PDA

View Full Version : Structure Manager re-write

Jannis
11-19-2004, 09:46 AM
Hi all,

I am realy amazed at the fact that the Structure manager has not seen a single bit of useful update in R9.

It is still next to useless! You can't adjust multiple entries, you can't isolate and hide a selection of points for adjustment. We are missing out on an opportunity of a very useful tool here.

Here we are having a tool that can be updated to become like Maya's Componenent editor.

Here are a few suggestions,

1 Being able to load a selection of points/polys/edges as you paint them, not a selection set only, and hide the rest so that you can adjust their value when you work with vertex maps.

2 Being able for heavens sakes to limit the painting on vertices to 100% and no more. Any vertices you add paint to, must subtract it from others who had it earlier. For the life of me I can't understand why this has not been impimented since version 6 not 9. What exactly is the point of this?

3 Being able to load and read CBs and ajust their value numericaly.

4 Make the numeric values consistent, if they are 0-1 in the Structure manager they must 0-1 everywhere else. Not 0-1 here and 0-100% somewhere else. This is bad workflow design to say the least.

5 Get the tag manager and intergrated into the structure manager. There is no need to do the same thing twice. And before anyone (Kai probalbly) replys that these things can be done with the tag manager, no, they can't.

6 Have a much tighter relatioship between Structure Manager and CB, at the moment they might as well exist in different applications.

7 Being able to load points from the FFD to adjust numericaly.

These are just a few things, I don't want to make this into a huge unrealistic list. But with those things implimented our job for animation and not only character animation would be so much easier.

Finaly, look at how these ideas are implimented in similar editors in Maya, Softimage. Comon guys, it is time to give us some real control here. This is becoming a very seriously powerful application, lets get it better and better.

regards

jannis

moka.studio
11-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Good points Jannis,
I hope you send this to Maxon.
jp

Byla
11-19-2004, 09:56 AM
I totaly and completly agree.

Jannis
11-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Good points Jannis,
I hope you send this to Maxon.
jp
I kind of hope that since Srek is roaming around these boards and if alot of us think that this would be a useful update in the Structure manager, it should give the Maxon guys a clue that this is a popular demand.

I thnk it should be.

regards

jannis

Srek
11-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Hi,
of course i read almost anything in this forum, but to insure that requests and suggestions are noticed please use the suggestions/ideas form on the Maxon website.
This makes sure me and the product manager will get all input when we are looking for requests.
Cheers
Srek

Jannis
11-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Just posted the sugestion to the Maxon suggestions page

regards

jannis

danb
11-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Nice thread Jannis. I totally agree with everything you have said. I barely use the structure manager and usually have it removed from my layout to make room for other things.

I also wish that CB would be better integrated with the structure manager. I really like the control of maya's component editor in relation to assigning weights and such.

Maybe i'll hop on over to maxon's site and also suggest some things. :)

Just also wanted to agree with you on the fact that cinema is becoming quite a powerfull application and i think with just a few tweaks here and there of things like the structure manager it could make leaps and bounds over other apps.

flingster
11-19-2004, 03:02 PM
yup good suggestions jannis...always thought could be improved..but not got experience of other apps to be able to say how really...
doesn't lightwave have some good functionality in this area with spreadsheet like functions...anybody?

flingster
11-21-2004, 03:56 PM
i always also thought the browser part could be improved with some sort of project management type functionality..eg version control or something similar for the soho type setup that c4d user seem to come from...sharing scenes, locking scenes...xrefs...
also liked xsi browser/web thingy they have...seemed very useful..and wasn't just a case of having a web browser! was its dragging dropping and general integration with the app for managing stuff which felt good. object, scene, material catalogs are all good...maybe its just a case of also extending the material catalog system c4d already has..dunno..but definitely seemed like scope for improvement. not sure how much of this has been looked at in R9 though so may have been looked at already.:shrug:

Kirl
11-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Good points!

Nr.3 also goes for edge weighting. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.