PDA

View Full Version : Anything like Maya Paint Effects in XSI?

AKS
11-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Hey,

I have recently switched to XSI from Maya and was wondering if there was anything like Maya's Paint Effects in XSI? I'm trying to recreat the hair effect used in the animated short Emelia, detailed here http://sharktacos.com/Emelia/tricks/index.html . Any ideas on either how to replicate this effect or on how to get other slightly toony hair effects would be appreciated. Thanks,

-- AKS
www.fiercefire.com (http://www.fiercefire.com)

p.s. I am using Foundation so do not have access to the higher-end hair shaders.

francescaluce
11-17-2004, 12:50 PM
really anything and anywhere.. paintfx is paintfx.

ciao
francesca

AKS
11-19-2004, 11:56 AM
ok... Did I mention that I'm new to XSI and that I didn't really get into the rendering side much even when I was in Maya? A little more direction would be appreciated. I don't need a step by step, but a "hey you might find something like that if you were to look into _____ area of the program" would be cool.

-- AKS

Ablefish
11-20-2004, 12:12 AM
Heh, I think francesca was suggesting that paintfx is a pretty unique tool - and you're not going to find the equivalent in xsi. Weight maps will get you close to gap and artisan, but nothing like paint fx.

I just skimmed the article, and it looks like he's using the pfx hair brush to create maps that flow along the geometry? I suppose you could try the same thing with geometry - I'd just try to create something on a plane and then use the uvs of the nurbs geometry to flow it along. Dont' know if you should try extruded cylinders or what. Displaced geometry? I think there's a legacy fur shader in even foundation somewhere. Don't think it does a lot of flowy long hair though, even if it's just to generate a flat texture.

AKS
11-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Great, thanks for all the info. That was what I needed to know. If I get anything good working I'll post it up here.

-- AKS

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.