PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel: First Reel.

DogBreath
11-24-2004, 10:11 AM
This is my first Demo Reel (http://3dpodcast.com/video/Demo%20Reel%20Net%20241104.mov).

http://3dpodcast.com/images/Demoman%20The%20Reel.jpg

It includes a short intro animation, with the above character I created.
A set of animation cycles, using a biped rig.
A walk/run cycle with transitions, using a quadriped rig.

I hope you like it, I had a lot of fun doing it, ok It wasn't all fun, but mostly I enjoyed doing it.

disrupt
11-24-2004, 01:59 PM
You didn't really mention if you want a critique. I assume you do since it is posted on this forum. Ummm, where to start. It's a good first try, but honestly you really don't understand the basics well enough yet. I really think that you will only hurt your progress if you don't go back and really try to nail down the basics. You really should do a few exercises for each of the animation principles, and get critiques on those. The ball bouncing one is seemingly simple, but very important! So many principles in there, and it is rare to see a good one. To me a ball bounce done VERY well is much more impressive than a character done poorly. Because you will be able to take the principles from the ball bounce and apply it to characters.

About the reel. I would completely take out the intro. It is WAY too long. Your character is off balance alot of the time. His feet slide like he is on ice. YOu have hands intersecting his body. Your walks with the troll guy are very stiff. He needs a lot more spine and hips movement. The run is very jerky, you have way too many pops. I think the quadraped is the best animated thing on your reel. I would put that at the front. But it has many of the same problems. I think you need to spend a lot more time polishing. Remember quality not quantity. I wish I had time to say more. Keep it up, work hard and you'll get there.

mikecarry
11-24-2004, 08:11 PM
Sorry to have to say this, but this demo is weak in nearly every aspect. Models aren't complete, while the animation cycles are stiff and jerky. And nowadays, you have do more than a few walk cycles. Even the editing can be better. The four legged walk/run cyle at the end drags on for too long, as does the intro. And the sound. That explosion is way too loud.
Personally, I think this should be a learning experience for you, and not something you should be sending out. Your next demo reel, if you chose to make one, will be ten times better than this one.

DogBreath
11-24-2004, 10:30 PM
disrupt & mikecarry, Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate that there are a lot of things that need to be improved, and they will be worked on in my 2nd Reel.

I learnt everything that is in this reel while making it, some of which could not be changed because of early mistakes, and I had to make reel number 1, so I could move onto the next one.

Poor old father Olsen
11-25-2004, 12:46 AM
stop making reels and start learning something, whether it be modelling, animation or just generally anything. A reel`s purpose is to demonstrate the "skills" you have learnt over a given period of time. This however demonstrates you have just picked up a 3d package and dont know what to do with it. But hey ho! "Give us a tick man!"

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.