PDA

View Full Version : Demoreel 2004 / Lighting & Design, François Gutherz (Animation)

fraa
11-19-2004, 05:33 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/8573/8573_1100885605_medium.jpg

Title: Demoreel 2004 / Lighting & Design
Name: François Gutherz
Software: 3ds max, LightWave 3D, RenderDrive

Here is my recent demoreel, mainly showing research in lighting & visual design.
Everything in it comes from my personal work except "TajMahal" & "Lake" sequence (made for a client).
All models are mine except the "Hippie lowpoly girl" by Masami Tanzi (http://www.tanzi.jp) and the "Inkizitor" by Christophe Desse (http://www.xtrm3d.com/).
Thru this work i'm using the versatility of 3DCG in term of graphic design to find something between realism and stylized rendering.
Any feedback is welcome !
(link is above)
Demoreel 2004 - 640x480 - 25Mb MPEG file (http://www.astrofra.com/reel/reel_fra_10_2004.mpg)
Demoreel 2004 - 720x540 - 50Mb QT file (http://www.astrofra.com/reel/reel_fra_10_2004.mov)

traptinmyself113
11-19-2004, 05:53 PM
i love the stialized design...its a great image

siouxfire
11-19-2004, 06:50 PM
Very nice work - great to see such a variety of styles and the music compliments the images well without being too distracting. Excellent stuff, but one tiny, tiny, TINY thing bugs me (no pun intended), but that butterfly doesn't look right - I only notice it because I like that scene so much - it doesn't seem to have enough "flutter" if that makes any sense.

Awesome work - best demoreal I've seen in a while.

xtrm3d
11-19-2004, 08:43 PM
this show reel his amazing .. really fresh and inovative in item of design and lightning ..

please dear moderator make it a frontpage .. this stuff deserv it

for my part i give 5 star

tufnoodle
11-19-2004, 10:27 PM
great stuff
5 stars from me

HapZungLam
11-19-2004, 11:15 PM
fantastic art direction!

Camara rocks and lighting kick ass. I have my sound off when i view it. But I love it very much.

kokillo
11-20-2004, 03:52 AM
Inspiring! You have a much needed creativity. Great demoreel.

mimo8
11-20-2004, 11:49 AM
great great great real

very inspiring
still sitting here scrubbing through it asking myself "how did he do it" or "I want to do that to?" :D

the first shots, the one in the woods and the houses (japan), look like made in a real carboard modell, I love that style so much.
also the sound is well chosen.

one little thing.
there is the scene where the tanks are standing in the fog and the flagg is waving in the middel. in reallity there is no fog when there is such a strong wind. happy that this is not reallity :thumbsup:

stealth76
11-20-2004, 12:04 PM
very good man... i love your style m8...very impressive..

Ac0rN
11-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Great stuff, awesome lightning and rendering... didnt like the cell shading stuff tho (cell shading never appeal to me)

Great work anyway :thumbsup:

francescaluce
11-20-2004, 02:24 PM
wonderful and very inspiring design.
finally someone that is not obsessed by the technical element.. also because of a great talent to manage it.

ciao
francesca

TDT-Digi-Guys
11-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi François

Great work - odd & quirky!

As everyone has said, a refreshing change to a lot of the other CG material out there :thumbsup:

My Boss mentioned you a while ago, but I didn't see the Reel, now I know why he liked it so much. I especially love the box robot (red background).

TDT
Administrator
Digi-Guys

Nelis
11-20-2004, 03:57 PM
i really like your style but i think the presentation of the demoreel itself could use some work.

in the beginning it is very fast with short shots and hard cuts.....could use with some more time in between cuts and more soft cuts...

other than that.....i really like your style but i already told you that.....

greets.

ambas
11-20-2004, 05:26 PM
great stuff! :bounce:

dahiya
11-20-2004, 08:14 PM
just saw this. took an age to download on my excuse of a connection. but yes. worth every ounce of praise.

i see what youre trying to do with music sync but the opening shots could really do with more frames. those are excellent compositions and i think you should show them off a little bit more by showing them later in your film. i know that probably runs the risk of repetition. but then again.

JesseDavis
11-20-2004, 10:09 PM
HA that was one of the coolest artistic reels I've seen. Great job!

fraa
11-21-2004, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the warm feedback everyone !! I Still have a lot of things to learn & practice, but your posts are really encouraging !!!

Siouxfire :
Indeed, the butterfly seems to be out of the scene ? May be I should focus on animation issues before even trying to animate a scene like this one.

Xtrem :
thx christophe ! I just saw your website update, you did so many characters over the past years ! Are you a machine ? :D

Mimo8 : thankx for the tip about wind VS fog, i even didn't know that :oops: Btw, what do your avatar stands for, it looks cool :D

Acorn : Yes, imo too, the cell-shading require more work. I'm more interested in cell-shading when it come to render in real time openGl, these toon tests were done for real time display.

Francescaluce : yes, that's true. CG Technology should always remain invisible, then only we can start to talk about images :)

Digiguy team : wow, thanks for the kind words ! You're doing some incredible stuff with Wardevil !

Nelis, Daihya : mmh, may be the cut is too hard, probably because it's too tied to the music. Guess I have to make a softer synchronisation ...

kid tripod
11-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Top notch.

Really stunning, I'm jealous. Can't really say any more than that.

siouxfire
11-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Fraa, I hope you don't remove that scene with the butterfly because of me! I love the way it pans to reveal the little robot hidden in the shadows - it's just the fluttering of the butterfly's wings seem a little slow to me - it's a tiny issue and it's probably just me, but that little bit is annoying me.

externe
11-22-2004, 02:16 PM
C'est excellent. J'aime bcp ton style lowpoly/cartoon.
Quel dommage que ta vidéo soit en .mpg, tu perds perds bcp en qualité. Tu devrais l'encoder en QT/sorenson.

Spady
11-24-2004, 11:23 PM
Wow! I finally got to see your complete reel!
One thing, the motion of the butterfly doesn't look that natural to my eyes.
Another thing would be the flickering in one of the hellboy shot, it's too short for anyone
to understand what's really happening :)
Otherwise, great original piece of art!

cubizmo
11-25-2004, 05:14 PM
5 stars.

amazing work... I love this edgy style so much, and the lighting is pretty good... Just downloading your reel.

keep up the amazing work!

greetings
aleks

cubizmo
11-25-2004, 05:16 PM
update.

after viewing the demo reel, you have officially entered my all stars hall of fame. :)

amazing.

EdHarriss
11-30-2004, 01:59 AM
- Nice work. I really like the shots that look like minature sets. They are great!
- I agree with the comments about the opening cuts switching too fast and the flickering hellboy.
- The reel is nice in that it's different from most and it has calm music. (A rare thing)

SkullboX
11-30-2004, 02:37 AM
Amazing stuff. Everything has a very strong mood and a unique feel to it and I totally agree with your sentiments regarding style and realism.

Like many before I thought it was a shame some of the shots in the first part were cut so fast, and I also felt the Taj Mahal (kind of) building was really out of place and not up to par with the rest. Other than that it's great.

... and I was wondering, what music is that?

Demalii
11-30-2004, 02:46 AM
This is an awesome video. You have a great artistic mind.. everything seems to have a different touch of imagination to it, good work!

pur9e
11-30-2004, 02:48 AM
The problem with the vast majority of cg nerds is that they don't know stellar design when it up and bites them on the ass. Such a refreshing take; we're always drowning in the photoreal and corny. Kudos.

zeb
11-30-2004, 03:23 AM
Finally :)

Damn it's so good to see all that together... From my point of view, you should take away the lake thing, it's not matching your style.
But overall your demo rocks, like the editing and your great lighting...You already know that

Keep going :)

cg219
11-30-2004, 04:35 AM
Wow, great reel. I love your style. I like to see some different things. Nice job. Keep it up.

neonhomer
11-30-2004, 04:52 AM
I really like the style of the tanks and some of the misc characters. They remind me somewhat of the work of niels jansson (kay-kay.com).

On a side note what is the music from? The piano sounds so familar but like it's from something other than the other music.

Keep up the good work. :)

Dave Black
11-30-2004, 05:58 AM
Damn. Really impressive.

I don't usually respond to plugs, but I just wanted to get in here and slap you on the back. Great job. Lovely lighting, eerie and beautiful all at once.

I say leave the more realistic outdoors pieces. It shows you have a broader scope than just your own style.

Again, I loved it all. I'm going to go watch it again. :D

-Dave

Pufferfish
11-30-2004, 06:38 AM
Great stuff you got there! I really like it. You surely know how to use lights and colors for creating different moods and feelings.

-jari

Tilstrom
11-30-2004, 08:31 AM
i like your style, great work on the reel. :)

Kanga
11-30-2004, 09:30 AM
Very nice stuff!

It's another side of 3d that is very appealing, I think also there is a great market for it.
Well done!

Hexodam
11-30-2004, 09:50 AM
STYLE

thats what this is:thumbsup:

Jameslsy
11-30-2004, 09:51 AM
Superb lighting! They shine amazingly!

sonicstrawbery
11-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Amazing ! I saw your site some times ago and i really liked it, your style and how you play with lighting... we can feel with your work that there's so much possibilities in CG.

This reel is great mate, keep innovating because you do it well !

Good luck for the next :applause:

F0sT
11-30-2004, 10:33 AM
f*c*ing great : )
enfin tu sais deja ce que je penses de ta 3D ;)

5 * * * * *

aghill
11-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Great stuff. impressive style. I think you got some neat things going on there:)

Whos made the music? I love that too:)

fraa
11-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Wowowow, frontpage plugged! :p

First i'd like to thank Ed Harris for his excellent book "How to get a Job in Computer Animation", i found countless of precious advices in it.

Hey Zeb, long time no see, i guess California suits you more & more :) Thx for the kind words !

Pufferfish, i was blown away by your ALien Landscape ! Great technical skills to create a very personnal vision, i love this !

Fost, thx pal!

The music "rapt: in the evening air" comes from an album by Art of Noise : the Seduction of Claude Debussy (i love AON)

e338
11-30-2004, 11:44 AM
... comme quoi il ne fallait pas désespérer mec ! :)
Très chouette de voir tout ça bout à bout, ça fonctionne bien.
bon courage pour la suite.
A quand le court métrage???

rbgallinera
11-30-2004, 11:48 AM
saw the reel...and found it impressive...
i like the way you use the colours combined with the lighting to convey the sense of mood.
rather unique style.

Tuba
11-30-2004, 12:08 PM
great stuff man!

i love the room with the hanging light bulb! awesome look..

mimo8
11-30-2004, 12:09 PM
took a while till thisone found its way to the frontpage
congrats fra :thumbsup:

SuperRune
11-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi François! It's wonderful to see your beautiful scenes in motion - very inspiring! Cheers, Rune :)

Q_B
11-30-2004, 02:34 PM
Marvellous work! Congratulations!

Now ... where is that yellow lego-kind-of robot with the power cord stuck in? humm? hummm?

Congrats again!

Remi
11-30-2004, 03:21 PM
Fra....sup sucka....i've got this bad boi on my HD so I didn't have DL it....but I did have to chime in a show support for such a talented french man:) Kick ass work bro...keep it up:):arteest:

DAREONER
11-30-2004, 03:37 PM
cé mortel, ta vraimment un style qui tape bien entre 2d et 3d.

pasto
11-30-2004, 04:57 PM
Congrats Fra, c'est toujours aussi beau.

pasto

PS :Cela dit il y a pas grand chose de nouveau...
qu'est ce que tu fous bordel :D

SkullboX
11-30-2004, 05:02 PM
The music "rapt: in the evening air" comes from an album by Art of Noise : the Seduction of Claude Debussy (i love AON)
Thanks man. The link with "Claude Debussy" makes it no wonder I liked the music, he made some awesome classical music. Keep up the kickass work!

teflonron
11-30-2004, 05:06 PM
WOW...Amazing work! I'm in love with 3D all over again! Thanks

boottz
11-30-2004, 05:11 PM
beautiful I work here.
I liked the illumination a lot and of the atmospheres mainly
incredible and inspiring same.

b.

goldfishy
11-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Great Reel. Your design is very appealing. If you don't animate, please please team up with someone who does and breath some life into these sets. Your cardboard looking ones are the strongest, IMO. Nice job!

Just a few criticisms that I think would help make your reel much stronger. First, you have tons of noise and it's really distracting. The grain is cool to an extent and I think you can keep it, just get rid of the chattering when the camera pans. Shadows especially.

Also, it looks like you're layering still images over the moving camera in some shots (e.g. swinging lightbulb shot) which is a bit distracting when the camera moves. If you track them, you can keep the benefit of adding that extra richness, but you won't distract our eyes as easily.

Lastly, your lighthouse/moon shot stands out. It doesn't feel as dimensional as everything else. I'd work on the lighting more. And the moon doesn't have parallax with the trees as I'd expect: seems to stand still, which feels odd.

Despite these small criticisms, this reel totally rocks. Superb design and atmosphere.

AIPh Pretzel
11-30-2004, 05:46 PM
Downloaded. And how!

Totoro
11-30-2004, 07:28 PM
Wow, I really like the stylized design. It's a different and a fresh approach to 3d. The lighting and colors are very good it really send out some emotions.
I like the whole sphere of the reel.

zenigeva
11-30-2004, 10:13 PM
wow i loved it!! very very individual sense of style... i love that the heavy stylized characters and environments are lit and rendered so photographically ...

pabloD
11-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Love the stills. Downloading the movie now.

Great look. Great feel.

strangelife
11-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Really interesting style. Some nice models and really groovy set designs. A really well balanced reel. Cheers.

MarvWiersch
11-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Very Urban! I like very much. Reminds me of Kid robot stuff. :)

loocas
12-01-2004, 01:48 AM
Very nice! I loved it from the very begining to the very end! I especially liked the color scheme and the cartoonish characters! http://www.cgtalk.com/images/rating/rating_5.gif from me dude! Excellent work! :thumbsup:

lighting_bug
12-01-2004, 02:51 AM
Great work! I like this kind of color very much!

But what is the "RenderDrive"? I haven't heard of it.

pascal_blanche
12-01-2004, 05:04 AM
Salut Francois, tu sais deja ce que je pense de ton boulot... :thumbsup:

keep it up!

anex700
12-01-2004, 06:23 AM
Love the style and feel of your work. Excellent "handmade" feel. Beautiful shots...nicely framed and timed.

Cheers on getting front page!!

--dinky--

HenningK
12-01-2004, 06:47 AM
Good design. Good music. The lighthouse in the woods shot bugs me, even though its what, 1.5 seconds? That set hasn't reached the point of balance and beautiful simplicity that the others have. It looks like you just threw it in cause you had it.
Something else I dont think belongs is the Hellboy stuff, because its not your design. So what are you showing off there? The cell shader? Your modeling?
love,hen

insseuv
12-01-2004, 10:46 AM
Fraa, your work is amazin and I like the ambiant and atmosphère you created

PS : et dire que tu habites à seulement 100 km de chez moi, rhaa quand est ce qu'on se fait une session ? (je déconne bien sur, quoique....) :thumbsup:

marciy
12-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Good job!!! I like this style:)

fraa
12-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Thx again for the comments & constructive critics ! I was away for a time and couldn't answer as quickly as i wanted !

E338 : hehe, thx ! Making a short, why not ? I'm currently working with realtime techniques.

Rune : Thx for the word !
Hey people, if you don't know Rune's work already, go have a look ! THe guy proves us that it's possible to master image such as to make CG unoticeable, being in the same time a "tech-minded", 'cause he started CG by coding a quality ray-tracer from scratch ! Bravo !

Q8B : yeah yeah, I know, the yelo bot should be in the demoreel. Next time next time :')

Remi : thx my Incision bro'

DAreoner : merci à toi pour tes boulots & making of qui sont sources d'inspiration constante pour moi !

Pasto : eeugh, yep, nothing really new in quite a while. I got married lately, that used to keep me busy :P

Goldfishy : Thx for the critics ! Agreed, the noise is sometimes unwanted, I still have to learn about the "rendertime VS quality issue". Sometimes, noise/layers are part of the picturality, especially on stills, but they need to be lowered/camera-tracked as you said ! And lot's of flaws in the lighthouse part. Zeb told me that ages ago :')
Work with an animator, yap, good idea ! I which I could find some animator who copes with LW ! Maybe Ryan Hagen ? :D

lighting_bug :
Renderdrive is one of the first hardware renderers i've ever seen on the market. It's, "simply", an array of dedicated CPUs able to compute massive raytracing. This magic box uses Renderman to communicate with Max or Maya, thus it works like any 3rd party renderer. It comes with physically accurate materials, and, again, is amazingly efficient when it comes to cast a lot of rays. Dof, moblur, reflection, refraction, glossiness, secondary illumination, everything is REAL, you don't need to fake anything. And with all options set to the max, it can prove itself unchallenged (such a situation merely occured, that said :p).
Find more info here : http://www.art-render.com

Pascal, merci ! Plus que tes compliments, ton boulot m'a boosté et m'a souvent incité à me dépasser !

HenningK : I understand your concern about the HB sequence, that don't belongs to my own small universe. I decided to insert it in the demoreel because it demonstrates in what extent i'm able to mimic/emulate this kind of graphic style in full 3D. This is what my reel is all about actually : to show a various range of graphic expressions that i'm able to cope with.
Maybe I should quote, even if it's obvious to many, that these HB sequence are not original !
Moreover, I have to admit, the lighthouse is probably my weakest sequence, lots of flaws in it :D
'Next reel i'll take it away !

Insseuv :
bah quand tu veux on va se boire un godet alors, t'as une caisse ? :)

Facial Deluxe
12-06-2004, 10:17 PM
I already have all of your anims on my HD, but I have nothing against a best of ! Great great great work !:buttrock:
Hope to have some news soon my friend !

mv
12-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Very original and beautiful style. Technique completely disappears in favour of content, graphical language and style; and I think, paradoxally, because you set your own technical constraints. Keep up the good work!

toce
12-07-2004, 09:21 PM
indeed, very nice style! Tres poêtique :) and beautiful background music! I'd love to see a short film with the same look.

looking forward to see more of your work...

mexus
01-12-2005, 05:19 PM
I like the style, although I wouldn't focus on the camera moves and cuts and style so much.
I know the camera cuts reflect your personality and a way to approach this demo reel creatively, but it can showcase your lighting a tad bit better by providing the user with more time to critique.

seankeeton
01-21-2005, 11:08 AM
This is fantastic! Really innovative! I agree with the other person who commented that the butterfly doesn't look right. It looks like it is being pulled along rather than flying because it's wings aren't exerting enough energy: they don't bend when they flap or flap enough. But this is a lighting and design demo reel and that's just a little butterfly so what can I say, but terrific, wonderful job! It has great variety and stays interesting and gorgeous throughout.

Artist-Lounge
02-06-2005, 04:09 AM
Hi ..
This is my first post on this site ..
I wanted to congratulate you for your lovely work and a beautiful design which doesn't only seek a realistic look, but a deeper artistic style.

maher@4grey.com

I hope to hear from you.

jackyinter
03-28-2005, 06:03 AM
this is very nice pic, i like it

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2005, 06:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.