PDA

View Full Version : what have you attempted with blender?

thedoc
11-19-2004, 02:43 PM
Hey there,

I've been messing with blender for the past 2 weeks and i must say that i'm getting the hang of it...

I want to know what large scale productions some people have done with blender, what projects and stuff since i've been out of tune with news on blender being a noobie.

i've heard about the spidey 2 one but what else... and i want to see more samples other than the ones which are here!

thanks.

Apollux
11-19-2004, 04:42 PM
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Professionals.156.0.html

TraceR
11-20-2004, 02:06 AM
Apollux, u really gay?? :surprised

pnoland
11-20-2004, 02:25 AM
Apollux, u really gay?? :surprised Was that really necessary?

Anywho, thanks for the link Apollux, never saw those before...just the Spiderman previs work. :)

xeetstreet
11-20-2004, 03:09 AM
Was that really necessary?Are we on the "don't ask, don't tell" policy or something?

Fonix
11-20-2004, 04:46 AM
Are we on the "don't ask, don't tell" policy or something? Just look at his rank.

gabio
11-20-2004, 05:16 AM
he have the right to be, and can say it freely without problem.
I'm not for that but i'm for liberty at least.
-------------
Yes it's used professionnaly, but usually not as main tool. some creazy like to do some special trick in blender and incorpore it in a project.
Exemple: alienware contest last year: a realy cool pic was using the metaball of blender. because they could do faster what he wanted.

Apollux
11-20-2004, 05:55 AM
Apollux, u really gay?? :surprised
:thumbsup: and I am quite proud of it (as you can tell by looking at my rank).

==========

About Profesional Use, it should be mentioned that the Torque Game Engine works with blender, so any profesional game out there that is based on Torque, could be made with Blender.

pnoland
11-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Sorry, it just didn't seem relavent to the topic. Er, like this post. :)

TraceR
11-20-2004, 10:59 PM
lol, ok, np. I dont care. Just wondering. If it works for u it works for me. :rolleyes: But if i get any PMs...:twisted:

bbirras
11-21-2004, 12:46 AM
where are we? KINDERGARDEN?

Be courteous and polite. Show respect to the opinions and feelings of others. Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right. Engage your brain before your mouth. You are responsible for your own words and any harm they may cause. Don't dilute the forums with irrelevant and unnecessary fluff. CGTalk is a professional, moderated forum. It's a place to talk about all things related to computer graphics

flawedprefect
11-23-2004, 02:53 AM
I've created an opener for a disney program. If you like, you can download an MPEG from my personal website:

flawedprefect (http://www.flawedprefect.com)

Just navigate to "showreels" It's the AMTV intro.

paroneayea
11-23-2004, 04:27 AM
Great job flawedperfect! I wouldn't have guessed it was blender, but then again, I guess there is no "blender" style anyway, heh.
But watching it looking for very blender-esque features... those lasers look definetly like they were made with the blender particle system...
Very, very hyper... more so than the most sugary breakfast cereal on the market. I guess that means you were successful. :)

thedoc
11-23-2004, 07:54 AM
i'll certainly take a look at that flawed.... thanks appollux...

thedoc
11-23-2004, 08:18 AM
sorry mate but eevrytghing there looks totaly aftereffects.... which parts are blender?

but it looks cool though

gabio
11-23-2004, 04:24 PM
look there instead:
http://www.flawedprefect.com/showreel/amint.mpg

flawedprefect
11-23-2004, 10:40 PM
re: sorry mate but everything there looks totaly aftereffects.... which parts are blender?

heheheh! VERY keen eye, my friend! Yes, it was composited in After effects, but actually very little was created in AE - pretty much just the sky in the middle sequence, the lasers in the studio sequence, and the animated "AMTV lettering.

Here's a breakdown:
The start - ie: the toast coming out of the toaster - is pure AE. We took the show logo and did some key framed sqaush and stretch.

The middle: One camera move from beginning of street to entering the studio window, rendered in three passes: the toasts; the streetscape, and the sky. The street objects were created in illustrator, then mapped on planes positioned on the streetscape. The buildings are 3d models parented to lattices hand keyed to "bounce" as the camera passes them, and the road is a kind of tube with one edge extruded to a flat plane. I flew the camera over the surface and whizzed all the objects past the camera on a curve to give it that forced horizon.

The end: inside the studio it is almost totally blender. I modelled the set based on the floor plans Disney gave me of the studio. I mapped the cartoons on the surfaces of the TV screens, but Stich and the Recess kids were composited in with AE. And the lasers - sorry guys who thought they were Blender particles, they are actually my bosse's lame attempt at producing a laser effects with just the strip tool in AE! Blender particles would have looked HEAPS better, but due to deadlines and rendertime, we opted for the cheap and easy way out. I also produced another animation for them, found here:

animation station (http://www.flawedprefect.com/showreel/station.mpg)

A much more interesting process went into this one. See if you can guess!

thedoc
11-25-2004, 08:21 AM
hey there...

i think i downloaded the wrong thing there, i went to your site and downloaded your showreel.... it was your site right? it had you smiling everywhere...
The clip i got first had usher, jarule and stuff.... thats where i saw the after effects... got your proper file and i still see after efects there... have you ever rendered something without using the toon shader?

in the other one you used AE to add the new colors in the train did'nt you

flawedprefect
11-26-2004, 06:29 AM
Yes, my showreel has all those tvc commercials for usher and jarule, etc. Most of that was done with After effects, and editied (I am sorry to say) on Media100.

Yes, i have done a clip entirely in Blender without the use of toonshading, also on the showreel page: www.flawedprefect.com/showreel/screen.mpg

Nice try with the guess on how I did the train. I was a bit more complicated than that. ;)

thedoc
11-26-2004, 11:42 AM
hey,

saw your example... neat stuff! How did you do the screen on the top of the escalatetr

flawedprefect
11-28-2004, 11:36 PM
How did you do the screen on the top of the escalatetr
Boy... you really wanted an example ENTIRELY done in blender! lol! Okay, so the movie playing on the screen was an AE file we had lying around - a pepsi promotion. The screen itself was just an extruded lozenge shape with a plane in front of it. All the textures were procedural, and the lighting effects were all in blender. Besides the screen, the only other texturemap used was the sky. This was a test I did for my boss, who wanted to show the screen for shopping centres to a prospective client. It took two nights to render the full 15 seconds (or there abouts) because of all the lighting and refractions effects. Raytracing eats up a lot of resources!

thedoc
11-29-2004, 08:31 AM
whats the sdoftware you used to rpoduce the characters in your showreel? Are you just out of school? you have'nt got a job yet?

thedoc
11-29-2004, 08:33 AM
i see you do a lot of big projects mate, and it's cool to know that you use blender for the most of that,

and you said that it took 2 days rendering that? wow! what sort of spects do you have on your PC?

flawedprefect
11-29-2004, 11:15 PM
what sort of spects do you have on your PC?Easy - I use a Mac. :p

I think it's a G4 with dual 1 GHz processor. That's about all you can say about Macs... I'm on both an ethernet and fibrejet network here at work. I haven't attempted network rendering yet, because I only recently discovered that Blender can actually see mounted drives - I always thought it could only see local folders. Then I discovered the Unix folder system and found all my fibrejet drives and ethernet servers in the /Volumes folder...

It took two days because there were ALOT of reflections and refractions to calculate (did you see all the glass?) I also rendered out to the quicktime Blackmagic 8 bit codec (which is our capture card's codec for digitizing) so that it would be crisp and clear when I showed it to the boss on the monitor.

I don't do a great deal of work in Blender for work (at home I am a hobbyist and use it alot for small side projects), but I do use it like I would any other 3D package, and that's the important thing - there is always some element of composition in the end result for anything You wouldn't make a promotion entirely in 3DS MAX or Maya, but you would use those programs to construct your 3D elements.

We always use a few programs to acheive the end result. (eg: we use Final Cut pro to edit the bed cuts to most TVCs, then export a quicktime reference file to after effects, and "dress it up" with text, sfx, borders, etc. Reimport into FCP and master out)One program's weaknesses are another packages strengths, so by combining them, you get a workflow which gives you a desired result.

I'm not that fresh out of uni - I graduated in 2001 (officially) but have been doing post-production for about 3 years. I am trying to sell the idea of using Blender to my bosses, but one of them is adamant on using Maya because everyone uses it. Also, if you hire a freelancer, you can bet they know either Maya or Max... chances are they don't know Blender. This means if I am sick, or for whatever reason a client takes their work elsewhere, they usually know another studio will know the software the original files were created on. If they have to download Blender (even though it's a miniscule dl) and then learn how to use it - this is a huge inconvenience for them. And most people in this industry work under impossible deadlines. Learning a new software package on the fly is out of the question. Sticking with what's popular is just the status quo.

thedoc
12-02-2004, 10:28 AM
hey there,

okay... so blender is supposed to be hot but its not well supported. I always used to wonder how blender could be so small but be able to compete with maya and stuff. I'll learn it non the less cause of tyhe stuff that i saw in the galleries.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.