PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of the game industry

Dudeman
11-18-2004, 06:53 PM
I have a friend who is approaching 40. And all his values are changing. He doesn't want to be in Games anymore. Although he seemed to have cornered himself into modelling and animation. And animation for film seems too far a reach for him. He also wants to be able to separate his life from his work more.

Edit: This guy also has no college degree. But he is self taught. Senior artist. 9 years in the industry.

I wonder if there are careers out there that could bridge his talents. Working with cg still ofcouse.:)

Do anyone know of a friend that has made this transition?
Or any suggestions?

Dirtystimpy
11-18-2004, 06:59 PM
a 3D instructor wouldn't be a bad gig, I knew someone who taught at an art institute, and only taught around 25 hours a week, and got paid for 40. obviously the money's not as good, but theres less stress and freedom to work on your own stuff.

XLNT-3d
11-18-2004, 07:02 PM
I knew someone who taught at an art institute, and only taught around 25 hours a week, and got paid for 40. obviously the money's not as good, but theres less stress and freedom to work on your own stuff.
If you have a Master's Degree, I think they pay around $40+ per hour. I could be completely wrong, but they do get paid pretty well for what they do.

Equinoxx
11-18-2004, 07:06 PM
there are more areas of CG besides Games & Films you know.
He could look into architectural visualisation, or advertising agencies using 3d, there's a whole range of cg out there.

Dudeman
11-18-2004, 07:12 PM
I forgot to mention this guy has no college degree either. He is self taught. He's a senior artist and in the industry for about 9 years.

johnnyh66
11-18-2004, 07:14 PM
hmmm, that would depend on his portfolio.
I've never worked in games always in broadcast, industrial, visualization and now litigation. All the companies I've worked for tended to shy away from game artist... it's just a different skill set. There are exceptions of course and I believe the gap between the 2 is narrowing.

NSXbomb
11-18-2004, 07:39 PM
lets be honest... the friend is you... hehe o.k. just had to say that.

anyway: there are a million outlets for talented CG artist.

he can create his own company and do small buisness commercial work. (you ever see the pill comercials with a little super character) it's simple and can pay big money..

he can also do work for the government. They pay really big for nothing... I did a few nasa animations and I got paid way better then the game biz and it was a thousand times easier.

then there is logo desing.. boring but easy and can pay well. couple grand per animated logo.

He can teach, but.... not really that fun.

He can write a book if he's really good. and stuff like that can lead to lots of things.

he can make tutorial DVD's

those are things that can continue to make money long after he's done the work.

The bottom line is.. all of these things take time but... he's in control of it. That's the thing.. becoming your own boss is the way to go.. and while it can be a little scary, with 9 years of game experience... it can't be any less stressfull and he'll be in control.

It's that transition to becoming self sufficiant that is the hard part. so doing a DVD tutorial or a book.. it's something that he can do to on his spare time (if he has any)

I'm in the same boat... 15 years making games, but I've done websites, paintings, and lots of side projects that I have enough money in the bank (they call it FU money) so that I could drop out of the game biz and try my hand at being my own boss...

without that FU money, it's a risk.

AIPh Pretzel
11-18-2004, 07:49 PM
I forgot to mention this guy has no college degree either. He is self taught. He's a senior artist and in the industry for about 9 years.
Tell us why you're really leaving.

Tan
11-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Tell us why you're really leaving.

umm, take a guess.:D

Morganism
11-18-2004, 09:05 PM
Hey, if he's in the bay area tell him to look for a job at the Academy of Art. They've been trying to beef up their game department.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.