PDA

View Full Version : Valve shuts down 20,000 Half Life 2 accounts (theinquirer.net)

UrbanFuturistic
11-24-2004, 01:52 PM
VALVE SOFTWARE has disabled the Steam accounts of 20,000 people it has said were attempting to use pirated copies of Half-Life 2...

more (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19860)

Sooo, what was that about it being cracked early?

regards, Paul

sforsyth
11-24-2004, 01:58 PM
I dunno, I think they really messed up with this whole Steam thing. It's quite annoying to have bought a game and then have to wait so long each time just to play the thing. I for one will think long and hard before buying a game that works like this again. If this is the future of game distribution, I want no part of it. Our sys admin here is saying Steam is flooding our network with packets.

jeffthomann
11-24-2004, 01:59 PM
Awesome! Hope other game companies take note and follow suite... also wouldn't it be a little funny if they kept the ip addresses of those that used the cracked software and handed them over to a lawyer to go after em.

ThE_SP
11-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Steam is a massive pain, but don't blame Valve for it. Blame all the and cracks out there that has forced their hand. I doubt that this method is going to go away. I don't like it myself, but once the install was done all was good and I had no problems.

Cheers

DarkTure
11-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Ive been lucky with steam, Had not problems what so ever (been using it for a long time with cs 1.6)

Kinda funny how all the people with pirated HL2 copies are angry at valve... (steam forums) What do they expect to happen if they get caught? :thumbsup:

StephanD
11-24-2004, 03:19 PM
What do they expect to happen if they get caught?

They didn't,that's what makes it so funny :applause:

titaniumdave
11-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Sooo, what was that about it being cracked early?

Lets see 20000 accounts shutdown and theres probably millions of pirated copies out there. I read something the other day where they talked about a offline activation thing (I'll try to dig up the article again) which lets them play with no use of steam at all. Valve can call this a victory over the stupid people but its no victory over piracy.

DarkTure
11-24-2004, 03:49 PM
They didn't,that's what makes it so funny :applause:

true, true :)

Jhonus
11-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Lets see 20000 accounts shutdown and theres probably millions of pirated copies out there. I read something the other day where they talked about a offline activation thing (I'll try to dig up the article again) which lets them play with no use of steam at all. Valve can call this a victory over the stupid people but its no victory over piracy.
i'd be interested to see that article. i'd love to play halflife without having to use the cd and without steam, they are both annoying.

whats the point in having the cd in the drive anyway? people who downloaded the game via steam dont have that hassle... why make the people who got the hardcopy do such inane things?

StephanD
11-24-2004, 08:30 PM
Valve can call this a victory over the stupid people but its no victory over piracy.

No one talked about a victory but that's one funny kick in the groins.

kag122
11-24-2004, 10:21 PM
you also have to think about this kind of stuff in money terms 20,000 accounts roughly estimates to $1 million USD its more than a kick in the groin...

erilaz
11-24-2004, 10:30 PM
More on that:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5635

percydaman
11-24-2004, 10:38 PM
you also have to think about this kind of stuff in money terms 20,000 accounts roughly estimates to $1 million USD its more than a kick in the groin...
not if those people never intended on purchasing the game in the first place...

Frank Lake
11-24-2004, 10:41 PM
:shrug:

They probably pay that much out every month in bills. But ntl the people who pirated H2 can afford to spend some money and time in jail.

Psotek
11-24-2004, 10:48 PM
Heh, as apposed to how much they make, right?

peanuckle
11-24-2004, 10:50 PM
I wonder how many people will be calling valve completely pissed off because their account was closed even though they bought the game? Shutting down that many accounts will resort in closing some legit accounts I'm sure.

Tanner

Psotek
11-24-2004, 10:57 PM
Thats exactly what I said on the other Hl2 thread here.

Levitateme
11-24-2004, 11:50 PM
this was what i was thinkin too peanuckle. i have not played hl2 in a few days, becuase i played it for 7 hrs oneday. so i am taking a break...but yeah id be really pissed i fmy account was gone or something. i wonder how they decided how to close the accounts. must be something them people who played the game withouth buying it, the crack must have showed something to steam, so they knew who to boot and who not to. i am not really worried, im sure they know what they are doing.

PyRoT
11-25-2004, 03:30 AM
This is largely the developers' fault when it comes to banning legit users. Buying the game off steam doesn't require you to have a CD in the drive but buying it from the shop does. The only reason legit users would really get banned is for cracking the game in order to play the game without having to insert the CD. I won't be suprised if some of these legit users end up stealing cd-keys which then harms even more people. Just one simple fix doing away with th need for inserting the CD and all would be well.

Tomek

colintheys
11-25-2004, 07:03 AM
I totally approve of the attemp, however, I think Steam is a less than perfect system. I was an avid CS player (legal copy purchased retail) and the update to steam was the end for me because steam simply won't run on my computer. period. no support from valve either. I really want to play hl2 and I'm hoping that this won't be a problem...:sad:

It's sort of like MS office activation. I didn't mind it at all until my habbit of formatting my laptop every few months appeared to get on their nerves and they made me explain my formatting habbits over the phone in order to re-install.

PyRoT
11-25-2004, 07:16 AM
I totally approve of the attemp, however, I think Steam is a less than perfect system. I was an avid CS player (legal copy purchased retail) and the update to steam was the end for me because steam simply won't run on my computer. period. no support from valve either. I really want to play hl2 and I'm hoping that this won't be a problem...:sad:

It's sort of like MS office activation. I didn't mind it at all until my habbit of formatting my laptop every few months appeared to get on their nerves and they made me explain my formatting habbits over the phone in order to re-install.
Very strange.. All very strange..

Para
11-25-2004, 07:26 AM
I wonder how many people will be calling valve completely pissed off because their account was closed even though they bought the game? Shutting down that many accounts will resort in closing some legit accounts I'm sure.

The way I've understood this is that most of the accounts had HL1 keys attached to 'em but only a few (less than per cent, possibly even per mille) had actually bought HL2, they just have a habit to start yelling how Steam sucks when this thing is noticed and get even more pissed off when their credit card felonies are reported to police (especially in California the three strike law is a nice combo with Steam). If you've played HL2, consider those people as the instinct in Breen's propaganda speech in the beginning of the game :)

This is largely the developers' fault when it comes to banning legit users. Buying the game off steam doesn't require you to have a CD in the drive but buying it from the shop does. The only reason legit users would really get banned is for cracking the game in order to play the game without having to insert the CD. I won't be suprised if some of these legit users end up stealing cd-keys which then harms even more people. Just one simple fix doing away with th need for inserting the CD and all would be well.

The CD/DVD requirement was Vivendi's idea along the "great" idea of slapping SecuROM on it, VALVe would've let people to literally throw those CDs away after installing.

???
11-25-2004, 08:19 AM

Tanner Demand a refund is possible ?
The thing whould have guarantee.

Para
11-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Demand a refund is possible ?
The thing whould have guarantee.

As Steam Subscriber Agreement (http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=subscriber_agreement) says:

"Valve may terminate your Account or a particular Subscription for any conduct or activity that Valve believes is illegal, Cheating or otherwise negatively affects the enjoyment of Steam by other Subscribers. You acknowledge that Valve is not required to provide you notice before terminating your Subscriptions(s) and/or Account, but it may choose to do so. "

It's a lengthy agreement but everyone should read it.

kex
11-25-2004, 10:33 AM
stupid people should of created a second steam acount if they were that smart to crack a game. :P

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.