PDA

View Full Version : foundation for linux

orion 77
11-15-2004, 07:23 PM
just wondered if softimage will realease foundation for linux since that would provide a viable option for those looking to freelance.
it gives those who are hard up a chance to do some work since one wont have to pay for the OS. gimp is free as a 2d package, film gimp can do some composoting and something like main actor is good for editing the clips.

Vertizor
11-15-2004, 08:25 PM
I can appreciate the fact that you want to see more commercial software on Linux, but I don't think "it would be good for freelancers" just because of a free OS is any excuse.

A freelancer would be working from home, so it's right to assume that they have a PC. If they can afford a PC, chances are it already came with Windows, or they can afford to buy Windows.

Why wait for XSI on Linux when there's already a Windows version of Gimp?

orion 77
11-16-2004, 10:34 AM
yeah gimp is available for windows but there is nothing else for video editing thats affordable or free.
nobody cares otherwise there would be more replies.

nothing more to say.

Vertizor
11-16-2004, 03:33 PM
I just went through the XSI product activation (request a key) process last night and it ask me what platform I was using. My choices were Windows or Linux. I thought Irix would have been on the list, but meh. So XSI is available for Linux. You might have to check with a reseller to see if Foundation is available for Linux. But I would imagine the high editions are and again, through a reseller.

Atyss
11-17-2004, 07:11 AM
>> I can appreciate the fact that you want to see more commercial software on Linux, but I don't think "it would be good for freelancers" just because of a free OS is any excuse.

>> A freelancer would be working from home, so it's right to assume that they have a PC. If they can afford a PC, chances are it already came with Windows, or they can afford to buy Windows.

I don't see any advantage of working on Windows other than the availability of softwares. I don't see either how pricing can be argued when it comes to Linux, as Windows is charged with the price of the computer (over here it's 200$CAN oem, 450$ in boxed set). Clearly to me there is a lot to save with Linux.

>> Why wait for XSI on Linux when there's already a Windows version of Gimp?

The Windows version of the Gimp is super unstable. This software is meant for Linux (duh).

Cheers
Bernard

orion 77
11-17-2004, 10:52 AM
my query was based on the prominance of suse/novell linux which looks like becoming the high profile/standard distribution for linux in the future. with the distro you get gimp, video editing software that is sold commercially and some half decent drawing tools.

there just seems like there is a potential market for softimage to take advantage of with its affordable foundation version.
many 3d companies dont seem to have the commercial nouse of other areas, adobe and macromedia being examples.

wmendez
11-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Soft is looking into a Foundation Version for Linux but no ETA on that. Stay tuned....

Vertizor
11-17-2004, 07:20 PM
I don't see any advantage of working on Windows other than the availability of softwares.
Umm... that's a pretty big advantage my friend. Even little ol' MacOSX has Linux beat in commercial software support. In the server room it wouldn't matter, but when you're trying to create digital content... see where I'm going with this?

I don't see either how pricing can be argued when it comes to Linux, as Windows is charged with the price of the computer (over here it's 200$CAN oem, 450$ in boxed set). Clearly to me there is a lot to save with Linux.
I wasn't arguing price. I know Linux is free. But choosing Linux just to spare the expense of buying a commercial OS is a little silly. If you're a freelancer you'll be spending thousands and thousands on software/hardware. $200 to $450 CAN for Windows would be the least of your concerns.

I understand our currancy is different, but you just got a HUGE price break on a great 3D package and you're going to scoff at it for the Windows license? If you prefer to use Linux for what it is then I can't argue with that. But don't go making it sound like Linux is the only option to save money.

nvvm
11-19-2004, 04:37 PM
You guys are being hostile for no reason at all, their are plenty of tools available for linux. If someone wants XSI for linux why is this a issue to you ? I personally would love to have it for linux then I'd pick up fondation for sure. On a side note is the documentation/tutorials that come with the 30-day similiar to the type of tutorials you recieve with foundation ? Anyway back on subject, if XSI doesn't come to linux theirs always maya when they respond with a similiar package\price.

Vertizor
11-19-2004, 06:39 PM
But XSI is available for Linux! Except the original poster wanted Foundations for Linux. Essentials and Advanced are available for Linux, and they compete at the same level as Maya Complete and Unlimited.

As far as documentaion goes, when you buy Foundations, you also get the 5 DVD Production series, that alone is $200 USD because it's a seperate product, but free when you buy any XSI 4 edition. Then there's the Fundamentals book which is a good some hundreds pages. You get a lot more than just that HTML tutorial in the trial.

Mazer
11-20-2004, 10:23 AM
And what about a 64 bits xsi ( at this time only for linux of course ) any plans on that ?Of course this would also implicate a 64 bits Mray, I´m I correct ?
I´m serously considering a Xsi/amd 64 platform so....

Oh, and for the other discution... if you have all 3d needs covered in xsi, all painting needs covered in gimp or even fotoshop via crossover, if you have basic video editing needs, or if I.E you have another machine (Like mac perhaps) for advanced compositing/editing (Shake/Final cut) etc.. why wouldn´t you want to run xsi, after all the most important part of the pipeline in a stable/virus free/defrag free operating sistem ? To each one is choices, in my case i´m also looking foward for a foundation linux. Peace

wmendez
11-20-2004, 02:56 PM
IF soft released a 64bit version of XSI why would they limit it to the Linux platform only?
If and when released it should support both Windows 64 bit (when ever that is finally released) and 64 bit versions of Linux.

Mentaly Ray is already available in 64bit.

Mazer
11-21-2004, 01:18 PM
" at this time only for linux of course " I said that because At this time the only os capable of runing 64 bit on a Pc is linux... I'm not saying soft shouldn´t work the 64 bit vertion for windows also, but for the moment they could release a linux vertion since there is already suport for that architecture, and softimage is known for being always ahead of the competition...
Also this way people on amds 64 would finaly get the juice of theyr sistems, not having to wait for the Wintel marketing move...
I'm sory if my last post was not clear, but againg anione knows if this is on the works?

nvvm
11-22-2004, 04:16 PM
But XSI is available for Linux! Except the original poster wanted Foundations for Linux. Essentials and Advanced are available for Linux, and they compete at the same level as Maya Complete and Unlimited.

As far as documentaion goes, when you buy Foundations, you also get the 5 DVD Production series, that alone is $200 USD because it's a seperate product, but free when you buy any XSI 4 edition. Then there's the Fundamentals book which is a good some hundreds pages. You get a lot more than just that HTML tutorial in the trial.To put it simply I do not own xsi, not yet if ever. But if they offered a linux flavor of foundation I would have bought it in a heart beat. I think that is what the original poster is talking about. I don't understand why having a flavor of xsi in the foundation package is a no go, it's really just a disservice to users who don't want to use windows. IT could possibly be that it's 64 bit, possibly, but then I wonder why newtek made their announcement ? Anyway that's another topic, point is windows will be 64 bit soon as well. So what does xsi lose if they offer foundation for linux ?

Also it's common knowledge that xsi has the free training offer and wiindows package of foundation. I was simply appalled by the documentation and tutorials they included in the 30 day demo, so much that it had me doubting the included training. WHy you ask ? Simple the package is suppose to be a cheap alternative to other more expensive packages, but what good is that if you don't know how to use or transition over smoothly to the software. For this good training is needed so the included training becomes the staple for the offer for new users to both 3d and new to xsi. Now with the software really depending on the documentation, for a broader acceptance and appeal why would you include such poor documentation ? And by the way I'm comparing it to the documentation of a cinema4d demo which I've been considering.

Vertizor
11-22-2004, 04:48 PM
To put it simply I do not own xsi, not yet if ever. But if they offered a linux flavor of foundation I would have bought it in a heart beat. I think that is what the original poster is talking about. I don't understand why having a flavor of xsi in the foundation package is a no go, it's really just a disservice to users who don't want to use windows. IT could possibly be that it's 64 bit, possibly, but then I wonder why newtek made their announcement ? Anyway that's another topic, point is windows will be 64 bit soon as well. So what does xsi lose if they offer foundation for linux ?
Actually I completely understand the original request for a Linux version of Foundations. This new price scheme is fairly new, so give it time and maybe it will happen. 64 bitness is irrelevant for now, XSI Essentials and Advanced already run on 32-bit Linux. A Foundation version would simply be a stripped down version of those. But my own speculation is that SoftImage wouldn't need the Foundation/Linux sales. They're probably making plenty of sales with Foundations/Windows already, and their customers whom currently use Linux are already buying Essentials or Advanced (I'm referring to studios). *End speculation*

Also it's common knowledge that xsi has the free training offer and wiindows package of foundation. I was simply appalled by the documentation and tutorials they included in the 30 day demo, so much that it had me doubting the included training. WHy you ask ? Simple the package is suppose to be a cheap alternative to other more expensive packages, but what good is that if you don't know how to use or transition over smoothly to the software. For this good training is needed so the included training becomes the staple for the offer for new users to both 3d and new to xsi. Now with the software really depending on the documentation, for a broader acceptance and appeal why would you include such poor documentation ? And by the way I'm comparing it to the documentation of a cinema4d demo which I've been considering.
That I have to agree with you on :) At first look the docs that came with the 30-day trial do suck. I just wanted to know how to move around the 3d viewports and couldn't figure it out. I made assumptions common to similar 3D packages, like holding down combinations of CTRL, or ALT, or Shift, and using all 3 mouse buttons. A quick start guide or ref card of common keystrokes would have been very useful. I'll give you a heads-up now: the 5 DVD Production Series training material that you receive as a "gift" are done in Flash. So there's no way to move back and forth (like if you wanted to see them do that last step again) and scan the movies. That was a big set back for me. If I wanted to see one small segment over again, I had to basically restart the whole movie. But if it is possible to track the movies in flash, they did a good job in hiding the controls because I didn't see it.

The package comes with a nice thick some-hundred paged book which should cover most of the things one would need to get started. It annoyed me that they teased us by going over features found in the other versions of XSI, basically completely useless info to Foundation users only to tease us that we didn't buy the more expensive packages.

XSI workflow, UI, the program itself and how you use it, has been criticised and it's been labeled as a steep learning curve. Well yeah it is, but that's what they said about Maya prior to 5 and 6. Personally I found XSI easier to learn than Maya, I'm comparing it to the PLE version. Maya PLE's bundled documentation is just as bad.

Apoclypse
11-22-2004, 10:54 PM
I'm a linux user. I only deal with windows because I use photoshop and such. When I fist built my rig I swore that it would be linux only. But my hardware was acting wonky. I XSI foundation would be great in linux. Linux is generally faster than windows when it comes to alot of tasks. Which is why big studios generally use linux for their pipeline. Which might also explain why foundation isn't really being targeted to linux users because they are targeting bigger studios with bigger budgets as suppossed to freelancers. However any studio would buy a couple of licenses of foundation for modeling and such and save themselves some money.

Vertizor
11-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Heh, all this bickering and look what SI does:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=190668

Looks like we will have Foundations for Linux after all, didn't take long. Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.