PDA

View Full Version : --Facial Animation Questions, Please Help!!!

lenny_bruce
11-24-2004, 04:13 AM
I am currently working on setting up a head for facial animation. I am using blendshapes to get the job done. I知 trying to figure out how to set up my character so that he can make facial expressions and make mouth movements for speech. However I can稚 seem to figure out how to make the different blendshapes work in conjunction with one another and yet not effect each other. I知 using the parallel option for blend shapes and when I try to set 2 blends at a value of one they morph into something half way between the two. For example if I have a character who is talking, and scowling at the same time how do I set him up so that the blendshapes that are controlling the movement of the mouth do not effect the movements of the facial expressions and visa versa? I知 sorry if this doesn稚 make sense, I知 trying to explain it the best I can. If anyone can help me figure this out it would be great, also if any one knows of a good tutorial on facial rigging I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Jerocide
11-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Well, hopefully someone will come along with a better answer, but I've had a similar problem on a few blendshapes. The solution to my problem was reodering the order of operation for the inputs. To do this, you right click on your mesh and open up the inputs. I think it's show all inputs or something like that. Then you can drag the blendshapes in a different order and test it out.The bottom is calculated first, so modeling history would need to stay under the blendshapes (if you didn't all the history first.) I hope that makes sense. This fixed my problem, where I had one blendshape that would override all the others. I know this isn't the same problem (although I'm not quite sure what you mean exactly), but hopefully the solution helps. Good luck!

-Jeremy

nottoshabi
11-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Ok. When ever working with blndshapes you have to be carefull of what you model to what. For example model your frown on a seperate target then the Ahh. Also you might want to do individual sides for each scowling movement and eyes lids. Just remember to alwas go back to the original head when you duplicate for targets. Also make sure that the face is in a neutral pose, no facial expresion none so ever.

Good luck :bounce:

lenny_bruce
11-29-2004, 09:03 PM
I haven稚 had a problem with the order of my blendshapes. In the blendshape options box all I did was select the parallel option so that all my blendshapes have the same hierarchy. I guess what I need is just a really good tutorial on how to rig for facial animation. The problem that I知 running into right now has to do with combining facial expressions and mouth movements that make up speech. Example If my character is making an 徹 sound with his mouth and scowling at the same time how do I use both blendshapes without one effecting the other? I知 having this problem because when I set up the blendshape for the 徹 mouth movement the eyes and forehead are in a neutral pose. On the other hand when I set up the scowl blendshape the mouth is a neutral pose. So basically when I set the scowl slider all the way to 1, my character will scowl, but if I try to set the 徹 slider to 1 while the scowl slider is still at 1 the scowl will become less prominent. I need to know if there is a way to overcome this problem?

P.S. What are targets?

Thanks.

nottoshabi
11-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Yes there is a way around that prob. Basically thats what happens when you model to targets pe head. One effects the other. Here (http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/3ddocs/lipsync/lipsync.html) is a good tutorial on blendshapes. Of the top of my head thats all I can think of. Is there any way you can send me the file? I can take a look at it for you then send it back to you.
@> nottoshabi@yahoo.com / or nottoshabi@hotmail.com thru the messenger.

P.S. Targets are modeled blendshapes. Example if you modeled an "Ohh" then that perticular head model is called a target.

rabban
12-08-2004, 03:29 AM
did you move the inputs of the skincluster elsewhere?
always worked for me...untill now.

http://img41.exs.cx/img41/1511/skincluster2ca.png

sorry if the pic was not needed...i'm glad to finally be able to post pics is all :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.