PDA

View Full Version : LW Drill for XSI?

jasonbowers
11-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Hi there,

Does XSI have an equivalent to LWs Drill/Stencil tool?

The Drill function basically enables you to stencil a polymesh onto another, typically residing in the foreground layer in LW.

I miss this so much! The only way I have been able to get anything clses to this is to make my cutter object into 3D that penetrates the target mesh and then Boolean... this of course sucks.

Any help greatly appreciated

A.

RuiFeliciano
11-24-2004, 12:18 PM
I also miss this tool greatly. There's no similar tool other than using boolean methods has you mentioned.
Whenever I need this functionality I just export as obj, load it in Lightwave or MODO, perform the stencil and export it back to XSI.
A tool like this in XSI would be greatly apreciated :)

jasonbowers
11-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Okay. After posting my question earlier in the week I have found a way of doing it. Its not ideal but it works. Basically draw your shape to act as your cutter as you would in LW and align it up over your geometry and then use Modify|Deform|Shrink Wrap to get your shape projected on top of your geometry. Now here's the thing. Instead of pressing a button in LW you have to manually make the hole yourself using the standard tools and point snapping it to the shrink wrapped shape.

Works a treat although takes a bit longer obviously. A quicker solution would be to drop it into LW as you suggest RuiFeliciano. However, that isn't an option for me as I am not permitted to use LW at work due to it being unsupported by my employer.

Been using XSI for a few weeks now and I can honestly say that it is a great modelling package. I do miss the odd plugin from LW but once you figure out all the work-arounds its really cool. The snapping and general translation tools are really powerful and I have discovered that many of my LW plugins are in XSi just hidden a bit.

Take it easy.
A.

coffeefery
08-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Hi, I really miss the LW's template drill/drill tool too. I read your description on using shrink wrap, but it's creating strange results. Do you happen to have time to explain more on how to use the shrink wrap to achieve a result similar to LW's template drill?

Felipe
08-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Have you guys checked Nurbs Modeling and trim by projection ? Take a look in the online guides and see if it's possible to get the results you want.

Cheers,

Felipe

mocaw
08-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Have you guys checked Nurbs Modeling and trim by projection ? Take a look in the online guides and see if it's possible to get the results you want.

Cheers,

Felipe

Exactly...don't forget about them things called nurbs fellow ex-LW pats! Then you'd just freeze it out from there if you need it for polygon modeling...

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2005, 04:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.