PDA

View Full Version : Illustrator files and Modo

Activator
11-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Hi,

Just want to say I'm amazed at how easy it's been to jump right into Modo! It's the first 3D app that's intuitive to use and (almost) fun to learn! :thumbsup:

I've only been using it for a day, but my first request is the ability to import Adobe Illustrator (eps) files. I do a lot of type-based work, and Illustrator is the 1st stop on the workflow train. Typography aside, Illustrator is also a great place to build outline geometry that can be extruded in Modo.

I know I can use LW Modeler to import the eps files, save and open in Modo, but it would be nice to stay in Modo the whole time!

Great app! Keep it up!

Pai Mei
11-18-2004, 01:52 PM
I think modo supports illustrator .ai files and not eps..i cud be rong tho

Xacto
11-18-2004, 04:32 PM
It works like a charm...

In Illustrator you must first save (or export if you have CS) your file as an Illustrator Legacy 8.0 (ai) document.

Then in Modo, just open it with the open commad! :buttrock:

enggass
11-18-2004, 08:09 PM
That worked great, text extrudes wonderfully, now another question...
My text faces on the 'EPS I opened' are open... How do I close the ends on the face of the text? I tried Make Poly etc, can't seem to figure it out.
Thanks, Steve

Activator
11-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Excellent! I should have *known* that Modo could handle AI files! :rolleyes:

Anyone know WHY Illustrator 9/10/CS don't play well with 3D apps? I have to export as an AI 8 for ZaxWerks Invigorator (After Effects 3Dplugin), Lightwave, and now Modo. Even worse, copying and pasting an outline file for use as a mask in After Effects can't be done with CS at ALL! I have to open Illustrator 10 and make the path there, then copy it! PITA

Silly stuff we have to live with...

Modo rules! :buttrock:

kjpayne
11-19-2004, 02:29 AM
I have imported my outlines in an ai file in ver 8.0 of a letter "P". Now how can you extrude it into text.

enggass
11-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Open your ai file, select the profile in Polygon Mode, then Mesh Edit > Extrude...
I still haven't figured out how to close the face or back of the extrusion however.
Steve

Pai Mei
11-19-2004, 03:25 PM
press p on the edge to close the poly..or go to polygon > make on the menu..

cheers

Pai Mei
11-19-2004, 03:26 PM
if nothings visible..the normals are reversed..so flip em and u will be able to see the polys

Pai Mei
11-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Another neat feature of Modo is the ability to fill all holes in your mesh with one command. The procedure goes as follows:

1. With nothing selected, hold down the control button. You will see the edge selection mode button turn to "boundaries". Click on that button. All holes in your mesh will be selected by edge.

2. Press "p" and watch those holes go away.-----taken from another member------(hope he/she dont mind)

enggass
11-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Not working for me... When I select edges and hit 'P', I get a Poly, but it is jagged.
Appears that it is connecting from point to point. It ignores the Curves in the Font.
???
Steve

kjpayne
11-19-2004, 04:42 PM
I tried the letter "P" and it does not work.

HELP

Activator
11-19-2004, 11:18 PM
OK.

1. I created a "P" in Illustrator, created "outlines" and saved as an Illustrator 8 file.
2. I opened the file into Modo, which worked perfectly.
3. I selected the edge and extruded it to form the outside edge geometry of the "P".
4. I selected the front edge(s) (outer AND inner hole in the "P") and hit p to make a polygon face... but it made a mess.
5. With the same edges selected, I went to the menu Geometry/Polygon/Create, and this puts a flat face on the "P". BUT it doesn't drill a hole for the inside of the "P".

In LW, when you import an eps/Illustrator file it gives you the option of creating the "holes" in the geometry. How can you do this in Modo?

Activator
11-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Hellooooo... anyone... is there a way to import Illustrator outline text and have the "holes" drilled out of the font automatically, or do I need to create 3D text in Lightwave Modeler (which sort of defeats the purpose of modeling in Modo)?

vater
11-24-2004, 10:21 AM
I opened a *.ai file in modo. I extruded it and all works fine. After that I used edge selection mode button turn to "boundaries" to select the edge. But if you use the "p" button or the menu option to close the open holes it looks really bad.
The spline editing gives not a really significant better result. It looks jaggy.
Has someone a hint?
Thanks!

ribbez
11-25-2004, 08:46 PM
to Activator:

sure you can copy/paste paths from illustrator CS for use as a mask in After Effects. just make sure to check the "AICB" option under "Illustrator > Preferences > File Handling & ClipBoard > Clipboard on Quit". on a fresh install, only the "PDF" option will be checked. check them both and your path will paste fine as a mask in After Effects. all this is on a mac though, i have no idea if this is valid under windows (i believe AICB to be a mac-thing of some sorts)... anyway, hope this helps!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.