PDA

View Full Version : nurbs or polys?

Tamtam
08-25-2002, 03:18 AM
ok i guess polymodelling is the the way of modelling which most of you guys prefer but i wonder if there is something special about nurbsmodelling i figured out that its really difficult and you get many problems with patches breaking apart and charactersetup is difficult to with nurbs patches does anyone know if the professionel cgi studios have another stitching method then the standard maya has?and does anyone else of you ever worked with nurbs?

dmak
08-25-2002, 06:33 AM
Personally, polygon modelling is much easier in almost all aspects of model creation. you start simple, add detail where you need and smooth it out. Nurbs, you have to model every detail creating detail in areas you don't really need. Then you end up with an overly complex model thats hard to work with.

Of course I didn't go very far with nurbs, made a hand (which came out fairly well) but after doing it again in polys, I saw the light. So much easier to get nice results and refine the model that it's no longer a question for me as to using polys over nurbs.

Good Luck if you decide to stick it out with nurbs.

Grey
08-25-2002, 09:46 AM
a Hand is better using SUBDIVs anyway...

so far as NURBS being difficult:

http://www.rhino3d.com try a decent tool before you say that :D

verti
08-25-2002, 10:15 AM
also be sure to check out www.gestel.com and solidThinking... that's what i call real modelling... great app!!!

many pro's use it...

verti.

Tamtam
08-25-2002, 11:53 AM
on the other hand paintfx only work on nurbs surfaces i dont have problems with patchmodelling the only thing is that the stitch operation in maya doesnt work so well the patches are not breaking if you do it right but the tangency is really funky between the patches if you want to animate them with deformers

dmak
08-25-2002, 04:13 PM
Revising my previous post. I worked with nurbs a little longer than just making a hand, as I was evaluating maya. I bought a book called : Maya 2 Character Animation (new riders). A completely nurbs modelling book for character design.

As I went through the tutorials, I found it extremely hard to come up with the same results as the book and became frustrated with tearing at seams and unwanted wrinkles going all the way through my characters head. It's been a while so I don't remember the other issues that bothered me.

I feel that experience while more frustrating than rewarding may have been a result of the tool I was using (maya, I also gave it a shot in max which was worse at the time). However the way Nurbs works hasn't changed since I last played with them. I've met a few professional animators since who helped fuel my liking for polygons as I watched them create high quality models with nothing to slow them down.

So in my opinion Polygon modelling is a much more rewarding and effecient manner of modelling.

Dmak
www.3dimplant.com (coming soon)
www.faktorystudios.com

Tamtam
08-25-2002, 06:55 PM
i watched a the gnomon organic modelling video and got shocked how they were trying to get rid of the seam between the patches they were manualy editing cvs to get a tangency but in the alias wavefront training video for patchmodelling they had a much easier method
if you want to learn patchmodelling get this dvd its really cool

Grey
08-27-2002, 01:54 AM
that's odd...

doesn't Maya have a match-surface function to fix seams?

Tamtam
08-27-2002, 05:48 PM
hmmm well its difficult to explain first you atatch the patches then detatch and after that you stitch thats the way it goes

Grey
08-29-2002, 02:50 AM
In rhino there's a function called Matchsrf which matches the seams and control points, adding conrol points when necessary.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a similar function in Maya.

There's also a Mergesrf function which will merge two untrimmed surfaces.

HapZungLam
09-02-2002, 06:01 PM
before soft gets sub div, i use nurbs. because of the weighting problem, polygon with smooth will give you pain when riggin into the skeleton.

But seems now every 3D appz(i don't know about max) has sub div. subdiv rocks!!!:airguitar :airguitar

alias3d
09-02-2002, 10:28 PM
one of u guys tried to model a watch or a spiral with polygons?
polygons r very limited compared to nurbs, when u model a head with poly the more u add detail the more time u take to reshape the head its like creating the head from the begining, even dealing with non-weighted vertices..(linear mode) is kinda stupid if u want to make a quick shape , u have too smooth the enitre poly obj, and u endup with no accuracy at all..actually i dont want to talk more about that..cause i might stay here the rest of the day..anyway NURBS still rules

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.