PDA

View Full Version : Zombie WIP

leigh
11-16-2004, 10:39 PM
Well what can I say... it's a typical ZBrush newbie type WIP... a lumpy zombie :D
But hey, I'm having fun and I'm using this to learn all the functions of this crazy piece of software. This was actually the least lumpy of all my zombies that I made hehehe.

One thing has been bothering me - the antialiasing on the edges. Any way to improve that? I've set all the anti-aliasing options to maximum but the edges still look rough. Perhaps I misunderstood some of the anti-aliasing settings? Any advice would be great! :)

Still painting textures and such, which is why some areas are still plain coloured. And to give credit where it is due - the skin shader is a slightly altered version of Sokars quadshader skin shader.

http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/images/zombie_001.jpg

I'm hoping to incorporate ZBrush more and more into my workflow as I think it's a fantastic tool! Especially since it's so much fun to use... :D

Oh and this might be a daft question... is there a way that I can seperate the teeth and tongue within ZBrush so that I can paint them seperately and assign seperate materials? I know about layers and such but I'm not sure about ZBrush's ability to isolate things according to poly selections like you'd do in a program like LightWave.

chadtheartist
11-17-2004, 12:45 AM
There are two ways that I know of how to seperate geometry so you can paint on just parts.

1. If your object has multiple pieces, i.e. if your face, teeth, tongue, etc... hold down the control + shift key + left click to hide all of the other pieces you don't want to paint. This will allow you to paint on just one piece at a time.

2. The other way to do this is to already set up your UV's for your objects. That way you can just use the different UV islands to control what will be hidden and what won't. The same hotkeys are used to hide geometry using the UV's as it is in step one, control + shift key + left click.

There may be other ways to do this inside of Zbrush, but I'm not aware of it. A third option would be to seperate the geometry in another 3D package, then import the pieces one at a time and paint them.

Your model is coming along nicely! Start adding some more bumps and scrapes and this guy will look very icky! I don't know if you've ever seen the zombie I did a few months back, but maybe he'll spark some ideas for you.

Have a look at him, but disregard the hands and pants... very nasty stuff there! LOL

http://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartist/.Pictures/new/zombierender14.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartist/.Pictures/new/zombierender15.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartist/.Pictures/new/zombierenderavatar.jpg

Ordibble-Plop
11-17-2004, 03:57 AM
If rendering in ZB, the usual procedure is to make the doc twice desired size and then use the AA-half button to get rid of the jaggies (not always perfectly).

To separate different parts of the model, you want to check out tuts/zscripts about the 'visibility controls' in ZB. These let you hide parts of your mesh as well as assign polygroups, which could be used to make e.g. your tongue one polygroup and your teeth (or each individual tooth) another.

leigh
11-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Thanks a million for the replies and advice!

chadtheartist - I think that using UVs will be the best way to select these... I can't believe I didn't think of that myself :blush: Great zombie by the way!! :D Yours is so bloated and icky... beautiful stuff!! The cut-open stomach is particularly great! I do love gore :)

Ordibble P. Lop - thanks for the tips! I've decided to use UVs for selections for now, but thanks a lot for the AA tip - I'll try that and hopefully it will improve those jaggies!

Wooo back to ZBrushing now... :D

krazeyhorse
11-19-2004, 02:39 AM
I love the texture quality on this model. Good work...

aminuts
11-19-2004, 05:23 AM
if you group your uv's and import it into zb and make sure frames are selected....zb should group it accordingly. Sometimes though I have imported a model and upon first look on import with frames on....it doesn't show up that way so I have to go to

tools>polygroups and select autogroups and it shows up then.

can't remember off hand but I think one of the grouping options will take changes in the uv's and group it that way as well.

plus you always have the option of choosing your own groups by ctrl-shift drag selecting and going to tools>polygroups and group visible. Which comes in handy if none of the above work for you. or you want to add a group within a group etc etc.

have fun experimenting!

Frenchy Pilou
11-19-2004, 07:01 AM
...surprised by the dark side of inspiration for quasi all modelers :rolleyes:
Maybe I have missed something somewhere :D (Really Nice Person ;)
You have now a very strong prog for crazzy research!
Have fun Zbrushing! :cool:

pnoland
11-20-2004, 09:57 PM
Nice. :) I especially like how the cheek looks like the skin is just melting off while the rest looks as if it had chunks ripped out. Hmm, that's not supposed to sound so gross. ;) Great skin shader also, did you make it yourself or use an exsisting one?

aminuts
11-21-2004, 07:27 AM
hi Pnoland

it was mentioned that Sokar's mat was used......this link should get you there......

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=5393&page=5&pp=15&highlight=sokar+material

I didn't have time to go thru the whole thread to find the latest incarnation but reading it won't hurt ya none either.....it's a fun and informative thread and might give ya some tips along the way!:)

leigh
11-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback and tips everyone :thumbsup:
I haven't had a chance to update this one because I've been rendering some commercials on my machine for the last few days :hmm:

Looking forward to getting back to some ZBrushing when the rendering is done though (I'm delivering tomorrow wooohooo) :D

krazeyhorse
11-23-2004, 01:17 AM
I think it look great, keep up the good work.

maxxx1138
11-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Hey,

Nice stuff.

If you wanna use more than one object in a model, check out the multi marker tool (the one with the M). Basically, you open a tool and draw it. Hit T to go to edit mode, then rotate the model to a view where you can place the other things to be placed on the model. Hit M. This will now store the information of the placement of that tool/model. So, let's say you did this with your head and wanted to add horns. Then, with the head still open, select the horn tool. It's ask you if you're sure you wanna switch tools. Say yes and draw the horn. Hit T to go to edit mode, then rotate, scale and place the horn on the head. Hit M again to store the placement info for the horn. Do the same with the second horn. Now, go up to your tools and choose the multi marking tool, which has an M with some weird shapes. Over on the right. THen draw with this tool and you should now see your model with the horns. Hit T to go to edit, then continue sculpting. You can then show and hide these individual pieces in much the same way you would poly groups (shift/ctrl and tap). this can allow you to build up rich detail on pieces and save out these pieces to be used later for whatever model you want.

Now, I am still new to zBrush, so may not be that great on answering questions about the multi marker tool. Only played with it a little. Seems pretty cool though.

cheers!

-Matt

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.