PDA

View Full Version : My blendshapes are exploding :(

LauraSkowronski
11-23-2004, 07:06 AM
I hope this is relevant and an 'ok' place to post about this problem. I'm not a frequent flyer so I'd appreciate feedback (positive and negative) or please point me where to go.

I'm running into some problems with some blendshapes. I have a character that is 5800 vertices which I duplicated and created several blendshapes. I've done this before. However, this time, to save time, I went ahead and copied certain parts which I wanted to use on the other side (this is a somewhat asymmetrical character; but say for instance that I wanted a blendshape with the right eyebrow rising, and I already sculpted the left. What I did was I took the portion of the face that I wanted from the left (using duplicate, deleted faces I didn't need) then scaled at a -1 x value (for mirror effect), then moved it on top of the blendshape for the right side, and deleted the faces from that geometry so that the mirrored piece would fit in. I then combined the mirrored piece from the left side and the entire right side geometry so that I could merge vertices. I made sure I ended with exactly 5800 vertices).

Anyway. If I haven't already confused you, my problem is this:
When I create the blendshape and test out the slider for the right side (for example, the eyebrow rising), the geometry explodes. It just goes everywhere. A friend of mine suggested it's because I deleted faces and re-added them, and even though it was the correct number of faces and all the appropriate vertices were merged, there is a history of idenity on each of the vertices, and if you delete some, the identifications are recalculated or something. Is there a script or some kind of node I can change, or an attribute, that might help me solve this without having to start over?

Please let me know. All comments are appreciated!

-Laura

john_homer
11-24-2004, 01:27 AM
...What I did was I took the portion of the face that I wanted from the left (using duplicate, deleted faces I didn't need) then scaled at a -1 x value (for mirror effect), then moved it on top of the blendshape for the right side, and deleted the faces from that geometry so that the mirrored piece would fit in. I then combined....
basically that is something you should never do with polys that you want to blendshap..
blendshape workes based on vert ordering, that is to say that when you apply a blendshape it moves vert1 on the base mesh to the position of vert1 on the target mesh, ect (for each vert)

when you break up the mesh and recombime it you are reordering the verts ( how could maya kno what order you want)

the only solution is to reorder all the heads to be the same.
not a function maya has ;(
however there is a plugin on highend3d.com call reconstructMesh (i think) that will do it..
it is a bit sketchy, but does work.

for future blendShape creation, check out the mel scripts on highend3d.com for doing it without this problem
.j

Jerocide
11-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Geez, nice going Laura. You're not Purdue caliber, nuh uh.
I'm jeest keeding!

-Jeremy W

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.