PDA

View Full Version : Impression, Jordan Sourtchev (3D)

Jordano
11-23-2004, 09:07 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/68809/68809_1101244064_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/68809/68809_1101244064.jpg)

Title: Impression
Name: Jordan Sourtchev
Software: (Other)

One twisted art work with mixed elements!
Original terrain made in Terragen.Original file by Olivier/hillrunner.
Original size 6400 x 3500 pix.Mixed elements and a lot of painting in Photoshop.
I wanted to create one of those nice and hot evenings.I was fully inspired by the music of Jean Michel Jarre. I am happy with the result but your comments are always welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

vlad74
11-24-2004, 01:23 AM
I think this one diserves the front page. It is amazing and really really beautiful. The colours are just so well combined. 5***** from me.

Jordano
11-24-2004, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the comment! You are very generous!

arona
11-24-2004, 01:33 AM
very beautiful. looks like some scenes in films but more beautiful than most of them.

unwrap
11-24-2004, 01:36 AM
I have no idea how terragen works, so I cant crit this one :) .
Looks very real and so much stunning though.

unwrap
11-24-2004, 01:39 AM
Yeah, ideal for compositing, if you want to make, for example, flying plane animation, you can put this in the background :thumbsup: .

Jordano
11-24-2004, 01:47 AM
Yes!

You can animate images(landscapes) or imitating a flying camera in Terragen!

unwrap
11-24-2004, 01:57 AM
I'm sure its not recuired. If the landscape is too far from the camera, you can animate the background by just moving it in 2D mode. Stuff like the rock you've got there can be done in a different layer (animated though) and it's possible to pull of the animation, i mean it's all about the compositing layers.

BTW, how long did it take to render this at that resolution you said.
Looks so beautiful, I've put it on my desktop and can't get my eyes off LOL :deal: .

Leonard
11-24-2004, 06:37 AM
Really nice work!

Just wondering, are the trees and foliage 2D elements composited in? Does Terragen handle foliage?

Leonard

c0rtex
11-24-2004, 10:14 AM
I can't believe this! It looks so real and beautiful!

Top work.

Jordano
11-24-2004, 11:33 AM
@sergage - Thanks for the comments! I would like to explain a lot about the program but I think if you download the demo you will find some answers. Just go to: http://www.planetside.co.uk/. Just to let you know that Terragen is a program in progress. The new and the first version will be on the market in 2005. So, you will have to download some plug-ins to have some great possibilities.
There is a good site where I am a member too and we have the biggest Terra community:
http://www.Renderosity.com .My advice: Wait for the official version next year! You will have some extra possibilities to combine your work with some of the top 3d programs: Cinema4d,3DMax,Maya.
@Leonard - Thanks for your comment! Yes ,those elements are 2d and I did spend a lot of time painting some of them and combine them in Photoshop. But the official version of Terragen will have all those possibilities to import and create all this as 3d elements. Now,a complex image can be created only with additional 3d programs or 2d programs and some post work in PS.

Assaultor
11-24-2004, 04:08 PM
well since nice thing has already been said, i would just say...well...indeed nice detail you have there. good work. :)

As for the critics, personally i feel that this image looks like 7:30-8:00am in the morning because of the placement of the sun...however the terrains looks like a cloudy day during afternoon. esp the bottom right corner where the front layer of mountain is. The shading make it obviously a layer instead of a whole piece of work. Also the birds are a bit to sharp...not sure about it thou. Just feel that the shading on the birds doens't goes so well. The long strip of clouds on top also quite bothers me...it just doesn't look as natural. But that's just me. Overall i pretty like the forest and terrain generated and painted. Thumbs up! :D

Jordano
11-24-2004, 06:58 PM
@Assaultor (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=35716) vbmenu_register("postmenu_1758396", true); : Thanks for your comment! Just as a joke:"Do you always think like that for everything in your life?"
Now,about the critics! As I have explained above I wanted to create one of those hot evenings but not to create a photography. So,some window of doing art is allowed I guess.The terrain is not full as I had some post work on the far land.The smokes you see or the lower colouds are to create a mystical or different feelings you do not usualy see. For exmpl.In the "Lord of the rings" most of the matte pantings have been done as you know by hand and by artists. If they wanted to create a reality we would not have the "Lord of the rings"!
About the birds colour I can agree about that as I think it needs to be done better.About the sharpness I can not agree because in the art as a principal: Every subject or object as the nearest in a composition should be crisp as an image.Therefore any blur or motion blur efects should not apply.It can create unnatural perspective feelings!

About the green parts in the foreground: It si not a CGwork. It is a 2d material and has been mixed and edited in PS. I think I have already explained that above!

Thanks again !

GekiSan
11-24-2004, 09:18 PM
I think this one diserves the front page. It is amazing and really really beautiful. The colours are just so well combined. 5***** from me.
Nothing to add, really awesome work. :)

Takara
11-25-2004, 08:50 AM
that looks so absolutly believable and real

cermit
11-25-2004, 02:52 PM
amazing piece of art..only right bottom corner (above the rocks) bothers me...The trees look like they are pasted. In my opinion they do not fit perfectly the whole scene.

teapot028
11-29-2004, 02:36 AM
imposibal......faint

hillrunner
11-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Simply an awesome work !

rafaela3rivieres
02-11-2005, 11:55 AM
amazing, thanx:)

Ikerchan
02-15-2005, 05:16 PM
I used terrengen also...is a very great program to create enviroment in 3D.
Mhhh...add on with some bird could be create a great 3D stills.
A nice work to combination with natural.

Darkoo
02-15-2005, 08:06 PM
hey....halla 3ammi...

i'm from jordan too....nice job dude...keep on... O hay 5 stars ;)

really coooooool

AVM
02-16-2005, 02:59 PM
it is really excelent.:scream:

bdixon
02-18-2005, 12:37 AM
This is absolutely breath taking and so realistic. Very nice work.

JCFrog
02-21-2005, 08:47 PM
marvelous!
bigger resolution would be so appreciated!

absolutely brilliant. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

tonyjyothis
03-01-2005, 06:11 AM
I loved the the green and all the colours blending together in perfect harmony ....... It was a cool relief for my eyes ......... Nothing to crit about as I have no exposure in terragan .....

tonyjyothis
03-01-2005, 06:25 AM
I loved the the green and all the colours blending together in perfect harmony ....... It was a cool relief for my eyes ......... Nothing to crit about as I have no exposure in terragan .....

ynottry
04-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Charming vista! Almost velvety terrain. Beautiful work! :)

thatoneguy
04-14-2005, 02:08 AM
As you said, things can always be better. Two parts I would do some work on is the matte on the tree in the bottom rightish. It is too blue around the outside. You'll probably have to hand paint that. Somthing that could use some attention is the sand (screen right) compared to the rest it is underdetailed.

Impressive pic.

inkydigit
05-19-2005, 04:21 PM
top quality stuff jordan!excellent pov, and I love the postwork!:)

BlueFlare
12-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Two parts I would do some work on is the matte on the tree in the bottom rightish. It is too blue around the outside.Yes, looks like an extracted tree from a photograph. I'm not so fond of the birds, the lighting looks artificial.

Still, all in all a nice image, well done!

mr-miley
05-06-2006, 01:04 AM
Glad to see a fellow Terragener here :) Outstanding work, really nicely done. The grass textures and where the grass fades into the sand in the centre are really nice. did you use bitmaps for the grass or procedurals? Were the trees put on in photoshop or are they 3d?

Not too keen on the birds mindyou, but thats personal preference :)

Definately a 5* from me

creARTo
05-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Oh yes :-) When I see this picture I can hear the sound of the the music of Jean Michel Jarre :-)

CGTalk Moderation
05-06-2006, 05:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.