PDA

View Full Version : Hardware specs for animated short

Warnabrotha58
11-22-2004, 12:12 AM
Hi, I am working on an animated short and I am wondering what type of computer and graphics card I would need to complete about a 30 min. short in about 7-9 months. I am mainly talking about rendering times. Also is it best to buy and aftermarket rendering program or keep the one packaged with your software. Thank you for your time.

imashination
11-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Not really a reply to your question because you didn't give us your budget, but are you sure a 30 minute short is realistic? Far better to go for a few minutes of quality work than half an hour of junk.

philbert
11-22-2004, 02:24 PM
here's the fun part

lets say you render at 24 frames per second (just for arguments sake we'll do film framerates)

thats 1440 frames a minute. Thats 43200 frames in total

If you manage to get a frame render time down to about a minute
it will take you 30 days to render all the frames.

If you are seriously considering doing a 30 minute short you could do with buying a dedicated rendering machine Or two that you can leave rendering all the time while you have a dedicated workstation for working off.

What rendering engine / software are you using?
What is the style / subject matter of your short?

You basically want the fastest ssytem you can afford that lets you use the software tools you want.

Gingerhammer
11-22-2004, 09:49 PM
check out this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4014333.stm

or I'm sure you can find other similar facilities for hire that could help you out.

Then possibly it could cut a nice chunk out of your budget?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.