of it. Tho i realise the whole point of the dsg, and see some of the 8minte sketches that prove the happy go lucky attitude of all the forum members i guess i lacked the confidence to be putting my work out there. I wanted someone to comment on my work and when they didnt after a few times attempting i wasnt sure what that meant so started aiming for votes.
I know its silly! problem was my head not the dsg setup.

my confidence has been boosted recently by pulling out some PHYSICAL ACRYLICS >gasp< so i might be back soon. hopefully.
but i think DSG is an AWESOME thing. :applause:
i love that it gets front page recognition and i commend roberto and all those involved who manage to keep at it so consistently.
yah you guys :thumbsup:
and see you soon :D

and remember everyone - its not about competing, its about turning up at the page and creating.

Swizzle
05-29-2005, 06:46 PM
Cavematty, don't worry about how some of the people around here do full-fledged digital paintings with insane amounts of detail instead of a quick little doodle. (you know who you are!) You do whatever you want. The real point of the DSG is to improve peoples' skills by having them do a sketch (or many sketches) a day, it's not just about competition or getting the best one in.

The reason I started coming here is that I've not really done any drawings or sketches in around three years and I want to get back in the habit, so this is a really good way to do it. I also get to do fun stuff like this! (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/xkostolny/5minutes.jpg) :D
(http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/xkostolny/5minutes.jpg)

SpeccySteve
05-29-2005, 08:12 PM
I agree with Sonia, Stepington and Swizzlestick, DSG is fun and a bit of practice that's all, no one cares if you post a 10 minute doodle that you drew on the back of a fag packet, a 9 hour Painter masterpiece or anything in between..
Yes there are some posters who can knock out a fully rendered painting in the time it takes me to draw a stickman but that's not really the point, for me the idea is to doodle, try out ideas and (hopefully) inprove.

I wouldn't worry too much about competition, it's not like you can win a renderfarm or anything.:)

-Steve

MatthewRodgers
05-30-2005, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about competition, it's not like you can win a renderfarm or anything.

lol. true true :thumbsup:

default-rol
06-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Yo people,

Just found this thread this morning, (insomniac dazed trundelling through CG Networks.)

I'm really up for this as it is something I try to do on my own every day, but to think of a new topic and then actually do it is getting a bit much for the hour or two that I can spare.....

I just read through this thread and only have 1 question that someone asked, but no-one seemed to answer -

How do you actualy post on this site?

I've never done it......yet.

Do I have to have a reply rating or something before i can post? If so I will burn through stuff today commenting on EVERYTHING until I get to the limit I need.....

LadyMedusa
06-06-2005, 07:05 AM
You just posted. If you mean posting images then you press the http://www.cgtalk.com/images/editor/insertimage.gif button and type/paste the url to the image (that you will have to have hosted on the internet)

You don't need a reply rating.

SINISTERMISHRA
06-06-2005, 12:30 PM
I would love to partake in the sketch of the week. But I seem to have trouble navigating through the treads to find the current topic, please post the method of finding the current topic. I feel the forum will be very good for all of us. But its hard to find it. Maybe I missed the thread somewhere, but please clearify this for me thanks!

Squibbit
06-06-2005, 12:40 PM
I'll cut & paste this from a mail I sent to dunkelgold ,
I hope it's as understandable to you as it was for her

Yea, I found it way confusing at first , too. I think many
people do, but it's actually quite an easy system, I'll explain:

Every day a new topic thread is posted by Roberto Ortiz (member.php?u=5324) on
the forum (forumdisplay.php?f=130). The topic is named and numbered, for example:
CgTalk Daily Sketch 352 "pocket sized monster"

People do their sketches during the week , based on the
topic, each sketch taking anywhere from a second to many
hours to do, whatever you feel like, but usually half an hour
to three hours.

Then after one week , 7 topics, people get to vote their
favourites for each of the last weeks threads and those who
get the most votes are mentioned in the voting thread as
winners of each day. In addition the sketch of the week is
announced, as well as the 'level upper' which is a person
whose skills have seemingly improved in the eyes of the
fellow daily sketchers.

so again: a topic appears each day and you can take part
in it any time of the week to get in the voting, some people
even reply to older threads, as the forum is really based on fun
and learning

any part u still don't understand just ask

SINISTERMISHRA
06-06-2005, 10:47 PM
thank you for all your help i understand now how the sketch of the week works! and two last questions! when I see the sketch of the week image on the banner, I click on it and enter the forum? And how will I know what is the current topic. It sounds like fun and I would love to improve my skills I'm rather new to computer graphics. but anyways thanks for your answers.

.:ZRDwD:.
06-07-2005, 12:10 AM
SINISTERMISHRA:

The section is a bit swamped by other threads, so it might not be the easy to figure out where to start.

The easiest way to spot the "open" thread is to look for something called CgTalk Daily Sketch XXX ... where XXX is the highest number. This is the most recent thread, and posting there that day will get you the most feedback. You can also choose to do those from a few days back, since no topic is every really closed. But if it's feedback you're looking for, join in on the most recent one.
And the link to the forum is: http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130

I've been intensely busy: work, website, personal forum, car accident, portfolio..... but after seeing this on top of the DSF for the first time and reading it thorougly, I can agree with the "pessimists" and those that back up what the forum represents. Because of these pros and cons thrown out in front of me (like my own inner thoughts being typed by others), I feel more comfortable in posting (somewhat) my etch-a-sketchs.

I had thoughts such as StupidKiwi, but Sonia (the unred one :D ) mentioned "I usually post some really crappy sketches and I'm still around". For some odd reason, I felt proud. Maybe because she worded the "underdog speech" that fit my mood. Who knows....

Besides using the excuse of being suicidally busy, I've also wanted a reach-out for comments/critique, which I don't really receive (two so far). I take it as no one has an opinion on what I do or it just sucks. That sinks me. I get so much criticism and ... what's the word.... "praise?"... in-person than I do on any online forum, it makes me wonder if it's true what people in-person tell me. I guess I wish to get the attention of fellow creators. But, in the past, two of my entries actually got a vote each. One person, each sketch, months apart. Something as little as that made me proud. They never commented on the pieces, but I'll be damned that my heart didn't grow three sizes those days!

I just wish I can find the stones like Sonia has, to say "screw how mine looks and what others think... I just want to get used to this and have fun" (not an exact quote, but you catch my drift). My stones tell me, "well looky there... yours looks like crap... why bother wasting bandwidth? keep it in the drawer, fool" (my stones don't actually talk... they whisper). :rolleyes:

Oh well... what do I know? I just enjoy looking and laughing (come on, there's some hilarious comedians here!).

SINISTERMISHRA
06-10-2005, 02:13 PM
I can understand your feelings but don't let things like that bring you down. We are all here to learn. And most people are at different levels. So keep moving on! Thanks for all your help on the topic to you and squib!

katalyzt
07-07-2005, 04:06 PM
I just got my Wacom today (YAY YAY :love:) I'm going to jump right in and join the daily sketch group so I can get used to using it and to devlope my style a bit more. Awsome forum idea :thumbsup:

aviator88
07-12-2005, 02:57 AM
Hi, my name is Steve and im a student.

As i drew more and more with pen and paper, i became interested in CG.

I want to do something like 3d with maya but people i know suggest me with continueing with my drawing for now. Therefore I would like to participate in this daily drawing but Im very bad at it so i problery wont post everyday.

I just have some questions to you all. Since I dont have scanner, i would like to buy something like tablet from wacom and sketching/drawing/painting software for PC.

Can you guys suggest me with the tablet and software for me to draw on my computer just as easy as on paper with my pen?

I'v been wathing this forum for while and I see alot of great sketches/drawings on here.

I thought maybe it was time for me to join the fun as well.

Any comment/answers will be very helpful.

Thank you all.

Steve.

Elsie
07-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Hi there, I've heard people mention the DSG a few times, but this is the first time I've properly checked it out, and it sounds like real fun, aswell as a great learning experience ^_^

Just the one question...do I have to "join", i.e. e-mail the leader or something, or do I just start posting?

Thany
07-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Hi there, I've heard people mention the DSG a few times, but this is the first time I've properly checked it out, and it sounds like real fun, aswell as a great learning experience ^_^

Just the one question...do I have to "join", i.e. e-mail the leader or something, or do I just start posting?

Just start posting. Hope to see your sketches!

hologlyphic
07-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Hi. Where can I find the older daily sketches? sketches from 2004, for example. Is there a way, other than using the search box, to find the older threads?

RobertoOrtiz
07-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Try this...

Do a search for:
CgTalk Daily Sketch xxx

and just enter the number of the older thread you want to see.
-R

TheDagger
07-17-2005, 05:56 AM
Hi. Where can I find the older daily sketches? sketches from 2004, for example. Is there a way, other than using the search box, to find the older threads?

I'm not sure if this is what you want but anyway... From the bottom of the forum page you can find Display Options. The default is that the threads are shown from the last month, but you can change that to a longer time or set it to show all the threads if you want. After that just press the Show Threads button and you should be able to see the older threads.

Leonardo Vega
07-30-2005, 11:29 AM
So what are the time limit rules? :) I read the posts, but I still don't get it (maybe it's because I just woke up.. *yawn*). Let's say today at 11am a topic is posted, when is the deadline to post for this topic?

That's what has stopped me from posting.... I just don't get it :cry:

Thanks!
Leo

andrewley
07-30-2005, 11:55 AM
You can reply to a topic whenever you want. If you want it to be considered for voting it has to be entered before voting begins.

The important thing is to participate - dont worry about the rules

Leonardo Vega
07-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Hmmm... interesting. So to be entered in the voting I would need to submit my work by the day's end? Then at the end of the week, the winners from each day of that week are entered in a different voting, 'sketch of the week", right?

Sorry AndrewLey, I just want to know how things work, I feel better when I know :)

- Leo

TheDagger
07-30-2005, 04:20 PM
You don't have to post your sketch on the same day the topic is given. If you want to get into the voting, you need to post before people start giving their votes. So you can submit your entry to today's topic today, tomorrow or whenever you feel like it. If you want to get comments on your work, it's probably best to post on the same day the topic is given because ppl are most active on the current topic.

Edit: Check the previous page of this thread. Squibbit explained the whole system there better than I did. :)

Leonardo Vega
07-31-2005, 12:05 AM
ok thanks! I can't believe I missed that post :) Cool, I will try my best to participate!

- Leo

ekah
08-11-2005, 11:14 PM
Yea, I found it way confusing at first , too. I think many
people do, but it's actually quite an easy system, I'll explain:

Every day a new topic thread is posted by Roberto Ortiz (http://member.php/?u=5324) on
the forum (http://forumdisplay.php/?f=130). The topic is named and numbered, for example:
CgTalk Daily Sketch 352 "pocket sized monster"

People do their sketches during the week , based on the
topic, each sketch taking anywhere from a second to many
hours to do, whatever you feel like, but usually half an hour
to three hours.

Then after one week , 7 topics, people get to vote their
favourites for each of the last weeks threads and those who
get the most votes are mentioned in the voting thread as
winners of each day. In addition the sketch of the week is
announced, as well as the 'level upper' which is a person
whose skills have seemingly improved in the eyes of the
fellow daily sketchers.

so again: a topic appears each day and you can take part
in it any time of the week to get in the voting, some people
even reply to older threads, as the forum is really based on fun
and learning

any part u still don't understand just ask

I think your description is the only post where it explains how Daily Sketch Group works. Perhaps you could have a FAQ sticky with rules and description of how it works.

Few more things could be added:
-Who can participate? Anyone?
-What medium can we use? 2D digital, traditional, 3D, etc.

Thanks.

jjhei
08-28-2005, 01:34 AM
Hi, I was wondering about the mediums we are allowed to use in this sketch forum. Can I sketch with pencil and just scan it in and colour? Also, can I join in the middle of a daily sketching week or do I have to start on the first day?

doomdragon
08-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Yes, you can post pencil sketches and post only one or any other amount of sketches in a week. :D

Posting on every day of the week was just a special event during the last week if you wanted to participate in "The pledge". But you still could post as usual too, if you didnt want to take in this challenge.

hindus
10-04-2005, 08:37 AM
how it work ?

1) is there a new topic everyday ?
2) when is selected sketch of the week and how much time I have to vote ?

alexfalchi
01-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Sorry guys I noT understand.. :(
If I want partecipate to the sketch of the week where I must put my drawing??
any help:)

TNX.
Alex.

elmasfeo
01-31-2006, 12:26 PM
Sorry guys I noT understand.. :(
If I want partecipate to the sketch of the week where I must put my drawing??
any help:)

TNX.
Alex.

at your own web space, and then link it from there.... you can use some of those free web hosts, or image hosts like photobucket and others.... I think RebeccaK explains it nicely here.... http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=267104

...and good luck getting lost in madrid :D

@hindus: probably it's too late for answering, but..... yes, there is a new topic every day, and for voting you have the time until Roberto counts up the votes and displays the results.... 3 or 4 days more or less I think

....and this is my 600 post!!!

alexfalchi
01-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Tanks a lot Elmasfeo!!??ŅŅ :argh: ahaah good nick :D
tanks for help bro.
ablamos..

Alex.

Sarge-Online
02-02-2006, 04:55 AM
Hey guys,

I am very keen on participating in the daily sketch forum, mainly because I can't draw well at all (yet) and I'm a multimedia student and feel I should be able to draw well! Especially when it comes to coming up with concepts and so forth. So I am going to try and participate in the daily sketch 2-3 times a week.

I just had a question... I noticed someone saying in this thread they had to wait till they had posted 30 times before they could post here. Is that something to do with posting images? Or am I still able to post images now while I am below 30 posts since you can't add images anymore? It's all done by adding the link to the image now isn't it?

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Mu
02-03-2006, 08:26 PM
30 is a bit of an exaggeration. Your pics show up after the second post.

And, yes you add your image link into the Image input (which shows up when you press that Image Icon: sun/mountain in the post editor).

Just go for it! You can't actually break anything...:D

Have fun

Mu

Sagii
02-04-2006, 03:38 AM
For anyone who wants to practice this is the place to be.
I know that the art at CGTALK is really amazing and that may discourage people to want to post their work. If you feel that you want to practice, get crits and just be able to draw everyday, this is the place to be. :)

If you are a beginner dont feel intimidated. Yes some people in the DSG are amazing artists that can wip out a masterpiece in less than an hour, but there are many more beginners that just want to practice and enjoy this fun practice (just like me). I have found that drawing everyday is a great practice and that doing a random topic like the DSG is great because you never know whats coming, practice makes perfect and the more you do it the better you will get.

Anyone can participate with any medium. You can even sketch for past topics if you like, there is really no rule against that, UNLESS you want to be considered for voting then just make sure you do it at least before 7 days go by cause it takes 7 days for the voting to begin.

So if you havent done it yet, join the DSG and get to sketching :arteest:

ThePhotographer
03-31-2006, 09:07 PM
I agree with all the others who said that this should be just for fun - I couldn't care less if I was selected as Sketch of the Week. It's only to get some experience and learn to draw more quickly that I decided to start participating here.

The first thing I posted was for the selfportraits which had one hour. I have to admit that one hour is the absolute minimum for me. 15 or 20 minutes - forget about it !

It is true that this part of the forum is too hidden as well as is also the Beginners Lounge.

It is also true that this section is a little bit too complicated to understand seen from outside and particularly the voting system seems a bit complicated.

I think it would be better to have this section a bit more obvious to all members - not something you have to search for or find by coincidence. A real votesystem like on GFXArtist would be nice for this section. I don't really like the system they have there generally, but I think such a system - but with equal votes for everyone - would be super for the sketch group here.

cypherx
04-11-2006, 03:30 PM
I've not done this yet because I'm just venturing out a little at a time with regards to my comfort zone in this place, which I still feel very new to. I also was under the impression that you guys posted at a certain time, and the person(s) had to watch for the post and they then had 30 minutes (or the given amount of time) to come up with their idea and render it. And at least I for one have work, so mornings are nigh impossible for me. So I guess my question is do you guys ever do these at night ever? For those of us who keep strange hours, and draw at even stranger ones.

cypherx
04-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Also, I was reading thru a few of the responses, and I know for me when I glanced at the voting page, it was far too hard for me to understand at first glance & the way it was done didn't peak my curiousity enough to want to figure it out. If I see a daily sketch on the front page I'll click on it, but I know I want no part in any sort of voting.

I like the idea of having a daily sketch forum. It's a great way for us to have outside ideas and force us to try and come up with something quickly which is excellent practice. But I know for me, anytime a voting system is in place it makes me a bit uncomfortable & perhaps even less productive. I agree that this should be for fun, and there shouldn't be any pressure on people to want to excel at it, especially when it's being encouraged in a beginners forum & with time constraints (though I for one like seeing the experts at work, it gives one something to strive for).

TobyArt
04-11-2006, 05:13 PM
cypherx - The 30min/15min/25min, is all just to try and speed up the practice and actually just a recommendation. If you say have a 25min drawing, take 25 min, get as much of it done as possible in that time, save the image. Then go ahead and finish it as far as you want. Post the two together and final time it took. The time limits are just for improving speed of the thought process and strokes and idea creation.

By the way, you can do the sketches whenever you want, not just in the morning, it can even be a couple days after just make sure it's not already being voted on ex.
THE SKETCH OF THE WEEK:Tell us what is your favorite sketches from Cat(660-666) (http://showthread.php/?t=342799)
you can still feel free to do 667+ whenever you want. I do my best work around 2 in the morning, if that works for you, do it then. This forum is designed for the artists it's pretty relaxed. ( i believe someone already explained this to you in the my pet dsg so sorry if it's repetitive)

As far as voting goes, it's appreciated, but not mandatory. It's not a huge competition, it just pulls attention to some of the incredible art that was created thanks to this forum. And lets the voters look thru all the great art that was created. I've never had a sketch of the week or even a sketch of the day, (got some votes but no win) but I still participate because I love that it gives me a new inspiration every day. Or just when I need it.

I've seen your work before, you're very skilled, just try for a week. It could be the birth of some amazing creations and the teacher of some great lessons, in 60min or less!

RobertoOrtiz
04-11-2006, 05:15 PM
What he said...

-R

RobertoOrtiz
04-11-2006, 07:11 PM
I think it would be better to have this section a bit more obvious to all members - not something you have to search for or find by coincidence. A real votesystem like on GFXArtist would be nice for this section. I don't really like the system they have there generally, but I think such a system - but with equal votes for everyone - would be super for the sketch group here.

Well we are now one of the main forums.
Thanks for your support..

-R

cypherx
04-12-2006, 01:07 AM
alright, thanks for the info
And for certain I'll give it a whirl whenever I have freetime.

Pamyla
05-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Hello all I apologize if this question has been both asked and answered, but Im at work sneaking on the pc and No I haven't searched this thread..this question just came to mind

Ok here goes:
The daily challenges are posted..but what if we cannot do them that day, can they be done later and posted still keeping with time constraints etc?

I finished taking some evening classes, nd for some reason I seem to have less time to get things done..but I do wnat to know the answer for the question

Thanks in advance,
Pamyla

Vahn
05-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Pamyla: you can do the sketch whenever you want between the time the topic was posted & the voting at the end of the week :)

Pamyla
05-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks hangar12 very much!
pamyla

christiancassem
05-30-2006, 12:22 AM
I have acouple of beginners questions about sketching.

!. Do the sketches have to be done using a tablet or can they be freehand.

2. I can sketch very well using pencil and paper but I don't yet have a wacom tablet will my skills be transferable? Can the results aquired using a tablet ever match pencil and paper sketching?

robinayles
06-06-2006, 09:19 PM
OH NO! How terrible....nobody answered your questions.

1) they can be freehand and scanned in, no problem
2) yes, your skills are transferable, but it is different learning to sketch using a tablet. It takes a bit of getting used to in order to learn the pressure needed for shading and details because you are not drawing directly on your work....unless you have loads of money and can afford the top of the line Cintiq which is a pressure sensitive monitor that you draw on directly. Once you start using a tablet, you will get HOOKED on it! :)

I have acouple of beginners questions about sketching.

!. Do the sketches have to be done using a tablet or can they be freehand.

2. I can sketch very well using pencil and paper but I don't yet have a wacom tablet will my skills be transferable? Can the results aquired using a tablet ever match pencil and paper sketching?

mehmi
06-22-2006, 02:41 PM
id like to daily sketch xD but maybe not everyday.. other stuff goings on etc.. would help to get my skillz up methinks.

ahh.. prolly just stick to the bigger/ no limits ones..

Bekks

robinayles
06-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Whatever you'd like to do is fine, Mehmi. Welcome aboard!

protocoldoug
07-25-2006, 04:09 PM
...for the life of me, i can't find the sketch of the week thread, where does that get posted, could someone point me to it?

i've seen it before from one of the 5 (or 6?) images at the of the forum home, a few weeks back.

much appreciated!

artista3d
11-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Hello all...

I've been in CGTalk for a while, but I've never took part on the DSG. I will try to find some time to join soon, but I have another kind of question:

This forum (the CGTalk Daily Sketch) has some great artwork and concepts. Can I use some concepts as a reference for my art, like for example doing a 3D rendition of a 2D sketch posted here?

If this is possible, what should be the requirements? Ask permission from the author of the sketch in advance, or just include some credits and a link to the original post?

elmasfeo
11-07-2006, 12:54 PM
artista3d, I would ask the authors, or at least tell them... they will very likely accept IMO... but that's not a rule of the daily sketch forum, the only owners of the images posted here are the authors, so do as you would do with any other image...

Jezzi
12-30-2006, 03:17 PM
2007, the year to stop lurking and start sketching . I've just posted my 1st to one of the daily challenges..... and figured I'd make a second post right away to get the validation requirements over and done with.
Anyway I am wondering - I linked my image via Photobucket (800x600 124 kb) and it is tiny in the corner of the post. How does one post an image that looks bigger in the thread if the image limit is 800x600 ?
A while later - I have figured it out now.

ivandisimoni
01-22-2007, 12:51 AM
I don't understand a thing. how do you know that the people really just use the allowed time? they post a lot after the hour that you put the topic. or didn't I understand the rule? please explain to me so that I can participate in the chalenge. thank you very much.

elmasfeo
01-22-2007, 10:20 AM
I don't understand a thing. how do you know that the people really just use the allowed time? they post a lot after the hour that you put the topic. or didn't I understand the rule? please explain to me so that I can participate in the chalenge. thank you very much.

we trust in each other ;) (oooh how beautiful it sounds)

...there is no real prize and the rules are not that strict, I mean, if someone "cheats", what would be the benefit for him? pfft, we don't have a DSG police department, this is just for practicing and having fun...
I hope to see you sketching soon! :wip:

(mmmm.... now I want a t-shirt with "DSGPD" on it, hehehe....(Daily Sketch Group Police Department))

RobertoOrtiz
01-22-2007, 03:45 PM
(mmmm.... now I want a t-shirt with "DSGPD" on it, hehehe....(Daily Sketch Group Police Department))

You know, that sounds like a cool topic.
BTW welcome to the fold ivandisimoni.

-R

ivandisimoni
01-22-2007, 05:20 PM
we trust in each other ;) (oooh how beautiful it sounds)

...there is no real prize and the rules are not that strict, I mean, if someone "cheats", what would be the benefit for him? pfft, we don't have a DSG police department, this is just for practicing and having fun...
I hope to see you sketching soon! :wip:

Thank you very much for the explanation. I already posted 2 sketches in the category "hero" because it was no limit, now I will start to post also in the categories with time limit .

Spiritt
02-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Do people account for the time for thumbnails or developmental sketches as part of the finished product? Is this important? Cuz i'll do a few thumbnails before I find something I like. At times I will redo the piece or start another document entirely.

The rules state to post your work @ the time limit, but this isn't an accurate depiction, if you account for the total time. The single finished piece might be fraction of that and within the time limit or you might just find a pose or idea just as time runs out.

What is the concenus for this? :)

THX All

JTD
02-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Hey Spiritt! To be honest, the time limits are just guidelines to help you improve your technique and to motivate you. No one has ever had a problem with anyone going over the time limit (even in the voting thread).

I personally wouldn't count the thumbnail unless you started building your painting directly from that thumbnail. But even if you did so what? Some people produce gorgeous works in very little time, some people are just barely getting started (you should have tried some of those 15 minute threads), and some people like me get a good rough draft right at the time limit. Thatís okay because if you feel inspired you can still work on it and post both a rough draft (that you completed within the time limit) and a finished piece (that you completed hours and hours later).

Basically what I'm saying is we are here to encourage each other, not judge each other. So feel free to experiment and try to use the timelimits to your advantage by pushing yourself to learn new techniques that save you time.

Spiritt
02-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Thanks JTD, for the input! I've visited other Art forums and I believe DSF is one of the better communities out there in regards to constructive critiques and positive encouragement. Some forums out there even have Trash Talking as being mandatory participation. (which I think is pretty arrogant, but to each their own...) :shrug: :)

I do agree with you about the talented artists here. It's inspiring to see the quality of work posted on a daily basis. Also, the level of speed that some ppl are able to complete the daily topic is short of amazing.

Anyway, thanks! & Practice on ppl! :thumbsup:

Spiritt
02-19-2007, 12:31 AM
oops double post

thesquid
02-28-2007, 12:26 AM
how do i get into the group ? i think this is a great idea and would LOVE to take part... i have a wacom and about 4-5 years of PS under my belt.. can i join ?

RobertoOrtiz
02-28-2007, 01:30 AM
There are no membership requirements.
Just post.
-R

thesquid
03-18-2007, 08:02 AM
how do i post my sketch in the forum ?

Mirenwe
03-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Newcomer signing up for the DSG soon! This is my first post ever to CGtalk and I really look forward to joining up. I've been following this forum for a quite some time and finally decided that what the heck, i will participate also with my beginner scribbles. After all, the only way to improve is to draw and draw some more. So see you all soon in here, unless i chicken out ;)

manduringanimpact
06-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm sorry, I've already posted some sketches but it's always visualized only the thumbnail, how can I visualize directly my image like all the others?
Please let me know...

rkraiza
06-26-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm sorry, I've already posted some sketches but it's always visualized only the thumbnail, how can I visualize directly my image like all the others?
Please let me know...

Credit to John-S for telling me this.. It is a direct quote from his post on my thread.

"go to http://imageshack.us/

choose your file and select the "host it" button

then copy the code for "hotlink for forums 1"

paste that into your post and don't use any of cgtalks image buttons etc. Its all done for you.."

And as soom as I'm done the model I'm trying to do in two weeks for the hardcore mini challaneg I will surely start contributing to the sketch group. I've just started really enjoying digital painting and it seems like great fun.

And I'm sorry if this has been answered but one question.. How do I know which is the current daily sketch? And is there any longer sketch thing set up? Anything like the daily skech group with perhaps a week to do a painting?

Allright, i think I might have answered a part of my own question.. I can see when the particular sketch topic is posted and I would have from then until the sketch of the week thread was posted still staying within the time limit of the particular sketch.

manduringanimpact
06-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks rkraiza for the advice!!! Really!!!

You can join any of the daily scketch of the current week, there's one new every day.
I think there's no weekly contest.
see you soon in the scketch forum.

Control-Freak
08-30-2007, 12:53 AM
Ok could someone please clear this up for me?

First I have been looking at this particular forum for a long time now and have barely added to it because I never have a clue what is active and what is not.
Suggestions:

1. Sticky daily sketch challenges - This would allow new members to know what challenge is being offered and which have passed. (the number system gets lost as you sometimes need to go through alot of posts to find the highest number)

2. Sticky weekly sketch challenge - Same reason as above

3. Maybe use dates? ie: Daily Sketch Challenge Liquid 30002 9/1/2007 est to 9/2/2007 est - This would allow all time zones across the planet to join in and give a definate time for the challenges

4. Add something to the beggining to elaborate on the rules or lack of . For instance "New Zealand". Am I restricted on what I can draw about New Zealand? Does the drawing have to say New Zealand? Do I have to draw New Zealand itself? Do I have to draw someone from New Zeland? etc... Just a sticky about some ground (rules or lack of) I think would turn more people to these challenges.

But I only read through 4 pages of this faq before posting this and all this might be moot already. (If so sorry)

CF

dapride
02-02-2008, 06:49 AM
Almost 100 FAQ posts could be condensed into a simple heading with the steps for posting in the Daily Sketch Forum. Not everyone speaks English as their first language. It would encourage more people to enter if it was easier to understand..........

sneakingSneaker
02-14-2008, 01:37 AM

DSF - Daily Sketch Forum
NTL - No Time Limit

How do I join the DSF?
There isn't a member list and there isn't a secret password or handshake. To join, simply login and post your topic sketch. It's that simple. And, it can be very effective.

How do I post an image?

First, upload your image to an image-hosting site such as imageshack or photobucket.

Activate the message area by clicking in it (the image will appear where your cursor is flashing).

Click the icon that looks like a little yellow postcard or envelope. That should open a scripted window.

Paste the link to your image into the highlighted section reading "null." Your image will then appear in your post.

*If the scripted window does not open and you get a warning at the top of your browser about scripted windows, R-Click on the bar and select ďTemporarily Allow Scripted Windows.Ē Click the yellow postcard again to launch the window.

Brand new users have a two-post review process to go through. Itís painless and if your posts are validated, you shouldnít experience any delay in your later posts. Just remember, courtesy and respect is expected in this forum - just like any other on CGTalk. That does not mean you must pretend to love every piece presented. It merely means that you must behave politely when providing a critique on the strengths and weaknesses of a piece. As the reply rules say, ďEngage your brain before your mouth.Ē

Can I use any medium?
The DSF is unconcerned what you medium you use as long as the sketch doesn't plagiarize another's work (unless specified otherwise: e.g. Self-Portrait as a South Park Character). We like to know what was used to sate our curiosity but feel free to use any program or any traditional method.

This is forum for all levels of people. Moreover, thatís not just inclusive and shallow advertising. It's the truth. Anyone that has felt nervous about posting because they feel unqualified, your concerns are heard. We've been there. For many of us, our first posts had us shaking in our chairs. But, the DSF is unique. Insults, harassment, and rude comments are completely unacceptable and the forum leaders do a fine job of enforcing that policy. That's not to say everyone will praise your work. There will be critiques and some will be blunter than others will, but no one intends to crush your art - they just want to help you build it. If your new, nervous, and/or want a critique, say so! This forum actually behaves like a polite and helpful community. Have you posted a sketch but didnít get the critique and help you wanted? That's a shame. Most of us try but we're busy too. The last thing we want is for you to feel like our silence is social pressure to make you leave. Just remember to be polite and if you keep on drawing, someone will come around soon enough.

The time limits have confused people for a while now. It is mostly established that the time limit is set for the actual production of the piece. Most people don't include reference hunting and while thumbnails are bit of a murkier aspect, no one's really going to begrudge using ten extra minutes to find a decent composition. However, it can be useful as a growing experience to count the thumb nailing as part of your production time. The enforcement of time limits regarding voting is flexible. No one will discount your entry for five or ten minutes. Some are even flexible up to fifteen or twenty minutes. The DSF is undergoing some new changes that may change this, but that will come when our forum leader says so. Finally the present suspicion: who's being honest about their time? The DSF works on an honor system and sometimes you see a piece and you have to wonder. However, I would like to hope that most of the community makes a concentrated effort to be honest in their behavior. This is how we grow, by being honest with each other about our skills and critiques.

The DSF doesnít require a commitment and is respectful of our busy lives. You can sketch once and not return for a year. You can sketch every topic. It doesn't matter. Come, go, and grow as you please. Just remember to keep your sketches somehow relevant.

*If you're looking to post your personal sketches that arenít related to the topics, visit CGTalk > General Techniques > Artistic Anatomy and Figurative Art Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200). Here you can develop a sketchbook thread to post your sketches. Some sketchbooks are also posted in the WIP/2D section.

The newest DSF topic is posted at the top of the thread, just below the sticky threads. It is also identifiable by the increasing numbers in the threadís title. Topic threads are open and active until the Category Vote Thread for those topics has been posted. The time period between the initial post of the topic until the voting generally lasts 7 days (five to be safe), some even later but that is not very common. Most thread activity stalls by the fifth day unless they are unusually popular threads. Once the Category Vote Thread [Officially known as Sketch of the Week: Tell Us What Your Favorite is for the Week! Cat (#-#)] for a range of topics most activity ceases in those topics. While that does not mean that thread is officially closed, any entry added after that isn't likely to receive much attention as most people have moved onto the newer threads.

Variety is the spice of life. To add to that variety, all sketchers are encouraged to post topic ideas to the Topic Suggestions Thread (it's one of the sticky threads). Our forum leader Roberto Ortiz also jazzes up the DSF by adding special threads. There are a few types of threads:

Topic Threads: These threads make up the bulk of the DSF. They feature a topic, a time limit, and follow the normal guidelines. These guidelines are posted at the top of every sketch thread.

Sketch of the Week: Tell Us... Threads: These threads are where sketchers post their votes for the specified categories.

Concept Art Threads: These threads encourage sketches of a particular style or subject as a way to provide concept art for other challenges such as VFX Challenges and 3D Modeling Challenges.

Experimental Threads: Just as the title says, Mr. Ortiz has placed a unique challenge on the topic. The most recent of these was a thread called "The Hero." That threads particular challenge involved color restrictions on the entries. This is but one example.

Hyper-Review Threads: These lesser-seen threads were particularly helpful threads. This thread requests that everyone who posts provide a critique a previous poster. The exchange of helpful advice is very useful so don't shy away from these rarely seen threads.

Most of the old sketch threads can be found in the Sketch of the Week Gallery. Here, Mr. Ortiz has composed links to all the Sketch of the Week threads. Inside those threads are links to the mentioned categories. For example:

Sketch of the Week Gallery > THE SKETCH OF THE WEEK: Tell us what is your favorite sketches from Cat (978-984) > CGTalk Daily Sketch 984

You can also search for a category number in the search box at the bottom of the DSF.

Participating in the voting process is easy too. Select the thread beginning with "THE SKETCH OF THE WEEK: Tell us what is your favorite sketches from Cat (#-#).Ē The numbers that follow "Cat" indicate the different topics to vote for the week. Then post your reply with your votes. You might notice that some people don't vote for all the topics but rather leave one or two certain topics with "NO VOTE." This response hasn't had much resistance so if you don't feel comfortable voting for in a topic you've participated in or simply didn't enjoy any of the sketches, this is a viable option provided it is used sparingly. Finally, you don't need to be a participant to vote for the SOTW.

If the thought of voting creates too much competition for you, you're not the only one. Many people were worried about that once. After a few posts, most conclude that weíre all here for the fun. Is it nice to be nominated? Sure it is. Yet, no one's really here to win. That's what the major challenges are for. This forum exists to practice, play, and encourage. Thus, you can use the voting process as a way to push yourself or you can ignore it entirely because no one is going to think less of you regardless.

effenndee
04-27-2008, 06:11 AM
Thank you for the information about participating in DSF. Can you please tell me if you have to be one of the sketchers to vote in the SOTW threads? I'm new here and haven't added any sketches yet but have taken part in voting once and didn't think about whether I was actually allowed to. Apologies if that's not on.

mitchelhunt
05-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Why aren't the Daily Sketches lined up in order?
Try deleting your browser's cashe, cookies, and temporary internet files. This works for some people.

Am I allowed to vote for SOTW without being a sketcher in the DSF?
You don't need to be a participant, outside opinions are welcome.

effenndee
05-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks very much!

mitchelhunt
05-03-2008, 02:07 AM
No problem. :thumbsup:

joojy
06-17-2008, 01:42 AM
newbie alert!

i want to start participating in the daily(ish) sketches but am extremely confused by:

" You have 55 mn for your sketch. IF you go beyond the assigned time limit , you have to post WHATEVER you have done after the time has expired, along with the FINAL drawing.

Post only your FINAL piece on this thread, based on the topic on the thread.
Only final pieces can be posted on the thread. They must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced."
what i understand from this is that we have to post 'whatever we have after the time limit' PLUS the 'final'
but then the next line definitely says ONLY the final piece ...

so if we go over the time limit we should post JUST the final or BOTH pieces?

sorry if im a bit daft ... ;)

RobertoOrtiz
06-18-2008, 06:42 PM
I changed the first post of the FAQ...

Thankds to Megan Smiley for all her hard work!

How do I join the DSF?
How do I post an image?
Can I use any medium?

DSF - Daily Sketch Forum
NTL - No Time Limit

How do I join the DSF?

How do I post an image?

Can I use any medium?

Thanks again to Megan Smiley for her hard work!

kivi
08-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Is it allowed to pot multiply works on single theme?

RobertoOrtiz
08-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Is it allowed to pot multiply works on single theme?

You can post as many works as you wish on a single post.

-R

zeroPERCENT
08-28-2008, 04:39 AM
Ooh, all very helpful info, thank you. :)

Creeto
01-02-2009, 12:30 AM
EDIT

found what i was looking for :)

cheers

gingerbreadman
01-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I tried to add my images in "Daily scetch forum" according to instruction in FAQ but it doesn't work. The picture is not shown. I tried to do this in Firefox and Internet Explorer. I used both "yellow" icons to paste my link on Photobucket - one is "Insert email link" and the other "Insert image". Always with the same result. No picture shown in my post. Does anybody know what is going on?

sneakingSneaker
01-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Hello, gingerbreadman. You're clicking the right button, the insert image link, but I wonder if you're pasting the right link from photobucket. Are you copying the link option known as the Direct Link? Because that's the option you need to use. If you have done that and it's still not working, you can pm me and I'll try to help you out with some screenshots or something.

RomtinErfani
01-12-2009, 10:06 PM
just a quick question. i plan to also start participating and im wondering about something. "Mu", who posted in the "Whiteout" daily sketch made it a point to mention "ref used respectively for the suit, the mask and the facial expression (artnatomy):" (his/her words). I just entered an image for "Eskimo Love" which takes advantage of references in terms of the general outfit. Should i make it a point to note this in my post?

mccg
03-08-2009, 06:50 PM
I got a question regarding to the DSF deadline. Does it matter if I post a sketch to an older topick? When is the deadline of each thread?

mecos
05-26-2009, 08:37 PM
this is more of a suggestion than a question.

i think the topic titles could use a little reformatting for easier legibility. sometimes i come here and at a glance i can't find the topics i'm looking for right away and it requires careful reading.

i think the pertinent information should come first. for example;

current: CgTalk Daily Sketch 1812 50 mn "The Leader"
new: 1812 "The Leader" 50mn - CgTalk Daily Sketch
or: 1812 "The Leader" 50mn (CgTalk Daily Sketch)
or: 1812 "The Leader" - 50mn - CgTalk Daily Sketch
or: 1812 "The Leader" (50mn) CgTalk Daily Sketch

or even better: 1812 - "The Leader" - 50mn

also the voting threads could be stickied while the voting is active. this would also make it easy to see which daily sketches one can still submit to.

just some thoughts.

Hupie
11-10-2009, 09:41 AM
I also want to join these daily sketches soon but i have a question. In the start post it states:

Only original compositions. No "tributes" or plagiarizing, unless is it an integral part of the challenge.

Does this mean i cant draw from photoreference and try to mimic the original piece? Or is it no issue?

Atm i like to draw from reference as i dont have much of a traditional art background so i dont have a image library in my head (if u know what i mean) but i want to start learning to draw with my new wacom. For example, would this be allowed as daily sketch, looking also at the referance below:

http://hupie.deviantart.com/art/buddha-142695195

ref:

http://bartman905.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/buddha.jpg

Creeto
07-03-2010, 12:34 PM
would be nice if there was an actuall feedback thread

RobertoOrtiz
07-03-2010, 04:40 PM
would be nice if there was an actuall feedback thread

What do you mean?

Creeto
07-03-2010, 06:39 PM
well, there has been some changes around here lately. could maybe discus such things in a thread other then FAQ

opinions and suggestions should always be welcome in a forum i think since these can make things better

danielh68
07-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Perhaps making feedback part of the posting protocol? Every poster comments on the previously posted art -- what you like and don't like, etc.

LaMarg
08-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Hey there!
Just registered and wanted to say hi!
I'm a complete beginner, I've been watching this forum in the last few days and I'm completely amazed, I didn't even know there were SO MANY great artists out there..
I 'm sure I'll make a complete fool of myself by posting but.. wah, I can take that!

I just have one super simple question, I'm sorry if it was already posted, I might have missed it..
Can you include some kind of text into the images.. like I don't know, words or lettering.. something?
I'm afraid I already did.. but just to be safe!
Anyway, thanks again to everybody, have a great day/night!
Margherita

CapnSlurpee
06-23-2011, 03:33 PM
hello I just joined today and there are a few things I just can't get
I understand that we have to do the sketches within a time limit but was does mn stand for?"The Expedition: Fall" by Creeto You have 40 mn for your your sketch.
Does it mean minute? Day?
Sorry for the silly question.