PDA

View Full Version : Character: Forgotten Android

cholbrow
11-17-2004, 07:45 PM
Im making a load of characters for a short space scene. This android has been captured by some space rouges. They are using her to open doors and break security codes on the derilict ships that they salvage equpment from. Anyway I used two maps, a 1024X1024 and a 512X512. She is about 7500 tris.

http://members.dxlab.com/cholbrow/etc/chickF.jpghttp://members.dxlab.com/cholbrow/etc/chickB.jpg

AdamAtomic
11-17-2004, 07:54 PM
the good - great design! I like the backstory for it too. Most of the joints are really cool looking.

the bad - the texture looks like it used a single 512 instead of 5 times that. depending on what this will be used for, i would either put that extra room for detail to use, or scrap it and remap the texture onto a single 512 sheet. I like the wear, but I think you should add it in more logical places - e.g. there would be VERY little wear in between her buttcheeks, but in all likelihood a LOT of wear on the buttcheeks themselves - same for the outside of the shoulders, the breasts, the palms, the feet, etc. I think the shoulder joint could use a little work too, its unclear (unlike the other joints which are excellent) how she achieves a normal human range of motion.

Pretty kickass, could just use some tuning and tweaking imo!

cholbrow
11-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the comments. Your right I cheeped out on some of the joints and textureing due to time constraints. (Ill go back and make changes once im done the project) also, the textures are going to be changed to (1)512 (1)256 as the final rez will be NTSC and I dont think that she has any close ups. I am currently working on a big worker robot (sort of a fork lift with legs) Ill be sure to take your comments about wear to heart when I texture him.

bronzefish
11-18-2004, 07:01 PM
I have nothing specific to comment on, though I think it's beautiful! :thumbsup:

Confracto
11-19-2004, 08:24 PM
the textures are nice and dirtly, but hte overall feel is too monochrome and plain...which really contrasts the glowing green spine. ..it just doesn't seem to belong to the rest of the body.
nice work though, glad to see you improve

cholbrow
11-20-2004, 11:35 PM
I kinda like the contrast, the spine is a glimps of her inner workings that are for the most part hidden by her battered extirior.

heavyness
11-21-2004, 04:22 AM
the textures are nice and dirtly, but hte overall feel is too monochrome and plain...which really contrasts the glowing green spine. ..it just doesn't seem to belong to the rest of the body.
nice work though, glad to see you improve
i agree. i like the contrast between the gray and the green spine, but its to much monochrome gray. look at the feet, then look at the rest, the feet stick out in 3d because they use different levels, but everything else feels flat.

other wise, really nice.

cholbrow
11-22-2004, 07:05 PM
What do you guys think of this? (our concept artist drew over top of the render)

http://members.dxlab.com/cholbrow/etc/chickD.jpg

JonShipman
11-22-2004, 10:35 PM
I'd add more wear to her. Like missing fingers, a missing eye, etc. Maybe make a leg nonfunctional so that when she walks, it'll be dragged.

southparx
11-22-2004, 10:48 PM
hi nice android

most certainly better with the lines (dunno what's it called - sorry english isnt my first language)

IMHO her midsection could use some more work...perhaps some machinery instead of right now

i hope i can be of any help, keep up the great work

Confracto
11-23-2004, 12:17 AM
since when did you guys have a concept artist after Sean and Maeg left? heh.
I like what they did though, really breaks up the monotony
and I agree on adding to the midsection, it is very plain

also, more wear on the parts that stick out, like shoulders and such...scratches would be a nice way to do it too.

lordmachuca
11-23-2004, 01:47 AM
the second version looks alot better. scratches would kick ass. there was comments made about the torso that I agree with. make it look more mechanical android like. like the chest.
maybe a transperancy on it so you can kinda see the spine and other mech organs. that could be cool.

krazeyhorse
11-23-2004, 02:12 AM
What's the polycount on this?

cholbrow
02-10-2005, 07:32 PM
sorry about the delayed post (i have been busy working)

here is an update. her texture is now a 512 the enviroment is made of 2X 128 maps 1x 64
i'm not so sure on the big pipe at her feet but well see
http://members.dxlab.com/cholbrow/pics/current04.jpg

Johny
02-10-2005, 07:36 PM
i love the model and the idea, the texture is ok but i would recomend to add more details and make some details less blurry...i can see some blurriness on the texture, and i doubt thats the texture size fault :D

Anyways very nice works, i like it, hope to see it finished :D

Relic
02-10-2005, 07:51 PM
That rendered version kicks ass. The environment you added fits her character perfectly, I agree that the original texture could've used some help, have you worked on it since or is the skylight (I assume) making this that much better?

cholbrow
02-10-2005, 08:05 PM
i have changed the texture to be more like the draw over. so I added differnt shading. The textures are a little more clear in the view port but this is made for ntsc so there is not much point in me fussing any more about it. The last time i did models for ntsc i overkilled on the texture size. Besides the texture i have also ajusted the face. Here eyes were too high on her head when she was blue.

Confracto
02-11-2005, 09:16 PM
the new version looks way better....good job :D

I think the problem with the pipe is that it's too floaty....it looks like half of it's hovering above the grounds surface, and doesn't really give it a sense of weight.

i think the only real complaint I have is that rust tends to be orange, not pink...though it may just be the render....oh well...

keep it up, can't want to see it finished

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.