PDA

View Full Version : Looking for crits

titaniumdave
11-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Alright so I just started working on my third and longest dialog scene and was hoping for some advice from you guys. I'm only about 2 hours in with just my extremes done and very few inbetweens done (working on that right now) but I was hoping to get some opinions on what I have so far and advice on how to improve it.

http://www.animateddave.com/first%20pass.mov

vrljc
11-23-2004, 08:04 PM
The biggest thing that stood out @ first is your use of line of action. You have only one line, and that is straight up and down. Try bending the spine and using spine reversals; they give a LOT of flexibility to your character and will start to loosen things up a bit. Do you have any old Warner Bro's cartoons laying around? Look at them and notice how much they will use spine reversals, especially when the character switches from looking left to right.

Your character is also looking straight into the camera. Rotate your character 30-45 degrees so you can get a nice 3/4 view, but also remember to keep those silhouettes.

Here is a little tip I picked up from a Disney animator this past fall....spend 90% on your extremes and key poses, and only about 10% in the graph editor tweening.

Keep going!

-jon

titaniumdave
11-30-2004, 12:31 AM
Hey jon thanks for the crits. I tried adding more spine movement in but I don't think its there yet. Anyways heres a new update with more inbetweens done.

http://www.animateddave.com/second%20pass.mov

vrljc
11-30-2004, 05:21 AM
You have definately found where the gestures are in the piece, thats for sure. :)

However, your key poses are not there yet. Consider going back and redoing your lines of action. In certain sections of your dialogue, there are some more relaxed moments (which would yield a more slumped/relaxed line) and there are some more excited moments (which would yield a more upwards/stronger, curved line). These lines of action will give your guy a lot more attitude and emotion.

Then by doing this, it will give you some more spine reversals and, it will move the hips around. Remember that all of your weight comes from the hips.

Have you acted out the dialog in front of a mirror yet? Try it and be super duper over exagerated with it, just so you can flesh out those key poses.

And just a small note, when he mentions "leaving a left turn indicator on" he looks to his right....just something to think about.

-jon

StuartVarrall
11-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Hey, I agree, it's a good start but i'd say your concentrating on the finer points too soon, and not the genral body movement.

It's how the main body moves, from the hips, that will define the poses of the character. This motion will work its way out through the body to the fingers, not the other way round.

For instance the first line 'who among us', he should make a forwards movement to try and connect with his audience, twist his whole body as if he were speaking to a big crowd and trying to talk to everyone.

Not only will motions like this make your current poses more extreme and add interest it will give you better visual feedback on the timing and readabilty of the animation at this early stage.

keep it up,

stu

disrupt
11-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Hey dave you really need to get this guy moving around if you are going to show his whole body in the shot. He looks like a statue from the waist down. His feet are cemented to the floor. Honestly I see no reason to stage it this way. Do something more interesting. Maybe have him leaning against a street sign, with a camera shot from the waist up. Or have him sitting on the hood of a car (you can find lots of free models of cars). Anything is better than a character just standing in an empty scene. But it's a good rule of thumb to not include anything in your shot that you are not using. Like you legs and feet, if they aren't being used then don't show them.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.