PDA

View Full Version : need new hardware for XSI essentials

duch
11-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Hi all,

one of my colleagues is currently using softimage 3.9 (been using it for ages). He will soon move to XSI essentials.

He will buy XSI but also buy new hardware and he asked me what the best choice would be.
Along with XSI, he uses Photoshop and web stuffs (browser, mailer...).

Here is what he wants :

2 computers :
one to work
one to render with mental ray, so that he can continue to work on is main computer

I know that unless you buy a batch render license, you can't launch a render on a remote computer without involving you computer as a master (is this really true?).
But, he's not willing to buy another expensive license.
A simple workaround is to set priority of ray.exe to low in windows on the master computer, so that you can continue to work on others softwares. Of course you can't use XSI on the master during the render (do you?) but at least you can photoshop or check your mails.

Now that what he wants to do is explained, here is what i was thinking about :

master computer : Dell M60 (laptop for mobility)
slave computer(s) : either a bi-xeon system running windows or 2 P4 3.6 Ghz barebones running linux (ideally a minimal live cd mounted to ram to ease maintenance).

Here are my questions :

- Is the all idea completely stupid?
- The solution of the 2 small computers is less expensive and might be more efficient with a gigabit lan, but is it possible?
- does XSI for windows come with the standalone linux renderer?
- what would you do in his position (especially if my idea is stupid)?

thanks for your answers.

JoeW
11-19-2004, 10:51 PM
I know that unless you buy a batch render license, you can't launch a render on a remote computer without involving you computer as a master (is this really true?).

Uh - I *think* you get a few remote licenses with Essentials - I don't think you have to have a batch render license, but I could be wrong. Best bet is to call your reseller and ask them - they will have the answers to what licenses are included with what... I use my second computer to render my Render Regions as well as full renders - and it works just fine - but I'm not batch rendering.....

But, he's not willing to buy another expensive license.
A simple workaround is to set priority of ray.exe to low in windows on the master computer, so that you can continue to work on others softwares. Of course you can't use XSI on the master during the render (do you?) but at least you can photoshop or check your mails.

Now that what he wants to do is explained, here is what i was thinking about :

master computer : Dell M60 (laptop for mobility)
slave computer(s) : either a bi-xeon system running windows or 2 P4 3.6 Ghz barebones running linux (ideally a minimal live cd mounted to ram to ease maintenance).

Personally, I don't like laptops because they are expensive and so hard to upgrade - so I can't speak to that idea. If you know how to set up the Linux boxes, I think they would be the way to go for the render slaves - you can build both boxes for a lot less than a dual-xeon system.

Here are my questions :

- Is the all idea completely stupid?
- The solution of the 2 small computers is less expensive and might be more efficient with a gigabit lan, but is it possible?
- does XSI for windows come with the standalone linux renderer?
- what would you do in his position (especially if my idea is stupid)?

thanks for your answers.

I think it would be a good idea to call your reseller and ask them about the options for the different versions of XSI. I know that a new version is coming out soon, and they're adding things to it. As far as the hardware - yes, it's possible - but the configuration to get it all working together might be pretty involved....

duch
11-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Tkanks for your answers JoeW.

I will meet the reseller next week, but i wanted to have some info before to go and see him, just to make sure i don't forget anything.

For the remote render, that's what he told me on the phone... With essentials, i can't launch a render on slave machines without involving mine... weird.

Do you have any info on this new version (link?)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.