PDA

View Full Version : Texture

Labuzz
08-25-2002, 06:07 PM
hello,

- Is there any way to use the "hypertexture" (procedural such smoky1...type surface.hypervoxels) in the basic tab in the surface editor for any channel.I say that because you can get some really good bump thing, i would like to have this in the surface editor for combining, layering....When you look at the texture preview in the hypervoxel window you see that you dont get this strange color that you have when you raise the texture value in texture editor. The problem is that you cant get bump thing with black and white procedural in the texture editor ( in other words to have bump thing you have to raise the texture value, then you get this colors and you loose a lot of control on your bump ).

-Another question : Is there a way to control the blur of the texture and procedural texture ( something like blur and blur offset in max or filter and filter offset in maya )(or another thing such the Catmul-Clark filter in Max)? Sometimes i need really sharp edge for still image.

-The last : Any way to have a gradient with an input parameter based on a simple projection gyzmo?

Sorry but i am a maya and max user and i think that Newtek should really improve a lots of things for LW8....

Tky and sorry for my english.

Eugeny
08-25-2002, 07:46 PM
1. U have absolutely the same textures in both Hyper textures and Surface editor...
Smoky 1,2,3 and others and many more are here.
I think what bump colours is only for visualization...
2. To blur procedural - play with "Small power"
To blur images - use (or not use) antialiasing button in texture editor.
3. Unfortunately no u can't map gradient with cubic or cylindrical projection - but u
can map using weight map and various distances to ref object on different axis...
U right Newtek mast improve lots of think in upcoming LW8.
Bdw can u have a ability to mix textures in Maya Max with different blending modes
(add, multiple, alpha, etc.)? Because in LW u can!
...and don't worry about your english - u have mach better then my ;)

-wT-
08-25-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Eugeny
...Bdw can u have a ability to mix textures in Maya Max with different blending modes
(add, multiple, alpha, etc.)?...

Yup, in Maya there's many nodes like that, i.e. add/substract, multiple/divide, blend and more.

Eugeny
08-25-2002, 07:59 PM
K and in Max?
Don't answer i know Max don't have it ...

Labuzz
08-25-2002, 09:16 PM
Just for you Eugeny :

As you can see same setting, same texture ( 80% texure value-> texture editor 80% texture amplitude->hypervoxel etc....)

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/borhan.berthet/bump1.jpg

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/borhan.berthet/bump2.jpg

And for the Blur....I dont want blur, i want sharp. In max and maya you can blur based on the distance to cam, and blur ( and sharp ) bypassing the distance to cam. So i want sharp because i need it on procedural for still image. With no AA you have some kind of sharp in the tecture but when you increase AA ( you blur the image ) so you need to push the AA to medium to get sharp again...

Eugeny
08-25-2002, 10:05 PM
Try to get -80% and invert layer...
The smoky algorithm is the same, the difference is Hypervoxels use this algorithm for some sort of displacement, try to apply Bump displacement option (if u in LW7.5), of course u need lot of polys to do that.

As for blurring - i don't know Maya but i know well Max and i can tell u what Max load images with diffauld blur so u see blured images and if u want to see your images in normal quality u need to reduce blur effect. LightWave load images unblured so u don't need to reduce this effect...
For bluring based in distance use Falloff tub its how many percents per unit texture value will fall ( usually 1-2% is good settings)
Hope i covered your questions :)
... and thanx for just for me :) he he

Labuzz
08-25-2002, 10:05 PM
This is a test render with the bump done with hypervoxel,very hard to get the same thing with procedural in texture editor,
but i have not enough control with hypervoxel...

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/borhan.berthet/bump3.jpg

Eugeny
08-25-2002, 10:08 PM
Ok try the minus texture value and inverted layer should work...

Labuzz
08-25-2002, 10:28 PM
Eugeny,

you should show some examples...Have you try to invert layer for smoky1...you dont get the same thing sorry.
For image blur in max, i know this already but i am talking about procedural here ( in max or maya you have this control for procedural ).
So my answer is: show it, and i want learn too.
tky :p

Eugeny
08-26-2002, 05:46 PM
Sorry for the long waiting - i was busy in my job...
Ok here the Bump settings...
As u see i used inverted layer with -100% for texture value for bamp layer and duplicate of this layer (but this time with 100% for texture value) for alpha.
The reason - this alpha layer remove the unnecessary spike effect - so the bump looks like more smooth.

Eugeny
08-26-2002, 05:48 PM
Here is the settings for HyperVoxels (one Null)
As u see the settings almost the same except of Texture amplitude (100 % effect is too narrow)

Eugeny
08-26-2002, 05:50 PM
And here is the Bump Displacement option using the same bump.

Eugeny
08-26-2002, 05:52 PM
As u see it's almost the same in all cases.
Just play around with settings and combine different blending modes.
Good luck :thumbsup:

Labuzz
08-26-2002, 06:21 PM
Tky a lot, its good info. but look at this for understand what i want to be able to control ( very important when you want 2 materials with procedural ).

And you should admite, its not so easy to get
(2 layers and the result is not the same...i am borring i know,lol)

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/borhan.berthet/control1.jpg

bone with Maya :

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/borhan.berthet/bone.jpg

Eugeny
08-26-2002, 06:35 PM
Yes i remember this picture u have posted this question in past... And i answer to use Crust texture... I'll try to get similar result.

Eugeny
08-26-2002, 06:58 PM
Ok here is :
This time i used Turbulence but i think this technique will work with ALL procedural.
First layer is Turbulence with minus value and 100% contrast - minus for getting the flat effect and 100% contrast for lower spikes (just play with it to see what i talking about) and this layer is inverted to get "holes" - not "mountains"
Second layer is almost the same but this time with Alpha blend and opposed (not inverted), also i get 99% to contrast this give some nice little spikes in holes areas (u can get 100% to completely remove this effect).
After that i changed the texture value for first layer to something bigger (-600%) to increase the overall bump effect.
That's all. Hope this time it's what u looking for...

Labuzz
08-26-2002, 07:27 PM
very nice result eugeny, Tky:) . but with this 2 layers can i have an alpha (with gradient or procedural)for the 2 for control the location? tky anyway, we progress with this.

Eugeny
08-26-2002, 07:41 PM
Yes u can , just add another Alpha layer...
And if u need to add another texture - add this texture and use the same alpha but inverted.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.