PDA

View Full Version : VARIETY: ILM's Work on 'War of the Worlds' (Insane deadline)

RobertoOrtiz
11-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Quote:
" In the latest risky adventure in high-budget filmmaking, Steven Spielberg has started shooting "The War of the Worlds," starring Tom Cruise (news (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/DailyNews/celeb/*http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?fr=news-storylinks&p=%22Tom%20Cruise%22&c=&n=20&yn=c&c=news&cs=nw)), in New Jersey locales including Bayonne, Howell, Newark and upstate New York.

In the first weeks of shooting, production included action sequences with alien forces bombing streets, ripping up sidewalks and blasting apart buildings in industrial-type areas.

The problem is simple -- Spielberg's contempo version of a Martian invasion is supposed to be in theaters on June 29, less than eight months after the Nov. 7 start of lensing. That's a fast turnaround for any production, much less a summer tentpole containing 500 f/x shots. "

>>Link<< (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1940&ncid=2020&e=11&u=/variety/20041121/va_fi_ne/spielberg_must_fight__war__fast)

-R

dmonk
11-22-2004, 09:56 PM
That Article says if anyone can pull off a 70 day shoot it's Spielberg..................but, does it matter ifthey finish the shoot or not if the effects aren't done in tie?

This seems like a ton of fx in such a little bit of time. I am no industry expert, but isnt' this a bit much even for ILM?

slaughters
11-22-2004, 10:25 PM
They'll probably just use the "Render Martian Invasion" button that comes with their 3D software package. :)

t-toe
11-22-2004, 11:56 PM
my guess is that if ILM begins to doubt if they can meet the dealine, they'll farm out a few of the shots to various smaller VFX companies, such as The Orphanage. that's what many of the summer blockbusters did this year, i.e. "Day After Tomorrow".

beaker
11-23-2004, 12:02 AM
That Article says if anyone can pull off a 70 day shoot it's Spielberg..................but, does it matter ifthey finish the shoot or not if the effects aren't done in tie?

This seems like a ton of fx in such a little bit of time. I am no industry expert, but isnt' this a bit much even for ILM?ILM gets as large as 1200ish people and they can work on 4-5 movies at one time with that. I think they will be just fine.

Lord3d2
11-23-2004, 12:06 AM
and will do amazing as usual

dmonk
11-23-2004, 12:20 AM
I'm sure you guys are right. It just seems like a lot. for that time frame. I was thinking something like war of the worlds would be one of those jobs that ILM would take a whole year on.

I can't wait ot see how this comes out!

malducin
11-23-2004, 05:59 AM
Usually, yes they would do like to make it in a year or more. They are big enough to handle it but they have two options. Get two parallel unit with 2 Supes, like they did for Spielberg's A.I. (Muren and Farrar) or farm out some self contained work like they did with Van Helsing (first giving a lot of stuff to Illusion Arts and later others).

TK-007
11-23-2004, 06:44 AM
There's no way this is going to be done in time, this'll probably get pushed back to December. I'm sure it'll have no problem competing against King Kong.

Dirtystimpy
11-23-2004, 07:09 AM
There's no way this is going to be done in time, this'll probably get pushed back to December.
as crazy as it sounds, it'll be out on time.

TK-007
11-29-2004, 06:48 PM
I hope you're right.

Wizdoc
11-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Maybe they'll use stock military training footage for some of the alien invasion shots.

Hey, it worked for Ed Wood. :)

Jackmars
11-30-2004, 02:19 PM
This sounds too great.It'll be out on time,and I got a hunch it'll be one fun flick.Thanks for the info,I had'nt heard of this.:buttrock:

unchikun
11-30-2004, 05:16 PM
Like the article says, if anyone can do it, Spielberg can. He's worked with VFX since ET and Close Encounters.

I think this film might be a new benchmark on getting blockbuster FX films out in record time, on budget and looking better than ever. If the film delivers it will put pressure on other studios, directors, producers to run a tight ship.

Insane deadline for sure, let's keep an eye out for this one.

Als
11-30-2004, 05:59 PM
War of the worlds is amazing subject, I wanted to do a theatre play
based on it. So I have high hopes for it.
After recent events, film subject could be stronger then ever -
considering the huge difference in technogies of war
(most like war in Avganistan).
I hope that the idea is right, and not just silly like "Mars attack" was.
I'm not trying to start political discussion, just to say I hope that the
movie comes up with right messages - horror of war, importance/strenght of hope, etc.
ILM did great job on Pearl Harbor, I expect even better now.
Maybe even if the film has different idea and message,
it will be amazing like most Spielberg movies are.
Sorry if I'm a bit of topic with this message.

Al

slaughters
11-30-2004, 07:21 PM
If I remember the book was more about - Heck it's been too long since I've read the silly thing and I have it all mixed up in my head with the 1950's movie version.

Note: Must go re-read War of the Worlds.

Handy Dandy Link to book: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/3/36/36-h/36-h.htm
(Don't you just love Project Gutenberg!)

Joe_H
12-01-2004, 12:15 PM
It just seems like a lot. for that time frame.It's a ridiculous time frame. But look no further than Episode I and II. ILM had quite a bit longer to do those effects work, but they also had 2000 shots to complete all by themselves, which is just insane. When you do that many effects, you have less and less time to perfect each shot. I'm still stunned at the FX work ILM did on those two films considering the time they had to complete such and insane number of shots, with no help.

There's a new webdoc on Hyperspace that has a 5 second completed shot of the wookie homeworld Kashyyk, and it looks incredible with the combination of miniatures, real backgrounds, and CG.

mbaldwin
12-01-2004, 02:28 PM
WOTW is filming in our neighborhood now--Brownstone Brooklyn. My wife was taking our kids to school yesterday to find one block of Carrol Street devistated, with cars turned over and debris all over the street. It might have gone unnoticed if it wasn't for the film equipment.(pause for laughter).

Actually Brooklyn's a beautiful city. Next time anyone's in NYC, don't overlook the joint. It's worth hanging out for the day.

siouxfire
12-01-2004, 03:03 PM
If anyone's interested to listen to Orson Welles' radio version of War of the Worlds, you can listen to it HERE (http://www.unknown.nu/mercury/) There's also an interview with Orson Welles and H.G. Welles together that's pretty interesting.

As for insane deadlines, I'm sure ILM will handle it. I just hope that it doesn't raise expectations unreasonably for smaller effects companies.

Boone
12-01-2004, 11:38 PM
I know for a fact that one UK based company is working on WOTW for it's visuals - I ain't saying anymore, though. I may get my knuckles wrapped... ;)

rendermania
12-02-2004, 12:18 AM
Come on folks. The shoot/VFX were probably planned meticulously in advance - shot by shot most likely, with some good people working on the planning - and maybe the major CG models/effects etc are pretty much ready to deploy, just waiting for the filmed backplates to come in. If stuff is being done for the movie in London SoHo/the UK, that makes things really easy as well probably. Doesn't burden ILM with smaller effects shots/touch up jobs, of which there probably are many in such a production.

Another thing Spielberg can use to his advantage is that he can cut away from action/VFX shots to family/character/dialogue scenes for much longer than lesser directors. He does that stuff well, whereas a crappier director might need a new effects shot every couple of minutes to keep the plot moving.

malducin
12-02-2004, 02:25 AM
The shoot/VFX were probably planned meticulously in advance - shot by shot most likely, with some good people working on the planning
Spielberg is famous for extsenvily storyboarding his whole movies before shooting.

Doesn't burden ILM with smaller effects shots/touch up jobs, of which there probably are many in such a production.
I'm thinking they will do it like in Van Helsing where quite a bit of work was farmed out.

As for insane deadlines, I'm sure ILM will handle it. ... But look no further than Episode I and II. ILM had quite a bit longer to do those effects work, but they also had 2000 shots to complete all by themselves,
Well for the busy Summer season they usually work on 3, 4 or 5 movies at a time. The workload is not insane (ther schedule is though) since they have done it before: while they were working on Ep. 1 they also worked on The Mummy which was a big show; for Ep. 2 at the end they were already working on Minority Report.

and maybe the major CG models/effects etc are pretty much ready to deploy, just waiting for the filmed backplates to come in.
Well probably only minor since this project was greenlit and fast tracked until very late. They could also be doing things in parallel while the shooting goes on, maybe a second VFX Supe, like Scott Farrar did in A.I.

I ain't saying anymore, though. I may get my knuckles wrapped...
Don't make me go there and give you a good head knubbin' and piledriving ;-)

Dirtystimpy
12-02-2004, 06:48 PM
I hope you're right.
http://www.waroftheworlds.com/

Boone
12-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Re: Malducin.

In the blue corner I have digit-al injury...and the red corner, I face the rest of my life eating hospital food....surely this isn't the most difficult question I've ever been asked? :sad:

AHA! :lightbulb

Here it is - when ILM's workload gets too hairy, they ring a certain person's number...that person being "Boone". They threaten to flush his head down the toilet and snatch his entire DVD collection unless he cooperates. :cry:

*this post is totally untrue and cannot be used against me in a court of law. Always read the small print. Thank you.*

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.