PDA

View Full Version : Info bar like in Cinema 4D?

MJV
11-19-2004, 12:26 AM
Hi. I am new to XSI and am wondering if there is anything like Cinema 4D's excellent info bar that interactively tells you what the icon below your cursor does. I'm reading the manuals and yes I could look up the manual every time I come across an icon or menu I don't understand, but it would really speed up learning if there was some little bar of info that told me what it does.

I realize that I can activate the tool and then the info bar at the bottom of the layout will tell me what LMB, MMB, and RMB does, but I'd rather know before I click on something what it does. Seems like it would be a logical enhancement to the mouse button info bar that I see implemented currently.

wurp
11-19-2004, 10:16 AM
I dont think there is such a thing in XSI. I guess you have to stick with the manual. Also, once you learned all the buttons and stuff, would you really want xsi to tell you what they do every time you move your mouse over them?

ChristianFischer
11-19-2004, 11:33 AM
hi mjv.

could you maybe give me an example for a button in xsi that has no tooltip popover and is not self explaining?
i'm not sure if there is really a need for something like that ..

cheers chris

StephanD
11-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Problem is...There are no icons in XSi,Get or Modify is pretty straightforward imo like much of the rest of the layout ;)

Ablefish
11-20-2004, 12:55 AM
There may be a problem if you're not seeing tooltips for most buttons (not menu buttons though) in the interface and editors. There are also tooltips for most of the ops, clusters and elements in the explorer. Where exactly were you feeling they were missing?

MJV
11-20-2004, 01:07 AM
There may be a problem if you're not seeing tooltips for most buttons (not menu buttons though) in the interface and editors. There are also tooltips for most of the ops, clusters and elements in the explorer. Where exactly were you feeling they were missing?
Thanks Ablefish. I don't see any tool tips anywhere. What are the tool tips and where should I see them? I seached the help menu and it turned up nothing for tool tips.

I was thinking that I should see something for the icons in the animation editor for example.

MJV
11-20-2004, 01:20 AM
Ok, I restarted my computer and now the tools tips are working. Thanks Ablefish. That's much better now.

Ablefish
11-22-2004, 03:48 AM
Good to hear. :)

Down the road it can be particularily handy in a few special situations when you need to find out where an op is referencing the construction stack(in the explorer).

MJV
11-22-2004, 04:38 AM
Good to hear. :)

Down the road it can be particularily handy in a few special situations when you need to find out where an op is referencing the construction stack(in the explorer).
Thanks. Unfortunately it doesn't work for very long. Open a few other apps and it stops working. Seems to be a bit finicky. :shrug:

I still think that having the tool tips appear left of the current mouse button info, since there's lots of space there and it's not doing anything, truly interactive instead of the couple of seconds delay, would be a nice improvement.

Ablefish
11-22-2004, 07:04 AM
I know it definitely has to be the application with focus, so if messenger is sitting on top or something like that, the tooltips won't work. I think that's fairly typical of windows programs though. The problem with using the status bar is that the space on the left is used to tell you what tool or filter mode is active, details about the selection, and hints about modifier keys available.

But I wouldn't worry too much, other than the texture editor, XSI doesn't really have a lot of mysterious buttons - it shouldn't take you long to pick them up.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.